jQuery not supported.

High altitude driving

High altitude driving

Postby dasuriano [OP] » Mar 21 2013, 4:08pm

Got a seasonal job in Colorado this summer and will be heading out there in about a month. This would be my third summer out there, but last time I had a car I didn't care about. Now that I have my truck, I want to do this right. Is there anything that would be recommended to prepare the truck for constantly high altitude. Town is at 8000 feet and I'd be up over 12000 feet often driving through the park. Last time, I had a Toyota Highlander and it seemed to do okay, just less power going uphill (it never had enough power to pull itself anyway).
Original Poster
dasuriano
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  5.3L Hard Start at High Altitude when Warm   high load/high rpm no shift.   cold driving   Winter driving   Driving in tow mode   Driving with MAF unplugged   cold driving slow to go   MISSFIRE DRIVING ME NUTS   Engine RPMs surging when driving   Truck stalls while driving, feels like no power   truck shut off driving now wont start   engine died while driving wont restart   Tow Haul mode used during daily highway driving   2002 gmc sierra 6.0 noisy only after freeway driving 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: High altitude driving

Postby Daly » Mar 21 2013, 4:25pm

I'd say get an aftermarket air filter, to allow the most air through the engine, but your trucks computer should correct for the thinner air. You'll lose power, but the computer won't let the truck run rich, unless you tune it that way. But, then again I live at sea level so I've never had to deal with the higher altitude, maybe some of the inhabitants of those areas will chime in shortly.
2012 Silverado 4x4, 4.8, Air Raid Jr, 3.5" RC lift (premium kit), 285 Cooper AT3's, 17x9 XD Addicts w/ -12 offset...
Sig thanks to TotalChaos (jeff)
Daly
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 20
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Cheyenne Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DrkZide » Mar 21 2013, 6:20pm

I live in Denver and frequently head up to the mountain towns around 10-12kft. I have the 5.3 and haven't had an issue at all. Drove up to Copper Mountain without breaking a sweat. Truck is completely stock for now. Intake tube, headers and a muffler are in the works, but that's mostly to offset the weight of the winch and nothing due to the high altitude.
DrkZide
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby steved » Mar 22 2013, 1:38am

Unless your truck has a carburetor, you don't need to do a thing. The computer will adjust the air-fuel mixture accordingly.

The only thing to keep in mind is that they run lower octane fuels due to the high altitude...make sure you run at least the minimum your truck requires (IIRC, 85 octane is considered "regular" unleaded, so you will likely be running a mid-grade).
steved
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 37
Extra Info: 2500HD 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NightRodeo » Mar 22 2013, 2:36am

Your truck will do fine stock. Like the other posters said the computer will adjust itself. I live in Texas and I drove my 2009 Sierra with the 5.3 to Oregon in late 2011. It is completely stock also. It had no problems going up the steep hills and driving it around Oregon.
Pennies make dimes, dimes make dollars, dollars buy gas and longneck bottles
There's a long stretch of black top underneath a cloudless sky, There's my truck washed and gassed up just itchin' for a ride.
NightRodeo
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2012GMCTX » Mar 22 2013, 3:45am

steved wrote:Unless your truck has a carburetor, you don't need to do a thing. The computer will adjust the air-fuel mixture accordingly.

The only thing to keep in mind is that they run lower octane fuels due to the high altitude...make sure you run at least the minimum your truck requires (IIRC, 85 octane is considered "regular" unleaded, so you will likely be running a mid-grade).

Interesting...Ive never heard the lower octane at higher altitudes...I guess thats why the highest Octane I can find around town is 91...Ive read on the forums some are able to get 94, but Ive never seen it..
2012GMCTX
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Extra Info: CrewCab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DrkZide » Mar 22 2013, 3:52am

It's true. It normally goes 85/87/91 here where as when I was in California, it was 87/90/93 if I remember correctly. It's because of the altitude.
DrkZide
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 2003Z71 » Mar 22 2013, 4:04am

Your truck should do fine. The high altitude just kicks performance in the butt. I tow a race car to Bandimere in the summer and my 5.3 does pretty good on the highway unless some slowski pulls in front of me and kills my momentum. I would run 87 octane for sure; during the summer when I tow I use 91 ethanol free gas. Truck really like that! BTW, my race car has an oxygen injection system so it thinks its running at sea level!!
Recon LED cab lights*AirLift Bags & Compressor*Edelbrock IAS Shocks*ReadyLift Leveling Kit*K&N CAI*Smittybilt Bars & Bumper Guard*MagnaFlow Cat Back
2003Z71
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L RegCab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DrkZide » Mar 22 2013, 4:16am

O2 injection? Might as well just run nitrous. A wet system would be safer in my opinion.
DrkZide
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 2003Z71 » Mar 22 2013, 4:26am

O2 injection is much easier on internal engine components and the bottles are only $12 to refill. Much cheaper than NOS. Oxygen system took .9 off the 1/4 mile times.
Recon LED cab lights*AirLift Bags & Compressor*Edelbrock IAS Shocks*ReadyLift Leveling Kit*K&N CAI*Smittybilt Bars & Bumper Guard*MagnaFlow Cat Back
2003Z71
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L RegCab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8