jQuery not supported.

starting problems

Warm start up issues in 2000 5.3 L V8

starting problems

Postby whiteragtop93 [OP] » Nov 10 2010, 4:07am

I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3l V8. It starts good on a cold start up. Once it warms up sometimes it will start up. But most of the time it takes a few tries to start it and I have to tap the accelerator to get it to start. I’ve changed spark plugs and fuel filter. Any ideas?
Last edited by jepics on Nov 10 2010, 4:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed ALL CAPS to mixed case; added description
Original Poster
whiteragtop93
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L v8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Starting problems. (not starter... i think)   starting   Not starting   I have a starting problem too   Help with starting issue   Cold starting   Starting issues   Starting when very clod out   Starting and idle issues   Hard Starting Issue   Hard Starting only when COLD...?   2002 silverado not starting Help!!!!   Starting problem 91 c1500   Not starting! Will turn over and hit. 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: starting problems

Postby jepics » Nov 10 2010, 4:57am

I'd start by checking the MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor. It could be clogged or dirty, and sending the wrong message to the computer, which then isn't providing the right fuel mixture to your engine.

The Mass Air Flow sensor is used to measure the amount of air entering the engine. This measurement is used by the engine computer or ECM to calculate proper amount of fuel injected into the cylinders in order to provide optimum combustion and low emissions.
Problems with Mass Air Flow sensors are common. Bad or contaminated Mass Air Flow sensor can possibly cause a wide range of various vehicle driveability problems such as stalling, especially when the engine is cold, misfiring, poor acceleration, etc.
In addition, a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor often causes the "check engine" or "service engine soon" light in the vehicle instrument panel to illuminate.
The "check engine" or "service engine soon" light comes on when the engine computer detects some fault in one of the components of the emission control system.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Nov 10 2010, 5:31am

Most people neglect their MAF. Once you see how easy it is to clean, you'll do it every few thousand miles. I do every other oil change, which is about 1x per year.
If that does not work, clean your throttle body. Not just spraying the cleaner in there, but actually taking it off and doing a good cleaning.

BTW, when/if you do these things, disconnect the battery when you do it. You will want the computer (PCM/ECM?) to reset. If you clean it all up, and the vehicle thinks everything is dirty, it won't run any better....
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby whiteragtop93 [OP] » Nov 12 2010, 4:39am

The check engine light is on. It reads multiple cylinder misfire and the code is P0300. I think the starting problem and the misfire maybe related but not sure.
Original Poster
whiteragtop93
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Nov 12 2010, 4:56am

Since P0300 indicates Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected, you should probably attack that first, and the hard starting should go away.

Others have replaced the mass air flow sensor (MAF) , spark plugs and wires, then the coils to try to resolve the issue.

Reset the computer by removing the battery cable for a minute or so. Sometimes a dirty or bad MAF will cause the computer to compensate, so it is good to have a "fresh start".
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Nov 12 2010, 5:06am

The random misfire is a hard one to track down. Could very well be electrical, but you may also need to rule out a fuel injector issue. Changed the fuel filter lately? Cleaned the Throttle Body?
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Nov 12 2010, 1:08pm

Here is a link with some helpful info http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 124
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby enginebuilder4life » Nov 13 2010, 4:10pm

Easy cold starting with hard hot starting suggests an issue with the coolant temp sensor, but there should be a code for that.
If it were hard hot cranking, then the starter would be getting heat-soaked.
enginebuilder4life
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Year: 2006
Extra Info: modified WT1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby whiteragtop93 [OP] » Dec 01 2010, 1:54am

How much fuel pressure should be at the fuel rails. Im getting about 50 pounds. When you put a fuel pressure gauge on it and you turn the ignition to on and prime the fuel injectors and turn it back off. Should the pressure stay on 50 pounds for a while or should it drop rapidly?
Original Poster
whiteragtop93
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby z85 » Dec 09 2010, 2:28am

Hi,

I would warm up the engine so that the problem is occuring and can be duplicated. Then I would start by unhooking the air filter lid and trying it, then I would unplug the MAF sensor (this would put in a default mode) and then I would unplug the vaccum hose to the fuel pressure regulator and check for the signs of fuel in it (there should not be any) and finally you could try cleaning the throttle body if you have not done this already. The solution is to be able to duplicate the problem and when you change something if it goes away you have solved/found the cause.
z85
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8