Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Constant ticking?

34K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Speed 
#1 ·
Just bought an 05 sierra yesterday loving it so far , it's the Nevada edition and z71 package.

Already noticed hard shift between first and second but have been told this is normal. My real concern is the engine seems to make a constant tick , almost like a diesel sound(more noticeable around wheel wells) truck seems to be running fine ? No CEL and sounds normal when driving. Just the tick really bugs me lol. I had a '99 silverado with way more miles and don't remember it making the same sound.

Any suggestions are appreciated :) hoping its normal with these engines, or not an expensive fix.

Also my truck has 196,000 Km

#3 ·
^^^^normal. Might be time for a trans service, drop the pan, inspect, install new filter and refill the trans to correct amount, drive for a while and drain fluid and fill again. Not a good idea to flush with that many km's on it. IMO.

#4 ·
No no warranty it was used from some corner lot. We looked it over really good and it seems fine. I've been told the lifters go in these trucks but that wouldn't cause a constant tick would it? Thought it would just be at start up. Really worried now lol... But I've seen people post saying they've had ticks since day one even on the new chevs and they're still going strong...

Hopefully someone's experienced the same thing and can elaborate lol. I don't wanna start dropping lots of money on it if its an easy fix or it's nothing to worry about

#5 ·
It's your fuel injectors that are ticking. The lifters on your truck really shouldn't be an issue if it was maintained well. IF it is a lifter you will hear the tick with the RPM's.

#6 ·
Cool ill rev it at idle and see if the tick gets louder then ? If its injectors is it a bid deal? Or will a bottle of injector cleaner fix er up lol.

Bottom line should I be worried? I love the truck but if the engine is waiting to go I'd rather try and return it as I've only had it for 2 days ...

#7 ·
I would say if it IS running good you are good to go. Lots of fuel injector treatments out there, it just what you like. Youtube 5.3L and listen, you should be able to hear what you are hearing on your truck.

#8 ·
Cool thanks for the help guys ! Signed up for just that question and got instant answers lol love it. I'll check out the videos and try not to worry about it, I'm really OCD buying used stuff lol

#9 ·
A ticking sound from the fuel injectors in normal. It should not be very loud, and mostly only heard at idle or a little above as the normal engine noise will drown out the ticking as revs increase. A lifter issue is usually louder than an injector, and can just be noticable at idle, or throughout the rpm range. A lifter noise can also just be upon cold startup, and go away as the engine oil pressure increases. A cracked or loose exhaust manifold can also make a ticking sound. I guess the point that I am making is that the ticking can be caused by many things. If you have a good mechanic, take the truck to him to diagnose. Then you can make a decision regarding whether or not you want to keep the truck or not. I almost always have a used vehicle checked out before buying it.

#11 ·
Turned out to just be a crack in the manifold so i'll just weld it up. :D

My G80 locker is going though and i've heard they're poor quality so thinking of getting a true trac detroit locker (think that's what it's called) any other suggestions for a good LSD?

#12 ·
You could, but I really doubt the G80 is "poor quality". They work great in both my trucks :)! If you're going to do some serious off-roading, then you'll need to swap it out, but I'd just replace it with another G80, if it were me.

#15 ·
I know this reply is very late but i just recently noticed the ticking noise after changing my oil to 10w30 but the ticking/rattling noise is coming from almost the drivers side exaust manifold no bolts are missing nor are there any cracks i know my oil filter is fine and it doesnt sound like the injectors are the prob. I crawled under the truck and had paps rev the engine this is when i heard the tick turn to almost a rattle as the engine reached higher rpms. And suggestions on what the problem may be or how i can resolve this noise.

I know the truck is running fine i just cant stand hearing this noise and dont want it to progressively get worse.
2000 5.3l sierra slt, 3in body lift, 33in toyo a/t radials on 16" moto metals

Attachments

#16 ·
I have the same issue in my 2000 6.0, ticking/rattling. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of it and it seems like I am just chasing it. Have tired Regular 5-30, 10-30, 20-50 and synthetic 5-30 and neither ones seems to be all that much better (have oil leaks now since using synthetic). Seems to be louder with new oil at the moment. I have also tried Seamfoam in gas, oil, vacuum line & intake tube. Also tried Lucas Stabalizer, Lucas Oil Leak Stop and Trans Fluid in oil as well as another cleaner that you flush for 5 mins.

Currently it seems to be quiet right at startup but if you leave it idol for 5 mins then it will start ticking, once you drive it goes away right away until you leave it sit for a while. Some days it doesn't do it at all on startup.

It is a little better then it has been but I am at a total loss for solving problem....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.