jQuery not supported.

5.3 oil consumption latest problems

5.3 oil consumption latest problems

Postby cj29541 [OP] » Feb 18 2013, 5:22am

I have had my truck for a year now bout it with 47000 miles currently has 63000 miles started having the oil issues a while back been through the oil consumption tests then the steam cleaning pistons and oil pan and valve cover change, and also put new lifters in incase the old ones were slightly damadged that was supposed to "fix " the issue. after a few thousand more miles i got an oil change before leaving to duck hunt in arkansas. after the 700 mile trip there notices a small knock to engine didnt pay it too much attention as to chevys and gmc can have a small tick to them sometimes. after a week of hunting the whole way back the truck seemed to lack pulling power and fuel economy seemed to drop. i was pulling a 15 foot aluminum boat but with any incline the truck acted like i was pulling a 40 foot yacht. after i got home i notice the knock seemed lounder and more frequent so i let the truck cool off and checked the oil and what do ya know all the way at the bottem of the dipstick barely even touching it. i had only driven 3000 miles i usually change my oil every 3 even thought they rec 5000 but if i would have wiated 5 it would have been dry. so i took it to the service shop yet again. this time they went in and looked and said they would need to replace pistons and rings and said this fixes all the issues from here on out . well a few days later i get a call saying they also have to replace the lifters that they just put in a few months ago because one had collapsed and some were chipped also had to replace camshaft bc it was chipped. so i let them do what they had to do because my patience was running thin. Got the truck back a few days later hooked up to the boat to ride the river and on the way there the truck held at 20 psi on the oil pressure gauge so the very next day i took it back to them and told them something wasnt right i have never seen my truck drop below 35 40 psi and never saw a drop while driving. so they called and said something about a n oil pump issue and then that didnt work so they knew it was something inside the oil pump or some crap and now after them having my truck for 2 weeks and me driving around in a freaking buick suv that has no hitch to pull 4wheeler or boat they call me and say we cant figure out whats wrong so we are ordering you a new engine and will have your truck for at least another week. i told them i had to have something with a hitch to drive for this week and they said that gm will only warranty the new motor until my truck hits its 100000 mile mark and not base it on the miles of the new engine i understand not warrantying the trans, drive train, etc but that dont seem right to me about the engine bc the oil issue still aint fixed yes its a new motor but gm still has not fixed the consumption issue. just thought i would get on here and rant and let all yall know how my gmc truck has been its freaking ridiculous sorry for the bad grammer and spelling too aggrivated to type corectly good luck with all yalls 5.3 s out there with oil issues
Original Poster
cj29541
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Still have no oil consumption   2012 oil consumption   Yet another oil consumption issue   2007 5.3l oil consumption   Yet another oil consumption issue   Oil Consumption Test   Oil Consumption Nightmare...Where from here????   How do I no my oil consumption is bad   oil consumption TSB fix   2013 Engine oil consumption   Oil Consumption 2008 Silverado 102xxx   Undergoing Testing About Oil Consumption Issue   Check In-Several Months of no oil consumption issues   my 2013 silverado oil consumption test scheduled.. 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 5.3 oil consumption latest problems

Postby pvoltmer » Feb 18 2013, 6:47am

I'm at the first stage of your story...getting new valve cover and replacing the damaged cylinder. I may ask them to do the pistons and rings while they have it so I don't have to bring it back in later for the same issue.

Good luck to ya!
2013 Silverado 1500 Greystone Metallic
Leveling Kit
Husky Floor Liners and Mud Guards
20% tint - 5% Brow
pvoltmer
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Feb 18 2013, 11:55pm

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please send us a PM if you're having issues getting this repaired with the dealership. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name + contact information , situation, dealership, and mileage. I hope this is repaired quickly for you. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cj29541 [OP] » Feb 20 2013, 2:40am

My service dept has been good at helpin me along the way I'm not unhappy with them just the issues with the 5.3 bc even though they are are putting a new motor in it the issues with the 5.3 still haven't been resolve an I'm sure after some mileage it will proly start to use oil
Original Poster
cj29541
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Boucher187 » Jun 27 2013, 1:59am

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra with 5.3 (AFM) and I just bought it 8,000 miles ago. It has 58,000 miles on it and I use MOBIL1 Fully Synthetic. I am doing my own test now. I went 2,300 miles so far on my oil change and check the photo. Should I be concerned? How low am I?? Does this oil look really dark?
Attachments
image.jpg
2009 GMC Sierra SLE (Crew Cab) | 5.3 L, 6-spd | 3.42 Gears | AFM
OEM Molded Mudflaps | TriFold Toneau
Boucher187
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 6-Speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cj29541 [OP] » Jun 27 2013, 4:26pm

Looks like it barely touching the bottom of the dipstick and if that's true to ahead and go see your dealer now if u have a factory warrantee bc it's just the beginning the new engine in my truck has been ok soo far hope your dealer takes care if you
Original Poster
cj29541
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Boucher187 » Jun 27 2013, 4:33pm

Yes. I think that I am over a Quart Low. I am going to fill it back up with a quart this evening. I have an appointment next Friday and GM is going to look at it and do their "Oil Consumption Tests". It is a 2009 with 58,000 miles so I am still under the 5 - Year (100,000) mile warranty thankfully!!
Boucher187
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jthunts » Jul 05 2013, 2:46pm

Well I just dropped my 07 5.3 Crew off at dealership. I bought used with 71,xxx and after first oil change was 1qt low, dropped off today with 76,xxx and low again. I am curious to see what they say since I paid $20,000 for a used truck and wondering what there solution will be?
jthunts
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 flex Fuel
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Boucher187 » Jul 05 2013, 3:39pm

Here is a link to the Bulletin. Make an appointment and have them look at this.

[url=usr/sites/silveradosierra.com/www/htdocs/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=70745]TSB# 10-06-01-008G Engine Oil Consumption Jan 2013[/url]
Boucher187
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Jul 05 2013, 4:13pm

This is why I won't buy a new(er) truck. My 01 barely burns any oil in my amsoil 10k intervals! And it's got 253k on it all original motor and gaining 200miles a day. Seriously 10k miles and burns just over a quarter of a quart.

I won't buy a new truck mainly because it'd be worthless in no time putting 1k a week on it... but I won't buy a used nnbs because I don't want a 5.3 that's been run with afm.. no telling what kind of timebomb you could get.

Im not tooting my horn for amsoil either... in my castrol gtx 5k intervals I couldn't notice any oil consumption.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor