Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

AC Delco Spark plug wires

33K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  gmcultr 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I just went through this with my truck, too. The 9748GG wires are for the Delphi round coils with the heat-sink on top. These are what my 2000 GMC needed.

The 9748HH are for the Melco square coils. As far as I know, the only real difference between the wire sets is the length.

If I had to guess, I'd say your 2005 takes the GG wires. I think the Melco coils were only used in earlier models.

#7 ·
No problem. I think the HHs are longer because the Melco coils are shorter than the Delphi coils. They'd probably work, but might rub on something.

Just don't listen to Amazon's part finder. Every time I've bought a part from there, it tells me that it's the wrong part for my truck. Now I cross reference part numbers with the part finder at AC Delco's website.

#10 ·
I've done some "research" and understand that OEM plugs are the way to go. Am I to understanding that OEM wires are the recommended as well? I was looking at some MSD 32829 RED 8.5 Wires and was wanted to give them a try. My top priority is performance(but I was also drawn to them because they're red) So... Good? Bad? Sorry for sounding redundant. I have a difficult time navigating this site. Thanks for any responses in advance.

#12 ·
I like the ngk tr5ix plugs.... they're essentially the same plug as the acdelco iridiums.... for those that don't know acdelco doesn't really make most of their parts.... the plugs just happen to be made by ngk and relabled acdelco....

I usually just buy what's cheaper between the tr5ix and the acdelco.... just happens that currently I have the tr5ix's in both my 4.8 and 5.3.... both run great idle smooth and get good fuel economy as good as youd expect from acdelcos... 4.8 is 70k in to it's plugs.... 5.3 only about 13k or so....

Caution though.... the easily confusable tr55ix ngk plugs have too large a gap for a stock 4.8 or stock 5.3 and they would possibly make your truck run poorly.

Sent from my SCH-I535

#13 ·
I'm stock running a stock setup minus a drop in. So OEM it is. Thanks for taking the time on such a beat down subject. It's a bit more reassuring to ask a direct question and get a direct answer.

#15 ·
Bostonmaniac781 said:
Now that i know they are called delphi and melco coils, i did a search and found this...
Currently I'm digging through this same issue myself, trying to make sure I get the right parts to swap my plugs and wires. The illustration is appreciated. But, the whole "round vs square" thing seems unclear because there's some variable perception to that. But, saying that the Melco coils have bolts at the top and bottom, and the Delphi coils have bolts on either side, seems to be very clear and impossible to confuse.

Just my 2 cents worth.

#16 ·
gmcultr said:
I like the ngk tr5ix plugs.... they're essentially the same plug as the acdelco iridiums.... for those that don't know acdelco doesn't really make most of their parts.... the plugs just happen to be made by ngk and relabled acdelco
A little off topic here, but I'm not totally convinced of that.
My boat, which has the marine version of a 305, uses MR45 AC Delco plugs....but it won't hardly run on the NGK marine version of that same plug....

#17 ·
roorancher said:
gmcultr said:
I like the ngk tr5ix plugs.... they're essentially the same plug as the acdelco iridiums.... for those that don't know acdelco doesn't really make most of their parts.... the plugs just happen to be made by ngk and relabled acdelco
A little off topic here, but I'm not totally convinced of that.
My boat, which has the marine version of a 305, uses MR45 AC Delco plugs....but it won't hardly run on the NGK marine version of that same plug....
It's not true for every plug, but it is true for the tr5ix and 41-110... or at least it waa. Ngk worked with gm to develop this plug. Some early NBS came with ngk plugs from the factory, it's well established. But I also think someone besides ngk makes the 41-110 now too... their packaging has become cheaper since this was originally posted... lacking the protective cardboard tubes around the bottom of the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.