jQuery not supported.

Oil Filter Location on the 5.3 Engine

Oil Filter Location on the 5.3 Engine

Postby JUSTINKP [OP] » Oct 13 2011, 12:30am

Hey again,

I did a search and didn't find any results for this, so I figured I'd throw it out there. Where is the oil filter for our engine (the 5.3) located and can it be accessed from under the truck as it sits, or are ramps or a jack neccessary? I've done my own oil changes on several vehicles before, but looking around the other day, I did not see the oil filter on my new truck and wondered where it might be.

I also see with the 2011's that the Dexos (or whatever that's called) synthetic must be run in the engine and it appears that Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the only oils so far to carry the seal. Mobil 1 is definetely less expensive, but I might consider giving Amsoil a shot.

Thanks guys and girls.
Original Poster
JUSTINKP
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT 4x4 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Oil Filter Location on the 5.3L

Postby rdss » Oct 13 2011, 12:34am

Rear, bottom, drivers side of the engine. It points directly up as well I believe. I put Mobile 1 in on my first oil change with a K&N oil filter. I did not need to jack my truck up to access it on a creeper.

I would think that the owner's manual would also have this info as well and there is an electronic copy (pdf) located on the home page of the site.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: Oil Filter Location on the 5.3L

Postby EKinMN » Oct 13 2011, 1:33am

Correct. It is "upside down", meaning that it screws up into the engine area. It's on the driver's side of the oil pan. I have found that the easiest way to get it out is to put a couple holes in it with a screwdriver to drain it, then remove with a filter wrench.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8