Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Oil consumption STILL an issue for new 5.3's?

39K views 143 replies 33 participants last post by  vkh 
#1 ·
So I'm going to be picking up my new 2013 Silverado 1500 LT with the 5.3 liter motor tomorrow. Is the oil consumption issue still an issue with these later motors?

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I had seen that post you referred me to but didn't read it because I thought it was mainly for data gathering, but I'll definitely read it over. THe '07 (new body style) that I traded in had the issue and I'm hoping to not repeat it.

#4 ·
from what i have read in other threads it seems the issue is the earlier versions of those engines with AFM. i have a 2012 and have not had any issues to date - maybe some members with 11's that have more miles on them could chime in to confirm my thoughts.

#8 ·
You can disable the feature with aftermarket tuners if you feel strongly about this.

My guess is that the ratings would be affected greatly. I know that the EPA mileage tests are conducted at slower speeds (55?) with no loading, just the territory to see benefit form AFM that we don't typically observe in real world scenarios.

#9 ·
Looks like AFM is on the new trucks as well. I never had a problem with it on my 08, in fact I loved it. I have about a 15 min highway stretch going to work that is 55, my truck would cruise in V4 mode getting 24mpg! I have noticed that my 2013 goes in to v4 mode a lot less.

Also, ALOT of other auto manufacturers have this issue as well, our old 2011 Honda used about 1-1.5 quarts(once it was off the stick!) of oil between oil changes from day one, the dealer said it is normal! :?

#12 ·
This may be oversimplified, but basically:
Carbon builds up on/around the rings. I assume it forms due to the temperature fluctuations in the deactivated cylinders. Carbon causes sticky rings, and eventually issues with the oil being forced past the rings. Then, you start seeing the blue smoke at engine cold start, and the rest is history.
Keep the carbon level down, and temperatures consistent, and there is no issue. Hence, why some guys use a tuner to deactivate AFM.

#14 ·
f0st3r said:
Maybe a dumb question, but does it leave the valves somewhat open to relieve pressure on the deactivated cylinders?
I believe valves open/close normally due to the camshaft.

So, the cylinder cools down when fuel and spark are deactivated, then when fuel and spark are activated, the fuel does not burn correctly? Interesting. Guess I'll keep an eye on it.

#15 ·
From Wikipedia:

In order to deactivate a cylinder, the exhaust valve is prevented from opening after the power stroke and the exhaust gas charge is retained in the cylinder and compressed during the exhaust stroke. Following the exhaust stroke, the intake valve is prevented from opening. The exhaust gas in the cylinder is expanded and compressed over and over again and acts like a gas spring. As multiple cylinders are shut off at a time (cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7 for a V8), the power required for compression of the exhaust gas in one cylinder is countered by the decompression of retained exhaust gas in another. When more power is called for, the exhaust valve is reactivated and the old exhaust gas is expelled during the exhaust stroke. The intake valve is likewise reactivated and normal engine operation is resumed. The net effect of cylinder deactivation is an improvement in fuel economy and likewise a reduction in exhaust emissions. General Motors was the first to modify existing, production engines to enable cylinder deactivation, with the introduction of the Cadillac L62 "V8-6-4" in 1981.
In 2004, the electronics side was improved greatly with the introductions of Electronic Throttle Control, electronically controlled transmissions, and transient engine and transmission controls. In addition, computing power was vastly increased. A solenoid control valve assembly integrated into the engine valley cover contains solenoid valves that provide a pressurized oil signal to specially designed hydraulic roller lifters provided by Eaton Corp. and Delphi. These lifters disable and re-enable exhaust and intake valve operation to deactivate and reactivate engine cylinders [1]. Unlike the first generation system, only half of the cylinders can be deactivated. It is notable that the second generation system uses engine oil to hydraulically modulate engine valve function. As a result, the system is dependent upon the quality of the oil in the engine. As anti-foaming agents in engine oil are depleted, air may become entrained or dissolve in the oil, delaying the timing of hydraulic control signals. Similarly engine oil viscosity and cleanliness is a factor. Use of the incorrect oil type, i.e. SAE 20W40 instead of SAE 20W50, or the failure to change engine oil at factory recommended intervals can also significantly impair system performance.

#17 ·
Oh well, that explains why I taught tactical handgun and not engine mechanics. :D Also, nice to have the dealer a short walk away. :p

#18 ·
gunner1 said:
Thanks for the welcome! I had seen that post you referred me to but didn't read it because I thought it was mainly for data gathering, but I'll definitely read it over. THe '07 (new body style) that I traded in had the issue and I'm hoping to not repeat it.
Well that makes more since, I just bought an 2007 Silverado (New Body) EC 5.3L 88k miles. When I purchased the truck the oil gauge read 99% after only 400-450 miles, I have noticed the oil remaining dropped to 90%. Up unTil now I have only driven nothing bigger than 4 door 6 cyl. Initially I began to think well, bigger motor, 88K miles, heavier vehicle more hp and tq, that makes sense. Now after reading your post it appears this has become a trend in the 07 models and it has me a little worried :eek: .

At what mile intervals did you have change your oil?

#19 ·
Greetings!

I have a 2009 chevy silverado 5.3 crew cab with AFM, and am experiencing significant oil burn.

I had it at the dealer today to fix a solenoid check engine light reading, and asked them if there were any leaks and they said no.

I went probably 6-7k miles using mobil 1 full synthetic, and was down more than 2 full quarts.

This is covered under warranty? I have 65k miles.

Thank you!

#20 ·
Too bad that those who bought these AFM engines prior to all of these discussions had to be the guinea pigs for what would go wrong with them. But at least there are reasonable solutions now being brought out to counter these problems.

I did the Range AFM delete module a day or two after I bought my 2013. I put on a PCV air/oil separator "catch can" at around 1200 miles, and have since put on a better one. Now, to see how this all plays out.

#21 ·
07BOWTIE said:
gunner1 said:
Well that makes more since, I just bought an 2007 Silverado (New Body) EC 5.3L 88k miles. When I purchased the truck the oil gauge read 99% after only 400-450 miles, I have noticed the oil remaining dropped to 90%. Up unTil now I have only driven nothing bigger than 4 door 6 cyl. Initially I began to think well, bigger motor, 88K miles, heavier vehicle more hp and tq, that makes sense. Now after reading your post it appears this has become a trend in the 07 models and it has me a little worried :eek: .

At what mile intervals did you have change your oil?
Bowtie: I think you have the Oil Life indicator confused. It is not an oil level indicator. It is designed to determine the life left in the oil that is currently in the crank case. It does not measure the level of the oil. You will notice that it will continue to drop in percentage as you drive and eventually will be 0%. This doesn't mean you are out of oil, it just means that the oil life indicator has determined that your oil is worn out and needs to be changed. Normally, you would change your oil after it gets below about 10%. That is what the manual suggests. However, many on the list don't trust the Oil Life Indicator and religiously change their oil and specific mileage intervals such as 3,000 or 5,000. The oil life indicator will likely having you changing your oil in the 6,000 to 8,000 mile range.

#22 ·
prdough said:
Greetings!

I have a 2009 chevy silverado 5.3 crew cab with AFM, and am experiencing significant oil burn.

I had it at the dealer today to fix a solenoid check engine light reading, and asked them if there were any leaks and they said no.

I went probably 6-7k miles using mobil 1 full synthetic, and was down more than 2 full quarts.

This is covered under warranty? I have 65k miles.

Thank you!
Hello prdough,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I would be happy to look to see if you are still within your warranty parameters. Please private message me you VIN and I could look that up for you.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

#23 ·
Copperhead said:
Too bad that those who bought these AFM engines prior to all of these discussions had to be the guinea pigs for what would go wrong with them. But at least there are reasonable solutions now being brought out to counter these problems.

I did the Range AFM delete module a day or two after I bought my 2013. I put on a PCV air/oil separator "catch can" at around 1200 miles, and have since put on a better one. Now, to see how this all plays out.
What catch can do you have on there now? Looking into this mod...

#25 ·
Purchased a 2013 Silverado LTZ in June. After reading comments on here regarding oil consumption, I contacted the service manager and was told that it was normal for the 5.3 to consume a quart of oil every 1K to 2K miles. I've bought a lot of vehicles from this dealer and know the service manager's family, so I'm confident that he is shooting straight with me.
After getting that info from him, I purhcased the Range AFM delete. Hopefully that will prevent the problem.

#26 ·
With the cylinder deactivation off and my catch can on now I have virtually stopped the oil consumption on my truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.