Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Oil Consumption Fix

29K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Maverick0984 
#1 ·
In my previous thread it was determined I burn 1 quart of oil every 2,000 which I guess is considered normal by GM. I was told the next step in getting it fixed would be to replace the pistons but they didn't want to do that because they couldn't say if that would actually fix the issue since it's considered "normal". Has anyone actually fixed this issue and if so what did you do? I would like to fix my truck to where it didn't burn that kind of oil. Will replacing the pistons and then putting the afm shut off device solve the problem? I guess I can live with constantly adding oil but for some reason in the back of my head I feel like this is going to create more issues if I don't do something.

#4 ·
if the truck is under warranty and they are saying they "dont want to" fix the piston/rings march in there and tell them that the piston's and rings are not sealing the chamber causing even more blow-by than what is typical, if they say you're within the 2000 mile limit, this is likely so because you've been babying the truck, go back out for another 3,000 mile OCI and romp on it, revving to the higher end of the range, your border line results will easily burn thru 1qt in less than 2,000 miles, and if they want to hold you to that 2,000 mile mark, then you hold them to it as well. if your truck burns thru 1 qt in 1,975 miles, then thats over the mark and should be assesed as such.

good luck.

#5 ·
Dealer replaced my pistons and rings, my 2009 siera truck used to get 17 miles a gallon highway, but after the fix its a steady 14.1 miles thats towing a camper or empty, both 14.1 - 14 never spending that kinda money on another gmc or chevy. This should have a been a recall. From what the dealer said they had to turn something off in the computer that allows my cylinders to shut down. He said if they turn that back on it will burn oil again.

#8 ·
Cwar said:
Dealer replaced my pistons and rings, my 2009 siera truck used to get 17 miles a gallon highway, but after the fix its a steady 14.1 miles thats towing a camper or empty, both 14.1 - 14 never spending that kinda money on another gmc or chevy. This should have a been a recall. From what the dealer said they had to turn something off in the computer that allows my cylinders to shut down. He said if they turn that back on it will burn oil again.
I am looking at the same fix for my 2008. How much did the dealer charge you? I was quoted $4,332. :shock:

Maddening for something I reported while in warranty, granted a few years ago, but which they never fixed correctly. Just found out last week this was my issue and GM refuses to acknowledge this is a systemic problem with the engine.

#9 ·
If you reported it while under warranty, you might still have a valid claim. You might want to push the issue a bit further. $4332 is the price of a new motor.

#11 ·
bowtie01 said:
If you have oil comsumption there is a test they will do, but you have to go to dealer every 1000 miles or so for so long before they will do anything. but you can contact GM customer care and they may be able to speed the process up. But fix does work
Unfortunately, oil consumption is the least of my worries. This causes erratic idle behavior which sometimes causes the truck to go into a reduced power mode from the misfires that are caused by this.

I'm outside my warranty so I don't have to convince anyone of anything since I'm all on my own :( GM refuses to acknowledge that I've had this issue since I was under warranty and have been dealing with it misdiagnosed for years. Regardless of several pieces of documentation/invoices from dealers in my area stating my complaints about a #7 misfire, rought idle, etc.

Wish I had found this forum a while ago, might have saved me some headaches :( Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

#13 ·
295/60r20 said:
if you have your invoices and complaint history, i might see if you have a friend who's an attorney put a bug in their ear.

usually a letter will get the ball rolling
Unfortunately, I do not have an attorney friend and it's hardly worth involving one at this amount even if it's a lot if I have to pay them and could still lose.

The only way I can hurt them is by not going GM on the next vehicle which is extremely likely at this point. Had a 1994 Silverado that happily ran 200k miles with no engine troubles, selling it for $4k still 14 years later to get the 2008. The blatant lies from their CS department are what is so infuriating really. Clearly was an issue rampant in several models from GM/Chevy, service bulletins issued, etc.

"Nope, our engineers haven't informed us of any issues." :roll: Clearly they use generic language to absolve themselves from the real responsibility since actually fixing their defective design would result in millions of dollars lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.