jQuery not supported.

Oil Weight Recommendation

'04 1500

Postby CHUNTLEY [OP] » Sep 14 2011, 9:54pm

I've always run 10w-40. No real reason other than the old "that's the way my grandaddy did it, that's the way my daddy did it, so that's the way I'm gonna do it". I always have run Castrol High Mileage (135,000mi on truck)and have had no complaints. However, I'm not above taking good advice. I have been reading up on oil such as AMSOIL and Mobil-1 and am just curious. I'm no Exxon scientist or anything but do have an engineering degree from Clemson, so if I could get someone to tell me what the best oil weight and type (synthetic, conventional, blend, etc.) and WHY, I may be switching on my next oil change. Thanks!
Original Poster
CHUNTLEY
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 - Z-71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Drs1321 » Sep 14 2011, 10:34pm

I use castrol 10w-40....because that's the way my daddy did it :-D
Drs1321
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Oil Weight Recommendation

Postby glens08 » Sep 14 2011, 10:56pm

You say you have an engineering degree. What field? First, there is nothing inherently "wrong" with petroleum (dino) based oil products. Just as there is nothing inherently wrong with drum brakes, tube-type tires, split rims, carburetors, slide rules, etc. But technology marches on. Synthetic oil (you may read to your hearts content at "bobistheoilguy.com") is to oil what computers are to slide rules - a better way to achieve the end result. What is the end result? A longer lasting, more fuel efficient, cleaner burning engine. Best wishes. Glen
glens08
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CHUNTLEY [OP] » Sep 14 2011, 11:09pm

Glenn,
Thanks for the info. I love the reference to slide rules! My field was agriculture (insert dirt-road leading to Clemson joke here) but it was really the best school for my interests.

I have always known (or strongly believed) that the whole "3 months or 3,000 miles" thing was pushed more by manufacturer's CYA and oil companies than what was really best for your engine. What I can't wrap my mind around is the AMSOIL guarantee of a full year on the same oil pan full of oil. Is synthetic really that good at keeping together and maintaining its performance? Everything I've seen by them, I've been impressed with and can see spending the extra $$$ for the "good stuff" but I hate to spend more just to say I spent more. Also, will my "Oil Life Remaining" readout agree with AMSOIL's guarantee? I think I'm sold on synthetic vs. conventional...now it's just a matter of what brand and more importantly, what weight?
Original Poster
CHUNTLEY
Topics: 6
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 - Z-71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Sep 14 2011, 11:20pm

Motor oils that have a wider range viscosity rating such a, 5W-40, 10W-40, 15W-40 and 0W-40 are blended with more additives called viscosity improvers. Because of this, it may be harder for a wider range oil to remain in grade as the miles accumulate which is why GM does NOT recommend using 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-50 motor oil in gasoline engine. They say it breaks down too quickly and does not say in grade as long as 10W-30 or 5W-30 because of the amount of viscosity improvers needed to meet the 40 rating at 100 degC, more than a 30 wt oil would.

If an engine originally factory-filled with 5W-30 now has 100,000 miles on it, switching to a 10W-30 oil may provide better lubrication and protection. The thicker oil will maintain the strength of the oil film in the bearings better so the engine will have more oil pressure. This will also reduce engine noise and reduced bearing fatigue (which can lead to bearing failure in high mileage engines).
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 127
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby glens08 » Sep 17 2011, 1:19pm

In my experience, your oil life read out will NOT agree with any of the claims of the synthetic oils. The oil life read out, as I understand it, is claibrated for petroleum oil. The computer monitors heat, cold, start-ups, heavy loads, etc. and based on how much time it would take with all these variable to break down a petroleum product, will give you a reading of the expected oil life remaining. Since synthetics go way beyond petroleum oils in their ability to withstand temperature extremes, sheer, and stabilityin grade, etc., the oil life monitores no longer reflect the true condition of your oil. Personally I run 10,000 miles between changes and am thinking of increasing that to 15,000 miles. There really are some very knowledgable folks over at "bobistheoilguy.com." It's worth a visit to the site to see what others are saying.
Glen
glens08
Topics: 11
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8