Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Chirp sound while driving

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  luke.spencer 
#1 ·
So recently bought a 1997 GMC Sierra, before I bought it I noticed a intermittent chirp/squeak while driving. I told the seller and he said that he thought it was the serpentine belt, so he replaced it. When I came back to buy the truck, no squak, problem solved right? Wrong. The chirp came back after doing some highway driving and is accompanied by a momentary loss of acceleration/power.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Take the belt off and check all the pulleys, something is seized (alternator, AC compressor, waterpump or belt tensioner) causing the belt to slip, what makes the noise.

#5 ·
Definatly the tensioner chirping. Loss of power is coincidence. Your belt only runs accessories, battery runs computer which runs the electronics. Alternator charges the battery. Test your battery for proper voltage and charge and check connections. Also check ground straps to see if any are loose. That could interrupt power distribution and cause power loss momentarily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.