jQuery not supported.

Lean codes on bank 1

Lean codes on bank 1

Postby jdweavey [OP] » Jun 15 2011, 10:21pm

Is my ses light ever going to shut off? Since I bought this truck about 2 months ago I have put about 1500 dollars into it( MAS, intake, intake gaskets, knock sensor, fuel reg., o2 sensors, plugs wires, valley gaskets) now this blepping truck is showing a lean code. What is left that it could be? My mechanic today said there is no leaks when he does a smoke test, truck runs great, ideals great, not rough at all now, but he can't get the lean code off. Any suggestions would be greatly apperiated.
Original Poster
jdweavey
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  switched to e85, now lean bank code   Lean Mix..02 Sensor...98 GMC 454   K&N/DiabloSport inTune - Engine Running Lean   Codes   Ok the codes are in..   HELP! Engine codes!!   help with RPO codes   RPO codes? I need help.    Error Codes....   O2 sensor codes   what are these trouble codes?   Trouble codes   Help with codes P0171 and P0174   GM Diagnostic Trouble Codes Self Help 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Lean codes on bank 1

Postby ccrane » Jan 18 2012, 6:08pm

I had the same lean codes, but both bank 1 and bank 2. I replaced the O2 sensors because that was the cheaper thing to try first, but like you they popped back on. I am in the process of changing out my cats. I found many blogs on the subject and this is the only thing I can think it can be, plus my truck has 220K miles on it with the original cats. There are 2 cats on my 2000 Sierra 5.3L. in your case it sounds like one side. FYI you can buy both cats and the pipes for around $300 on-line, and you can bolt on, no welding required. For some reason 1 cat is about the same price as the whole assembly. I believe you can have this check at the shop before you spend the $. You could first replace the PCV valve for $3, It my be sticking. I know it affects the cats but not sure if it would through a code. Its easy to replace (5 min job) but be careful with the hose. My hose looks like a rubber hose, but there is actually a plastic tube inside. I pulled it out too far and broke the plastic, NAPA give me a piece of hose free to repair it. Wasn't a big deal but just a hassle. I think it is your Cat but that's just my opinion.
ccrane
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L 4wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ccrane » Jan 18 2012, 6:24pm

I forgot to mention, check for exhaust leaks, manifold, O2sensors, etc.
ccrane
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS06MonteSS is online! » Jan 19 2012, 6:20pm

any mods done to the truck??
06MonteSS

06MonteSS06MonteSS is online!
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 23
Year: 2014
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 2014 Camaro SS
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users

Postby Joel_CA » Jan 21 2012, 11:30pm

You need to focus on items specifically related to the left side (cracked left manifold, vacuum leaks on the left side, etc). Airflow sensor, fuel pressure, or things common to both banks will not trigger a single bank code. Smoke is a good way for testing for leaks on a sealed system such as EVAP, but may not be the best way to check for leaks in the intake as the smoke will simply pass through the intake and out of the exhaust. If you have an OBDII scan tool, try pulling up the data list and comparing the 02 sensor readings and the short and long term fuel trim readings from the left vs the right side. If the left side fuel trim is significantly higher than the right- i would suggest you take a closer look for either an exhaust of intake leak.

J
Joel_CA
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ccrane » Jan 22 2012, 5:25am

Just an FYI, I ran a scan on my truck after replacing my cats and the lean codes are gone. I am not saying that this is
your issue, as Lew stated there could be many reasons for your Lean code. But, I thought it was interesting that I
had my intake disconnected to check my MAF sensor .and it gave me a code and scrolled below the code MAF or VAF I
forgot the darn code number. I could run it again if it helps, but I guess my point is that I think it might give you
a different code if it is was your intake, but I am not sure. I will check the codes in the Chiltons manual

Lew,
Do you no if a lean bank code always displays the same code number, if not it might be good to know the code number

JDWeavey,

I have a hand held scanner. I see your in michigan, if its not too far I would be willing to meet you somewhere.
Maybe mine would give you more information.
ccrane
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jdweavey [OP] » Jan 22 2012, 3:37pm

Thanks all for the help. I finally gave up on my local garage I had been going to for years and wen't to my local Chevy dealer. After one vist my truck was fixed. They said whoever did the work before didn't know what they were doing. They said there was a crease in the metal reinforcment on the brand new intake gasket, and the off brand new MAS was not reading right. They put an AC Delco MAS on and re-did the intake gasket and things have been great ever since. When in doubt take your vehicle to the company that made it!
Original Poster
jdweavey
Topics: 4
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS06MonteSS is online! » Jan 22 2012, 3:56pm

just noticed you said you put an aftermarket MAF sensor on there... get rid of it! aftermarket MAF sensors fool the pcm into thinking the engine is running leaner than it really is... bad bad bad... especially if you go to get a tune, because the fueling will be off and not correct due to those false readings...

put the stock MAF sensor back on (and leave the screen in it too!).... no reason to change from the stock MAF sensor... the stocker is good for 550/600+ hp anyway....

so get the stock MAF sensor put back on and you'll be all set... ;)

EDIT: aaah, good.. just noticed your last post, you had the dealer put a stock MAF back on haha... cool....
06MonteSS

06MonteSS06MonteSS is online!
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 23
Year: 2014
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: SS