jQuery not supported.

5.3L Burning Oil / normal?

5.3L Burning Oil / normal?

Postby canam13 [OP] » Aug 03 2011, 4:04pm

Hello all,
I purchased a 07" Sierra back in Dec. of 2010 with 31k. About 50% in to my oil life cycle I had the oil level low indicator come on in the dash, so I added a quart, no problems. Changed oil with full Syn. when oil cycle reached 5% about 2 months ago.After changing oil,again Low oil level light came on at about 65% of the cycle, added a quart and back to proper oil level. Is this normal for a 5.3 to burn a quart or so in bewtween oil changes?
I have checked and can't see any leaks or wet spots around block.
Thanks!
Original Poster
canam13
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE1 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Burning oil smell after major engine work, is this normal   A quart low on oil normal after 4k miles between oil change?   Burning Oil????   burning oil help!   Any non oil burning 5.3L afm's out there?   Is my truck burning oil, what to do   burning oil fast   5.3L Oil Burning--How bad is it really, and what should I do   The First Step to Stop Burning Oil   2012 sierra burning oil?   '95 TBi Running rough/burning oil?   AFM sucks burning a ton of oil   burning oil and cold starting hard   Trade Oil Burning Sierra (2009 - 5.3 AFM) 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 5.3L Burning Oil / normal?

Postby zacharyh687 » Aug 03 2011, 4:22pm

i know i read some where on here that gm says that is ok to me that seems like a lot but that is me i dont want mt engine consuming very much oil at all.

Also how many quarts did you put in when you changed your oil?
zacharyh687
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4L60E
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adams99z71 » Aug 03 2011, 4:25pm

yeah the 5.3 loves oil, one thing you should check is your pvc system. a clogged line or pvc valve can cause problems.
nbs99 z71 325ci v8, stock 4wheel disc brakes, no cats, flow master classic 40 series, rhino line, custom fog lights, cb, bully dog tunner, 4:10 locker, airbag load leveling, 205,000miles.
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Blogs: 2
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 325ci Z71 ext cab LS
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Z15 » Aug 03 2011, 4:46pm

There are some 2007 5.3L AFM engines that consume oil. What happens is the oil rings get caked with carbon and allow oil to seep past. It usually starts around 30,000 miles and only gets worse. Some engines eventually have to have new rings...but GM will run you threw many oil consumption tests and fixes before they will put in rings. They will not replace the engine because the problem is only on some vehicles. Basically oils turn to carbon and cakes on the rings on the cylinders causing the oil rings to not function and only on those that are shut down in V4 mode. Many service bulletins floating around the net on the fixes

Fixes I have heard about

replace a valve cover
install a windage tray to prevent oil from being sprayed on the deactivated cylinders
chemically clean the carbon from engine
install new rings

I may have left out a step. Some customers have been dealing with GM for years on the oil consumption issue.

This is a shameless plug for an AMSOIL Product. I sold some of this to a local GMC dealer who told me he has had success with a few trucks in stopping the oil consumption. The chemical flush GM recommends involves more work such as removing plugs, letting engine soak and changing oil. This is just added to oil and he claims it works a lot better.
Image Engine and Transmission Flush
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 121
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby canam13 [OP] » Aug 04 2011, 2:17pm

Thanks for the information guys. I far as I remember, I used 6qts at the oil change and was careful to make sure it was at proper level when doing the first oil change myself.
I bought the truck GM Certified so it is covered for awhile under warranty. Should I take it in to the dealer(1 mile away) and have them take a look ,just to have it documented?
I have a couple other questions also for them: hum from rear, tires?( still has the stock GY Wranglers on) and also have a small leak on back window.

Thanks again for the help :D
Original Poster
canam13
Topics: 4
Year: 2007
Extra Info: SLE1 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 » Dec 30 2011, 7:22pm

Theres nothing normal about it. The dealer will at first try to tell you its normal. If you are still under warranty print off the above listed TSB. I got a new valve cover and deflector shield installed in the oil pan. My valve cover on driver side was not sealing properly causing coonsumption. They cleaned the rings ect. then installed the valve cover. No more consumption! I did just get it fixed about two months ago however. Before that i was only draining 3 quarts out at every oil change with synthetic! I only have 30k on my truck however. Trucks with higher mileage who have had the consumption for awhile may need rings/pistons replaced. Dealer said if caaught in early stages like mine was my above mentioned fix cures 95% of the consupmtion issues. Hope this helps good luck!
dalejrfan88
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 ecotech
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8