Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Burning oil since switching to Amsoil

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JCunningham 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 1500 5.3 flex fuel with 55k. I recently switched to Amsoil extended drain full synthetic and since then I have noticed an increase in oil consumption. I also have a 2011 hyundai sonata with the exact same issue. I have read alot from amsoil and from what I can tell it is doing the exact opposite of what it should do. Also, a friend has a 2006 avalanche who is experiencing the same problems. Any ideas or help would be great! I want to continue the amsoil but with the cost & need to add oil regularly I am not sure if is beneficial.

#2 ·
Funny you bring this subject up. I tried Amsoil in my 2008 Dodge Ram that I had and one of my Harley's, same thing, burned oil at an unacceptable rate. Switched to another synthetic oil on both vehicles and had no problems afterwards. I still use their 2 stroke oil in my SkiDoo snowmobile's with no problems though.

#3 ·
No issues here. I have used 75% of my OLM (about 7,000 miles) and have not used a drop. No sure what to tell ya...

#4 ·
Years ago, I was told changing oil brands, after years of using just one brand, could dislodge built up and create a situation where you burn oil. The moral of the tale told to me, was switch brands once in awhile, or never switch brands.

Different brands may have different detergents.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one. I guess I don't understand why this would happen when Amsoil is supposed to due the opposite. I realize that the 5.3 uses a bit of oil but it is also happening in my wifes 2011 sonata with 35k. Just seems strange. I am hoping the Amsoil guru will chime in and let me know whats going on.

#6 ·
Usually, if you type the words Amsoil, Mike and Z15, he appears.... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.