Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

5.3L Burning Oil / normal?

64K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Bonemoto 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I purchased a 07" Sierra back in Dec. of 2010 with 31k. About 50% in to my oil life cycle I had the oil level low indicator come on in the dash, so I added a quart, no problems. Changed oil with full Syn. when oil cycle reached 5% about 2 months ago.After changing oil,again Low oil level light came on at about 65% of the cycle, added a quart and back to proper oil level. Is this normal for a 5.3 to burn a quart or so in bewtween oil changes?
I have checked and can't see any leaks or wet spots around block.
Thanks!

#3 ·
yeah the 5.3 loves oil, one thing you should check is your pvc system. a clogged line or pvc valve can cause problems.

#4 ·
There are some 2007 5.3L AFM engines that consume oil. What happens is the oil rings get caked with carbon and allow oil to seep past. It usually starts around 30,000 miles and only gets worse. Some engines eventually have to have new rings...but GM will run you threw many oil consumption tests and fixes before they will put in rings. They will not replace the engine because the problem is only on some vehicles. Basically oils turn to carbon and cakes on the rings on the cylinders causing the oil rings to not function and only on those that are shut down in V4 mode. Many service bulletins floating around the net on the fixes

Fixes I have heard about

replace a valve cover
install a windage tray to prevent oil from being sprayed on the deactivated cylinders
chemically clean the carbon from engine
install new rings

I may have left out a step. Some customers have been dealing with GM for years on the oil consumption issue.

This is a shameless plug for an AMSOIL Product. I sold some of this to a local GMC dealer who told me he has had success with a few trucks in stopping the oil consumption. The chemical flush GM recommends involves more work such as removing plugs, letting engine soak and changing oil. This is just added to oil and he claims it works a lot better.
Engine and Transmission Flush

#5 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I far as I remember, I used 6qts at the oil change and was careful to make sure it was at proper level when doing the first oil change myself.
I bought the truck GM Certified so it is covered for awhile under warranty. Should I take it in to the dealer(1 mile away) and have them take a look ,just to have it documented?
I have a couple other questions also for them: hum from rear, tires?( still has the stock GY Wranglers on) and also have a small leak on back window.

Thanks again for the help :D

#6 ·
Theres nothing normal about it. The dealer will at first try to tell you its normal. If you are still under warranty print off the above listed TSB. I got a new valve cover and deflector shield installed in the oil pan. My valve cover on driver side was not sealing properly causing coonsumption. They cleaned the rings ect. then installed the valve cover. No more consumption! I did just get it fixed about two months ago however. Before that i was only draining 3 quarts out at every oil change with synthetic! I only have 30k on my truck however. Trucks with higher mileage who have had the consumption for awhile may need rings/pistons replaced. Dealer said if caaught in early stages like mine was my above mentioned fix cures 95% of the consupmtion issues. Hope this helps good luck!

#8 ·
I have a 2015 Serra 5.3L with 30,000Km and it burns 1Qt between oil changes and has since new. I thought Chevy/GMC would have fixed this problem by now. So frustrated! My Toyota Tundra with 325,000Km doesn't burn a drop between oil changes something is wrong with chevy/GMC engineering.

#9 ·
In a normal service interval between oil changes (5000 miles), I'll always add about a quart sometime later in that time frame. Its the same with every LS/Vortec based engine I've ever owned. Especially the more hours they accumulate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.