jQuery not supported.

Oil leak on a 5.3 liter

A Real Stand Up Dealership

Oil leak on a 5.3 liter

Postby 2003Z71 [OP] » Jul 21 2012, 5:55pm

Well I just got my Silverado back from the dealership after them having the truck for 12 days. I’ll try to keep this shorter than War & Peace. Original problem was an oil leak off the back of the engine/transmission bellhousing area. It had gotten so severe that it was leaking a few large puddles (orange size) overnight. I was going to fix it myself, but time wasn’t something I had an abundance of, and I wasn’t sure of where the oil was coming from. Suspected the rear main seal, but had a problem with that because it wasn’t wet up inside the large chrome inspection cover on the bellhousing. So up to the dealer we go, and after 3 days they call me and say it’s your oil pan and valley pan under the intake manifold. Well I was going to decline the repair on the valley pan and do that myself, but I thought it’s up there, apart, so just fix it all. I don’t want any more leaks! Two days later had my brother take me up to get the truck, (dealer is 54 miles one way.) Looked underneath looked clean and dry, then I drove it back home. Less than 45 minutes of sitting in my driveway and I had another puddle! AAURRGGH! It’s leaking worse!! Now I’m thinking THIS IS WHY I DO ALL OF MY OWN WORK! Called the dealer next morning and asked to talk to the owner. Told him the situation and he set up a meeting for the following morning. He thanked me for the phone call and handling it the way I did and not by kicking in his front door and fire-bombing his lobby. Met with the owner and service manager and they gave me 3 options. They would refund the entire $950 and I could take it somewhere else, he would refund half and I could fix it myself in a bay at his dealership. (That one blew me away!) or let them pull it onto a rack and take a look again. I decided since the owner is now involved I’d let them look again. Turns out the first tech screwed up the installation of the oil pan gasket, and he replaced the entire valley pan because he was told the gasket wasn’t available separately. They kept the truck for another 6 days, AND I had to drive a Subaru loaner! In the end I got $230 bucks back for the valley pan and $150 bucks for my time and trouble. I’ve posted before and sfter photos and as you can see by the after photos the underside of the engine/truck is as clean as new. I have driven it for three days now; I’m still keeping an eye on it.
Thought I'd post this, maybe it will help some of the other guys with where oil leaks are on thier 5.3's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Recon LED cab lights*AirLift Bags & Compressor*Edelbrock IAS Shocks*ReadyLift Leveling Kit*K&N CAI*Smittybilt Bars & Bumper Guard*MagnaFlow Cat Back
Original Poster
2003Z71
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L RegCab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Oil leak on a 5.3 liter

Postby 11 Silverado » Jul 21 2012, 6:27pm

It is really great to hear when a dealer takes responsibility for their mistakes and the fixes it correctly. We hear so often about when a dealer screws up, but not when they do something good. Happy that it all worked out for you.
Flowmaster Force II Duals, Airaid Jr., Tonno Pro Bed Cover, Luvern Mega Steps, Husky Mud Guards, Rear Fender Liners
11 Silverado
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2003Z71 [OP] » Jul 21 2012, 7:30pm

Yea, part of reason for my post was to give credit to the dealership, which I see I left the name out after I revised my post. It's Davidson-Gebhardt Chevrolet in Loveland. I highly recommend them to anyone in the Denver metro area. They really stepped up and took care of everything under warranty.
Recon LED cab lights*AirLift Bags & Compressor*Edelbrock IAS Shocks*ReadyLift Leveling Kit*K&N CAI*Smittybilt Bars & Bumper Guard*MagnaFlow Cat Back
Original Poster
2003Z71
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BlackZ71Silverado » Jul 21 2012, 8:38pm

That's exactly why I hate going to the dealer or letting anyone else work on my vehicles. I had my rear pinion seal replaced under warranty, it leaked the same day. Took it back and they replaced it again, leaked in a week. Had the dealer order me a seal and I replaced it at home, been leak free for 2 years now. Not sure what they did but I don't think they know how to install a seal without damagine it. The one I took out was pinched.

Glad you got that oil issue taken care of. Keep an eye on it though, hopefully they did it right this time.
2010 Silverado 5.3 w/Z71 appearance pkg.
CAI tube
MBRP Exhaust
DiabloSport inTune
2" level/3" rear blocks

2008 Silverado 6.0 V-Max
GMPP CAI
GMPP Performance exhaust
DiabloSport Predator
2" level/3" rear blocks
BlackZ71Silverado
Topics: 2
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Deep Ruby Metallic
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lilmagoo1 » Jul 19 2013, 2:31pm

i still have an oil leak on mine took it to the dealer quite a few times now...but i have a question what is the valley pan? i have worked on alot of vehicles but have never heard of this lol.
: 07.5 Silverado : 3"lift & 1.25" body lift : 295/70R18 Trail Grapplers :
: 18" MBmotoring V-drive rims W/ 00 offset :
lilmagoo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 71
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3 L 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Jul 19 2013, 11:06pm

Hello 2003Z71,

I apologize for the experience you had with the dealership addressing the oil leak that was in your vehicle. I am happy to hear that in the end they were able to step up, address the issue, and make sure you were satisfied. Thank you for posting your experience and I hope your information helps someone who is exhibiting the same issue as you.

Hello lilmagoo1,

I am sorry to hear that you have a reoccurring oil leak concern with your Silverado. If you would like me to contact the dealer to speak with them regarding this concern, please private message me. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2003Z71 [OP] » Jul 20 2013, 2:34pm

lilmagoo1 wrote:i still have an oil leak on mine took it to the dealer quite a few times now...but i have a question what is the valley pan? i have worked on alot of vehicles but have never heard of this lol.

Well maybe I'm old school or maybe I've built too many Oldsmobile V-8's, :D but the valley pan is also the pushrod cover. On the 5.3's, it's the cover with the knock sensors in it.
Original Poster
2003Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kmgrandell » Oct 28 2013, 4:33pm

I just recently noticed an oil leak on my 2013 1500. After looking at it, I figured it was the oil filter, which I found to be less than hand tight (after 5,000 miles with this filter). I brought it in to the dealer and they told me they had gotten a bad batch of filters, and have had them fall off trucks more than once.

Hopefully this helps someone, just reinforces to check simple things first. I will post again if it does not fix the problem.
kmgrandell
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silvery13 » Oct 29 2013, 2:50am

11 Silverado wrote:It is really great to hear when a dealer takes responsibility for their mistakes and the fixes it correctly. We hear so often about when a dealer screws up, but not when they do something good. Happy that it all worked out for you.

Agreed!
Not a member of the "good old boy" clan, not a self proclaimed "this or that", not a legend in my own mind.
Conceptual Polymer High Efficiency Catch Can, Hankook DynaPro ATM RF-10 255-70/18
Silvery13
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 EcoTec 5.3
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen