jQuery not supported.

Synthetic blend vs full synthetic

Re: Synthetic blend vs full synthetic

Postby NIBS » Aug 11 2011, 1:04pm

Have run full synthetic since 10K in my aluminum block 5.3l. No block heater available for this motor (apparently) so I was really happy I had this oil in the engine when I ran into a few nights of −39˚c last winter while on a trip north. The kind of mornings that you’d never dare pee outside (lol) or not move too quickly at first for fear of something on the truck just shattering. Regardless, my rig started up with no problems but I will be putting in an extra battery.
NIBS
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Synthetic Blend   Okay to switch to full synthetic at 140K?   Oil/Valvoline Full Synthetic   Quaker State Full Synthetic (Dexos 1)   mixing conventional and synthetic?   Oil Change to Synthetic   Switching to Synthetic oil?   Synthetic Oil Myths Debunked.   Mobil 1 advanced synthetic motor oil   Fans running full blast, no A/C   smoke at full throttle and looking for a lil extra power 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby forace2011 » Aug 11 2011, 2:18pm

Would switching over my 2004 Chevy Silverado W/T with a 4.3 to full synthetic at 148,000 miles be ok?? Just bought truck and I run full synthetics in rest of my vehicles. Right now it does not use any oil but i have heard that switching at this age and mileage will make it leak or use/loose some. What you guys think???
forace2011
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Aug 11 2011, 3:09pm

Synthetic oils do not cause engines to leak oil. Bad seals cause engines to leak oil.

Switching from petroleum oil to synthetic oil in routinely maintained vehicles should not be a problem. However, in older vehicles or those with high mileage, it may be advisable to use AMSOIL Engine Flush first.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 125
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen
Previous

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8