jQuery not supported.

5.3L lost compression in one cylinder &...

5.3L lost compression in one cylinder & fouled plug, caused misfire or some such.

5.3L lost compression in one cylinder &...

Postby pennhead [OP] » Apr 30 2013, 2:20am

Past Friday night was raining, drove truck in 4WD auto. Parked overnight, remote start next morning, hopped in and accidentally tapped accelerator bringing RPM's up a little (not a rev), and then inserted key and turned on ignition. Put truck in reverse and loud womp-womp-womp-womp with accompanying vibration from engine. Service Stabilitrack message, Traction Control Off message, Check Engine light popped on. I switched to 2WD, no change. Put truck in park, engine smoothed out some, shut off and restarted, put in gear and same scenario as before. Was somewhat reluctant to go back in park.

GM mechanic told me sounded like it was misfiring. Didn't want to drive to dealership for fear of washing out misfiring cylinders, so had it towed. Got a call and they say need to replace pistons! One cylinder has low-or-no compression and oil-fouled plug. I'm having trouble remembering exactly what he said because I was so taken aback and in shock when getting the news. $3000 to replace the one piston! He said might as well do all for another $600 and basically have a new engine. That would get new lifters, too. I am distraught!

The truck has 89K miles, however is about a year out of warranty. It had an oil-fouled plug in the past and using a little oil, but they addressed that with the splash shield under warranty some time ago. I asked them to see if they can somehow repair this under warranty, so they will be checking into that tomorrow. No promises, they said, but they will check.

I asked how this could just happen so suddenly, and he said it's probably been getting this way for some time. I get monthly diagnostics from OnStar, and there's never been any indication that anything was awry.

I'm sorry about rambling on and the disjointed grammar, it's just that this all seems so incredulous and I am just sick. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Original Poster
pennhead
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71 Nu Body
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 5.3L lost compression in one cylinder &...

Postby ThomasG » Apr 30 2013, 2:43am

Dropping new pistons in doesn't make it a new engine, that's BS. How can they tell that the piston failed without taking the engine apart? Just by doing a compression test? When a piston is causing low compression it must be completely toast and should cause noise aswell. I've seen broken valve springs causing the symptoms you mentioned. I would let them exactly explain how they diagnosed the issue and take some pics if possible.
2013 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 5.3, greystone metallic, black GFX runningboards, HD mudflaps, trifold box cover and boxliner, Gibson headers, catback dual pipe on right side, Airaid intake tube, Diablo InTune, 2" drop shackles
ThomasG
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 LTZ Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby GM Customer Service » May 02 2013, 2:42am

pennhead wrote:Past Friday night was raining, drove truck in 4WD auto. Parked overnight, remote start next morning, hopped in and accidentally tapped accelerator bringing RPM's up a little (not a rev), and then inserted key and turned on ignition. Put truck in reverse and loud womp-womp-womp-womp with accompanying vibration from engine. Service Stabilitrack message, Traction Control Off message, Check Engine light popped on. I switched to 2WD, no change. Put truck in park, engine smoothed out some, shut off and restarted, put in gear and same scenario as before. Was somewhat reluctant to go back in park.

GM mechanic told me sounded like it was misfiring. Didn't want to drive to dealership for fear of washing out misfiring cylinders, so had it towed. Got a call and they say need to replace pistons! One cylinder has low-or-no compression and oil-fouled plug. I'm having trouble remembering exactly what he said because I was so taken aback and in shock when getting the news. $3000 to replace the one piston! He said might as well do all for another $600 and basically have a new engine. That would get new lifters, too. I am distraught!

The truck has 89K miles, however is about a year out of warranty. It had an oil-fouled plug in the past and using a little oil, but they addressed that with the splash shield under warranty some time ago. I asked them to see if they can somehow repair this under warranty, so they will be checking into that tomorrow. No promises, they said, but they will check.

I asked how this could just happen so suddenly, and he said it's probably been getting this way for some time. I get monthly diagnostics from OnStar, and there's never been any indication that anything was awry.

I'm sorry about rambling on and the disjointed grammar, it's just that this all seems so incredulous and I am just sick. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Hey,

I am really sorry to hear about this and would like to do more research on your vehicle. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number (VIN), current mileage, and where you took your vehicle in for diagnosis. This will allow me to look more in depth on your vehicle.

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby pennhead [OP] » May 02 2013, 2:17pm

Good news, friends. Service Manager at dealership called and informed me that engine would be repaired courtesy of Chevrolet. Let me tell you, that lifted a heavy burden from my shoulders. Instant relief!

Jessica L., I appreciate your comment and desire to help. Looks like it's taken care of. I will update here as things progress.
Original Poster
pennhead
Topics: 1
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71 Nu Body
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » May 03 2013, 2:46am

pennhead wrote:Good news, friends. Service Manager at dealership called and informed me that engine would be repaired courtesy of Chevrolet. Let me tell you, that lifted a heavy burden from my shoulders. Instant relief!

Jessica L., I appreciate your comment and desire to help. Looks like it's taken care of. I will update here as things progress.

That is Awesome!!! I'm really happy to hear that everything was resolved to your satisfaction. If you have anymore issues or concerns don't hesitate to contact me.

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8