jQuery not supported.

no oil pressure

Re: no oil pressure

Postby heavychevy1/2 [OP] » Nov 12 2011, 1:04am

thanks for all the replies i bought a engine oil tester from harbor freight tools and it didnt include the right adapter to screwinto the block. so i had to go to fisher auto and get a brass coupler. but the tester is a cheap one and i cant even thread the brass piece into the block because the whole gauge assembly has to be turned in order to thread it in. you would think it would have a quick disconnect fitting like an air hose. the oil pressure sensor is in the way back of the engine and you cant even see the hole unless you have a mirror. but i ended up deciding to put the other motor in because it makes a lot of noise and i know that some type of engine damage has occured and i ended up cutting up every bit of the parts truck and the engine is ready to be put in. thanks again for all your replies and btw the one guy who said that they prolly put heavy oil in to disguise the knock was probably right
Original Poster
heavychevy1/2
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 26
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 z71 4wd 3 d
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25ASTE25 is online! » Nov 12 2011, 1:07am

Well, let us know how it turns out.
Jordan
ASTE25ASTE25 is online!
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby heavychevy1/2 [OP] » Nov 12 2011, 1:54am

will do. when i pull the bad motor ill pull the pan its hard to do in the truck since cross members and other annoyances must be removed but im wondering if the pickup screen is clogged and for theat matter what the hell is in the bottom of an oil pan with 202,000 miles on it. mainly its just my curiosity about why this motor knocks ive never had a vehicle knock because i always do all the preventative maintenance as soon as i get it and i guess ive been lucky. i bought this truck since i heard the 5.3 is bulletproof and now its bad since im swapping in another 5.3 with 150,000 i want to make sure this doesnt happen again. o and btw i almost forgot the bad motor i noticed uses green coolant not the traditional orange dex cool what affect would that have on the engine/cooling system?
Original Poster
heavychevy1/2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25ASTE25 is online! » Nov 12 2011, 2:27am

As long as you don't mix the two it shouldnt matter too much. However, saying that, I stick with what the factory puts in it. If I were you, I'd pull the pan off the replacement engine and make sure it's good and clean. I'd also put a new rear main seal in it while you have it out. You could even go so far as pulling the caps and checking all the bearings as well. It's a lot easier to do a little work now than a lot of work later. Remember, you are putting a used engine in, so you never know how it was maintained.
Jordan
ASTE25ASTE25 is online!
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby heavychevy1/2 [OP] » Nov 12 2011, 3:17am

good call on taking off the pan give it a good wipeout and clean the pickup tube. the cost of a pan gasket is prolly worth the trouble. any other ideas as to how to tell if the engine is getting lubrication in the bad motor truck?
Original Poster
heavychevy1/2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25ASTE25 is online! » Nov 12 2011, 8:41am

Take the pan off the old engine and see what the rod and main bearings look like. if any copper color or scoring is present, it was probably not getting good oil flow. That or the bearings were just plain worn out and had so much clearance that it couldn't maintain proper oil pressure. As long as it didn't spin a bearing you could have the crank surfaced (or just polished if it's not really bad looking) and install a re-ring/gasket kit and a new oil pump and new bearings, having another good engine ready to go for if you ever needed it.
Jordan
ASTE25ASTE25 is online!
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby heavychevy1/2 [OP] » Dec 03 2011, 4:08am

so ge this all now when i start the truck (yes its still running, "like a rock") the oil pressure is pegged to the max that the gauge needle will go so i thought naturally it was the gauge getting stuck so i swapped the other instrument cluster in there and the exact same thing happened now im pissed. so i picked up another gauge cluster at the local pick and pull and have yet to install it i wouldnt think that all these gauges are bad
Original Poster
heavychevy1/2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Dec 03 2011, 4:54am

99% of the time if the gauge is maxed out the problem's the sender.
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 51
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ASTE25ASTE25 is online! » Dec 03 2011, 6:15am

X2 on the sending unit.
Jordan
ASTE25ASTE25 is online!
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby heavychevy1/2 [OP] » Dec 12 2011, 4:46am

ive swapped the sender out . and get this on a totally unrelated (or is it) issue my 2002 ranger now has a low oil light symtom i guess me and oil pressure dont mix
Original Poster
heavychevy1/2
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8