jQuery not supported.

99 silverado water pump

water pump replacement

99 silverado water pump

Postby stackEZ [OP] » Jan 03 2012, 7:44pm

I have a 99 silverado just over 200k miles lately i've noticed a small puddle under the truck in the morning. Took it to the shop that i always went to for the last 8years and they told me its the water pump....now some time in mid 2010 i had the water pump replaced....now I need a new one already?? they said thats all they last. I think thats a bunch of Bulls*%@!!!!! they also said it only leaks when cool, not while the engine is running and warm. Is that possible?? If so could that be a seal or gasket of some sort? Or is this early indications of a failing water pump? Should I replace the whole pump? Whatever the case may be I'm doing it myself this time....I'm not paying almost $400 for them to do it and tell me I need another one next year. I've seen some vids on doing it and I feel very confident that its something I can perform. Any tip, tricks, or suggested replacements that I can get from you guys and or gals would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks guyz + galz.
Original Poster
stackEZ
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 V8 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 99 silverado water pump

Postby Xceler8 » Jan 03 2012, 8:59pm

Sounds more like a gasket issue than a bad pump, unless the faces are some how no longer flush I would try/check the gasket route first.
Xceler8
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 6.2L 4x4 Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby stackEZ [OP] » Jan 03 2012, 10:20pm

Now when you say faces I'm assuming you mean how the face of the pump meets the engine?? And when you say gasket route do you mean the positioning of the gaskets and make they're seated right?? Thanks for the reply.
Original Poster
stackEZ
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Xceler8 » Jan 03 2012, 10:29pm

yes your right on the faces and no i mean replace the gasket before doing the whole pump, while you have it off ou could check the faces and such to make sure everything check sour before you put it all back together. theres a bunch of mechanics on this site so hopefully one of them will see this and be able to give you a better diagnosis, this is just my opinion as an engineer lol
Xceler8
Topics: 7
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 6.2L 4x4 Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby stackEZ [OP] » Jan 03 2012, 10:44pm

Yea I understand...thanks for the info/opinion.
Original Poster
stackEZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vogelm1 » Jan 03 2012, 11:30pm

Once the pump is off, it'll also be easier to see staining or wetness near the weephole on the pump (if indeed the pump itself was leaking). I've had pumps go 200,000 miles - never ever replaced the one in my '96 Yukon; but I've also had one go in our car at 40,000 and ended up going again less than 20,000 miles later. I think sometimes it's possible to get a "bad one". I seem to remember the auto parts store offereing me a cheap version or "OEM quality" version of the pump when purchased too - I'd go for the higher quality part and not look back.
vogelm1
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mr. Horsepower » Jan 06 2012, 5:30pm

I think the early 5.3's had issues with water pumps...I seem to remember reading something about them on consumer reports a while back. My girlfriend had an '04 Tahoe with the 5.3 and I replaced the pump twice before 100k. Both had water coming out of the weep hole. The first pump I bought was a rebuild from a local shop - probably a bad idea. The second I got from Napa, they offered a lifetime warranty, and I never had a problem with it after that. It was around $160 if I remember correctly, and the job took about 4 hours total to put in myself.

I agree with the others, could be a gasket problem. When replacing a pump you need to make sure both surfaces are completely clean and all sealants/leftover gasket material from the previous install is gone. I even took a little fine grit sandpaper to my block before I reinstalled, just to make sure it was smooth. Then put a small bead of silicone sealer on both sides of the new gasket, just not too much where it will squeeze out the sides and get in the path of the water flow. Give it an hour to dry before putting it back on the block. I've also seen guys torque it down too much also when reattaching to the engine that the gasket will actually tear - those things are pretty cheap and somewhat delicate. Maybe this is what happened the last time you got the pump replaced...

Also, be careful with the thermostat housing (I can't remember if it attaches directly to the pump or not). My first go around with this I cracked the housing when I was reinstalling and had to buy a new one.

The vids are a good place to start, but get a Haynes repair manual. That's what I used for the entire job and it was really straightforward and not too difficult, just time cosuming.
Mr. Horsepower
Topics: 2
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 06 2012, 7:26pm

It could be a bad pump seal, causing the pump to leak out of the weep hole. It's not normal for them to go bad after such a short time, however, it has been known to happen. A lot depends on the overall condition of the cooling system. If it was in bad condition and had a lot of rust and corrosion in it, that can lead to premeature seal failure.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby LEO » Jan 06 2012, 8:19pm

i replaced my wp on my 01 with a brand new aftermarket one after about 2-3yrs. i'm not sure of the mileage. the original was leaking from the gasket. i was told i could just replace the gasket but i decided to replace the entire wp. since i replaced it, i did not have any issues with it even after i had installed a performance cam in 2007.

i would check to see if the gaskets were installed correctly before replacing the whole pump again.
did you get lifetime warranty on the wp?
09 CC SILVERADO LTZ| BLACK GRANITE METALLIC| 6.0L L76| 6L80E| 3.42|DROPPED W/ HELPER BAGS
LEO
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2009
Extra Info: CC LTZ 6.0L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby stackEZ [OP] » Jan 08 2012, 5:11pm

LEO wrote:i replaced my wp on my 01 with a brand new aftermarket one after about 2-3yrs. i'm not sure of the mileage. the original was leaking from the gasket. i was told i could just replace the gasket but i decided to replace the entire wp. since i replaced it, i did not have any issues with it even after i had installed a performance cam in 2007.

i would check to see if the gaskets were installed correctly before replacing the whole pump again.
did you get lifetime warranty on the wp?

i dont even know...when i went to the shop the first time they said it was the wp and i said fix it....and that was it. when i buy this one i'll make sure it has one.
Original Poster
stackEZ
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8