Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Consumption, Fouled plugs, and the (soon to be) fix

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vkh 
#1 ·
I had to vent a little of steam off before i blew a gasket (get it? Anyway..)

For a little background. My 09 has 45k mi on it now and I've been browsing through depths of this forum since I bought my truck in Mar 13. My truck was Factory Certified when purchased and I have the remainder of the 100k drivetrain warranty intact. After reading all the posts I dreaded the day that I noticed my new (to me) truck would exhibit any signs of this almost fatal engineering flaw. After my 2nd oil change had been completed (at the dealer for it all since they through it in when I bought it), I noticed the tell tale "ticking" after start up, of low oil. I checked the dip stick and found, as I suspected, the oil was indeed quite low. I added a full quart and went on my way. Did more research into the consumption issue and found all i could ask for. I went to my dealer on my next oil change and ask to start the Oil consumption test. They obliged and went on my way. 1st reading and they said that my oil looked "ok". I felt that they may be giving me the run around. About 2000 or so miles later, about the time for my 2nd reading, i was sitting at a red light and noticed a VERY rough idle. The first time for me. I came back to my favorite forum and dug even deeper into the issue. After reading all the tribulations of other GM owners i thought my problem may not be as bad since I didnt have a Check Engine Light on. Later that week the light came on. I had finally had enough. I called my dealer to set up an appointment. The earliest that could get me in was this morning (2 weeks after first Check engine light came on). I brought my truck in this morning and after i explained my situation (armed with a wealth of knowledge), the service rep took my truck back and returned in 20 mins. She said, as I suspected, the #1 and #7 plugs were fouled. However, they couldn't do anything further since their "engine diagnostician" wasn't going to be back into the shop until tuesday. I was also informed that the diagnostic will take about a day of work and that i wouldn't be offered a rental/courtesy car until the service tech gave the order for the work post diagnosis.

So i will be bringing my truck back to the dealer on tues morning for at least 1 day probably more like 3 days. The service bulletin says that the new valve cover should be all that is required to fix the issue, and i hope that it is. Also I hope that if I continue to have issues (as some have had) after this "fix", i hope that they will take the steps required to replace the motor. I will keep you all updated with the progress.

See less See more
#2 ·
Along with what might be some aggravation You will need patience. I went through this with my 2011 and after 1 1/2 months they replaced the engine as the fix that the TSB called for did nothing. I wish it would have not went that far but they did the right thing. There are GM Customer Service reps who pop in all the time and will offer assistance but it sounds like your dealer is handling the situation the way it should be handled.

#3 ·
Yep, sounds like a classic story that has been played out countless times on this forum. Please do keep us updated on the progress.
In the mean time, do a search on the forum for "catch can" and "Range AFM Delete". I think you will find those threads relate to your situation as well.
Good luck.

#4 ·
Here is mine New pistons and rings

Once it gets as bad as yours the only thing that will fix the oil consumption issue is new pistons and rings as well as tuning the AFM/DOD to off. Mine has been BlackBear tuned for over two years and NO oil issues at all.

#5 ·
*UPDATE*

Brought the truck into the dealership today for the engine tech to have his look-see at it. The tech agreed it was fouling and that the new oil pan baffle and valve covers would be replaced and covered under warranty. Now.. here's the TWIST. Since I have the BDS suspension lift with new cross members, in order for the techs to remove the oil pan, they informed me that they would have to dismantle the lift and then reassemble when complete. To the tune of 390 BUCKS for 3 hrs labor which the warranty on the truck would not cover!! Has anybody heard of this issue??? I argued with the tech for 30 mins about how and why, but I didn't prevail. The truck will be done tomorrow around noon, and I'll hopefully have a better idea at what they actually did.

#6 ·
Hi FiremanDan ,if you have warranty and your spark plugs are still fouled make them open the engine.Mine had that tsb done but i think the damaged is done.Cylinders 1 and 7 had no more honing lines .Check my profile pics.If you have the same problem ,tell them you want a new engine .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.