jQuery not supported.

HHO Hydrogen

Addition of HHO unit on 2008 5.3L Flex Eng

HHO Hydrogen

Postby GMCmePlease [OP] » Feb 03 2011, 3:17am

Hello,
Been reading this forum for a couple weeks. Just got my truck in October. LOVE IT! The nicest riding and comfortable truck I have ever had. I get pretty good mileage as far as I am concerned, 17 city and 22 hwy if I am VERY careful with the throttle, BUT I was looking to at performance / mileage tips and products when I started reading about HHO, addition of a hydrogen producing unit along with some ECU, O2 and MAF sensor mods to get big gains in mileage.

Some claims seem very out-landish and I am sure many are false. There is enough data around to inspire my very inquisitive mind to wonder if I could make this sort of conversion work on my truck or not.

I have to ask has anyone on this forum done, know someone who has done, or know of a site with info on doing this to my newer model truck? I know there is alot more involved than the simple addition of the unit, and have done some research...........but we can get into that more later on. If I do this I would post info and put together a complete guide on it, if it is successful.

This is my first post, just joined today. Thanks in advance to anyone with info.
Original Poster
GMCmePlease
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L Crew Cab SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  HHO Addition - Performance Boost? 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: HHO Hydrogen

Postby starspangled6.0 » Feb 03 2011, 4:28am

Welcome to the site, Mike! I've never heard of anything like a hydrogen add-on, for either trucks or cars. I know that there are experimental hydrogen vehicles out in California- which begs a question- where would you get a hydrogen refill in Wisconsin? I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it sounds pretty fishy to me.

Unfortunately, trucks really aren't designed with mpg's in mind- they usually weigh around 5-7000 pounds; the engines are usually big-block V8s that are, along with the transmissions and rear-axle gearing, set up for towing and hauling. But keep us posted, if you find any more facts on that hydrogen system.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 302
Blogs: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Feb 03 2011, 4:50am

Yeah. Sounds fishy. BMW has done the most research on hydrogen and they are soon to produce an all hydro powered car. But I've never heard of a gas/hydo hybrid (is that what you're talking about?).

The other big issue is, if you had a hydo burning engine, where will you fuel up?

Welcome aboard BTW.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby koolz71 » Feb 03 2011, 2:33pm

I havent heard of the HHO add on from gm I do know GM offers a propane conversion for the duramax motor. Again welcome to the site, and good luck on the direction that you take with ur truck
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GMCmePlease [OP] » Feb 04 2011, 4:47am

Hello again and thanks for the welcome, and for not laughing at me or calling me an idiot for that first post. I am sure it sounds very very crazy but after some research adding a hydrogen producing unit to any vehicle does sound do-able. The main problem in newer cars and trucks sounds like its fooling the ECU into not making the enging rich due to the extra oxygen the hydrogen procuces in the exhaust.

I figured someone had heard of or done it so I am sorry for not putting up many details or explaining the system better the first post.

What it is - a fairly simple design actually. There are many designs that can be made but the most appropriate for what I was thinking is 316 stainless plates spaced with electrolye added in like a battery, some plates are positive and some negative as a battery is hooked up to it. The reaction uses the water in the solution and converts the water into energy, after the water energy is spent is seems the by product is water is produced back from that energy.

Sounds rather fantastic and impossible but I will put a link here to better show anyone interested. I dont know if this is a direction I want to go or will go, but was VERY interested after reading about it.

I realize a truck is not meant for optimum mileage, I was just wanting to see if the option is there ....why not use it. I bought my truck because we got a "STEAL" on a camper last fall and traded in our old car that needed too much money to be put into it, so now I drive the truck short trips to work and wife drives our 08 Town and Country to work farther distances. So its not like I have the truck and expect it to get better mileage then it should, just trying to make the most of the situation I have with me driving it every day to work.

I am not about to mess up a perfectly good engine or ECU doing so, and this sounds very cutting edge and risky to say the least. Just looking for info to use in making a decision as to try it or not, and I usually just have a very curious mind that loves to know how things work.

http://www.discoverhydrogen.com/
http://www.hhokitsdirect.com/efie.php
http://hhosuperpack.com/
http://www.hydrofuelgenerator.com/faq.php
http://www.hydrogen-generators-usa.com/ ... rsion.html

These are some websites I used to educate myself a very little. Its sounds amazing that this is possible on a small scale and its almost seems like if the big companies did put effort into this is could be a huge savings and I am sure they have the tech and time to do it right!

Anyone who reads that info will probably at least be interested as I am to know if it is "real" as it sure sounds like it. Like I have said before, it may not be the best for newer cars / trucks but I bet there will be people working on making those ECU alterations better as time goes on here.

I have not had time to do anything or look up any new info, but maybe this weekend I will do some more web browsing. I will continue to put up any info, and by all means anyone who has additional or new sites and info please let me know what you find.

I will most likely be doing a few things to my truck over time and post on them. I used to be total gear head when I was younger..........like most sold them all and wish I hadnt. Now I am 41 and this is my first vehicle that I feel is like a toy to me since 2003 when I sold my Road Runner and my 71 Dodge 1ton Power Wagon. Yea,.......I was a Mopar man back then but it was all about down and dirty cheap and rugged.

Talk to you all soon!
Original Poster
GMCmePlease
Topics: 1
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L Crew Cab SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Feb 04 2011, 5:17am

"Creating water energy" as you refer to it is actually a basic chemistry 101 experiment. You induce an electric current to water (H2O) and it breaks down to its basic elements (hydrogen and oxygen).

So this system then captured the produced hydrogen and then injects it into the intake?
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby mevans0486 » Feb 04 2011, 5:42am

I love reading about these kinds of things too, it would be awesome if we could get more mpg's without losing power. The problem I have with these kits and others that I have read about, is that there is no way to get the amount of hydrogen that would be needed. An engine running at 2k rpm would need a substantial amount of hydrogen gas on hand to off set any petrol gas being used. Plus it always seems kind of a moot point, you are already using petrol gas to generate the power which is being used to turn water into hydrogen gas. I think it was Mythbusters that actually showed that a carbonated engine can run on hydrogen, but it was not for very long, and it was being fed with a 100 lb tank of hydrogen.
Mevans0486
mevans0486
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: LS 4.8L V8 Ext.Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Levman74 » Feb 04 2011, 1:06pm

I'll have to agree with mevans, I did experiment with this system on a couple of other vehicles. Cant say I realized any difference, seemed that the water injection I played with made a larger impact. If you do attempt the HHO, you need a very large generating unit, which really isn't practical. You could play with it, and possibly improve your MPGs, but its kind of doubtful.
'06 1500HD 6.0L
K&N Filter
Magnaflow exhaust
Diablo tuner
Amsoil'd everything
Levman74
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby HartskiHartski is online! » Feb 04 2011, 1:16pm

Essentially, the weight of the unit and the power it takes, offsets any possible gains you might get. That's why it's taking the major car companies billions of dollars and many years to come up with a feasable hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.
in omnia paratus
HartskiHartski is online!
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mario s » Sep 28 2013, 3:11pm

I own a 2010 Silverado with a lc9 engine. I also recently purchases a HHO kit that claims to produce between 1,2 l/m to 4.0 l/m.

Seeing that your original poste is in 2011 I was wondering how your effort turned out.
I also love my truck and use it to haul my 28" fifth wheel, and saw this as a neat little project (even if it doesn't turn out with the crazy claims of "up to fifty percent better fuel consumption") I would be satisfied with 5% !!!

Right now I am waiting for my HHO order to come in with the manufacturer's installation and operating instructions.

Please post with your results.
mario s
Year: 2010
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8