jQuery not supported.

5.3L Burning Oil

Re: 5.3L Burning Oil

Postby koolz71 » Mar 16 2011, 3:58pm

My truck leaks a lil bit. All motors will use a lil oil. They absorb oil, and do burn. I know on my saturn, i hardly need to give it an oil change, i put so much oil in it lol....basically just need to change the filter..its the nature of the motor. Just keep an eye on it. It doesnt hurt to be proactive
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby themutt101 » Mar 17 2011, 12:18am

I worked for an engine shop for a while and did alot of head rebuilds, The rebuild it's self is pretty easy if you know what your doing. You would need to take the heads off to do it right. Once they are both off you might as well clean everything up. But it's still a job that you should have a professional shop do just to be safe. I'm not sure what the total cost would be, cause I never made out the bills. But you could save a good amount of money by taking them off yourself and putting them back on if your comfortable doing that.
themutt101
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 22
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 1500
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby vortexrob » Mar 19 2011, 6:30pm

hello my 99 silverado was burning oil also, so now at every oil change i add the engine Restore and it works.
however mine didnt smoke at start up. go to your auto parts store and give it a shot. it costs 9.99 for a v8 can. p.s i also use syntetic oil. hope it helps.
vortexrob
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Mar 20 2011, 2:35pm

I have been using Valvoline MaxLife oils in my old Dodge, and I like the results. It is supposed to condition the seals, and clean sludge. It seems to work well. But if you have been using a quality synthetic already, you may not see many benefits. May be worth a try, though.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby HMaster » Apr 11 2011, 5:49pm

I just left the dealer with My 2008 Sierra. A few weeks back my check engine light came on and it said no oil pressure shut off engine. I was 4 1/2 quarts low at about 3000 miles since my last oil change. The dealer wanted to do an oil consumption test (take it up every 1000 miles). So I just got back. It was 975 miles and I went through just over 1/4 of a quart. They say this is normal (not in any newer vehicle I have ever owned). I have a copy of the paper work from GMC. It states that it is considered NORMAL for my truck to use up to 1 quart every 2000 miles. Do any of you feel that it is normal???
HMaster
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex fuel
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EX-F150 owner » Apr 11 2011, 8:50pm

Yes,it is normal for an engine to consume some oil between changes. and only a little over 1/4 quart loss in 1,000 miles is nothing at all to worry about.
10 Silverado 1500 Crew LTZ 4x4 6.2L Nav-Roof-R/Entertainment-NHT GBM/Ebony
13 Enclave Premium AWD 3.6L Nav-Roof-R/Entertainment-HTR&Tow Package WDT/Cocoa
02 Lesabre Custom 3.8L MBM/Gray
01 Wellcraft 2400 Martinique MERC 5.7L EFI BIII
EX-F150 owner
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Topics: 64
Year: 2010
Extra Info: Built March20th2010
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SlateSierra » Apr 12 2011, 3:19am

I used to get some decent smoke for about 30sec on start up on my toyota. I ran auto-rx through it, following the directions on their site. I switched to a high mileage after the rinse stage and it was almost non existant at start up, and usage went away down. U may try that first. Good stuff
SlateSierra
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 SLT2 5.3L 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby My05Sierra [OP] » Aug 29 2011, 6:06pm

Update:

Well recently my oil consumption has continued to increase. Probably about (1) quart every 700 miles or so, and burning on start up has gotten rediculous. To the point that i hated starting it up when other people were around. It ensued a 20 min conversation as to why the thing was smoking, and it got old real fast.

I was searching on the forum and the internet and couldn't find much more info on how to treat the problem without rebuilding the heads. Then I was searching the AMSOIL website looking at what they had to offer and came across their engine/trans flush. I figured I would give it a shot in a last ditch effort before looking into the cost of rebuilding the heads.

I ordered the engine flush, filter and oil to do a full oil change. First of all I ordered on a Thursday and everything was delivered the next day, so heck yeah on the fast shipping.

I went through the directions for the engine flush and continued changing the oil. It was super easy and took a half hour to change the oil instead of 15min. So over the weekend anytime I would start it up, I would stare through the mirrors looking for the huge plume of smoke that tends to follow.... but NOTHING. I even had my fiance start it one morning while I stood behind it, and still NOTHING.

Granted it has only been a few days, but not seeing the huge plume of smoke on start up has me excited that maybe my issue wasn't as severe as I thought and sludge build up in the heads was the cause of me burning oil.

I plan on keeping an eye on it and will difinitely keep an update going.
Original Poster
My05Sierra
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2005
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Trumpster1 » Aug 29 2011, 6:18pm

Funny that you just updated this, my '07 with 55k just threw a warning at me that my oil was low. It's been about 3500 miles since my oil change. I've NEVER had a vehicle burn oil like this. I put a quart in it and the warning still comes on. I'm wondering if this is something worth taking to the dealer for warranty on the power train, right?

Please feel free to contact me anytime at: Trumpster1@silveradosierra.com
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 133
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Z71 CC 5.3L V8 3.73
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby My05Sierra [OP] » Aug 29 2011, 6:29pm

Well as far as it burning oil. Unless you are burning more than a quart within 1,000 GM considers it to be normal oil consumption and they won't do anything.

As far as the low oil light staying on when there is sufficient oil in it, than yeah I would take that to the dealer and have them fix that.
Original Poster
My05Sierra
Topics: 4
Year: 2005
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8