jQuery not supported.

Synthetic blend vs full synthetic

Synthetic blend vs full synthetic

Postby hdawgfate06 [OP] » Jun 15 2011, 3:43pm

Give me some opinions, I'm getting oil changed at dealer cause I have a free oil change and what to see what pple think about the two oo
Options I got.
2010 Silverado 1500 z71
Original Poster
hdawgfate06
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Synthetic blend vs full synthetic

Postby Austin » Jun 15 2011, 4:26pm

Browse a few of these topics and see if there is any information in them:

synthetic oil
Switching to synthetic
Switch to synthetic motor oil?
chevy astro vans, gas scooters, chevy truck forums | contact me
<?=while ( try() != $success ){ again(); echo "learn and earn"; }?>
Austin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 SLE
Group Membership:
Supporters
Administrators
Registered users

Postby makawaomark » Jul 16 2011, 12:10am

Switched to mobile 1 5-30 the day I brought mine home from dealer (new). 70k still same, doesn't use a drop.
makawaomark
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: EC LB 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby h2ocoach » Jul 18 2011, 9:57am

In my opinion full synthetic is the right choice because:
1. better protection
2. Reduces interrnal engine friction resulting in smoother operation and better performance
3. Better lubrication upon start up
4. If you are in a location where you have cold winters full synthetic does not stiffen up over night and is pumped better at start up providing the lubrication the engine needs.
5. Increased interval between oil changes. I run approx 10K between changes depending upon driving demands. I monitor the oil color and level at just about every fill up.

Even though full synthetic costs 2-3X more then conventional oil I think it is the way to go.
h2ocoach
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 1500 LS Ext. Cab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby glens08 » Jul 26 2011, 11:30pm

Spend a couple of dollars more. Get full Syn. I'd recommend a PAO based oil such as Royal Purple or Amsoil. Lots of reasons for this, but that's for a different thread. I also prefer the new 0w-30 weights for the economy and engine protection they provide. But that's just me...
Best wishes.
Glen
glens08
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jul 27 2011, 12:19am

With synthetic blends there is no telling how much is synthetic and how much is regular oil. It could be as little as 25% synthetic or maybe a lot less. There are no specifications that state how much it should be.

Benefits of Synthetic Oils, 0W-30 or 5W-30
• Improved low temperature characteristics for faster starting and quicker flow to critical parts

• Improved stability through a wide range of temperatures

• Improved fuel economy due to reduced internal engine friction and windage (the drag produced by parts moving through the oil bath)

• Emerging and future vehicle emissions regulatory requirements partly depend on the advantages of these high technology lubricants to achieve certification standards.

• Reduced engine deposits

• Longer oil drain intervals
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 130
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby oldsaltydog » Jul 28 2011, 1:36am

bin runnin full synthetic since 7500 miles in my engine in the process of c/o tranny and rear end to synthetic. Oil looks just like it did when i put it in when i change it.
2010 Silverado LT Z-71 Diablew Tuned
Victory Red 2500 HD Hood/Grille Swap
18x10 Diamo's Cooper StMaxx 35 inch tires
RCX 4 inch lift zone 3 inch body lift

1996 1500 w/t
oldsaltydog
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 65
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jul 29 2011, 5:12am

In a 2010, the differentials already have synthetic. But since it's getting broken in, it's a great time to get the metal particles out, and a premium lube in.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby srr2 » Aug 05 2011, 6:29pm

If this is a new Silverado ('10 or '11) then a free oil change at the dealer is a no-brainer. They are *required* to use Dexos1-labeled oil. Dexos1 is specified as a full PAO synthetic 5W-30, and will likely be Mobil1. They are, I believe, the factory fill and are Dexos1 licensed. You can go to Wallyworld and pull a jug of Mobil1 5W-30 off the shelf and find the Dexos1 logo on it. Far as I know, they're the only licensed oil so far. Getting 6 quarts of this and a filter for the inconvenience of sitting in a dealer waiting room for an hour sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me.
srr2
Topics: 9
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 Z71-4x4 5.3LAFM
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Aug 05 2011, 7:07pm

Dexos1 is specified as a full PAO synthetic 5W-30,

That's incorrect, AC Delco dexos1 oil is ONLY a synthetic blend and all the full synthetics on the market are not PAO synthetic. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is but regular Mobil 1 is not 100%.

AMSOIL is the only one that I know of using PAO exclusively. All the full synthetics on the market are really Group III petroleum based synthetics. PAO is a Gr IV base stock, the most expensive and in short supply globally.

The new dexos1™ synthetic blend engine oil is required for use in all GM gasoline engines beginning with the 2011 model year. dexos1 is also compatible with all 2010 model year and older gasoline engines in GM vehicles.

ACDelco Synthetic Blend dexos1™ engine oil is available to dealerships through the GM Oil Program. ACDelco Synthetic Blend dexos1 engine oil is currently available to U.S. dealerships in 55-gallon drums. In addition, quart size packaged product will be available in December 2010. In Canada, 205-liter drums will be available by November and a 1 liter package size will be available in December 2010.

dexos1 products will be offered under the ACDelco Brand only. Packaged oil under the Goodwrench brand will be phased out and converted to the ACDelco brand over the coming months.

ExxonMobil will make a synthetic-blend motor oil marketed under the ACDelco brand that will meet GM's new dexos specifications. This immediately puts GM's own ACDelco oil ahead of most other brands on a cost basis, as most motor oil marketers have used a full synthetic formulation to meet the dexos specifications. Having said that, it's little wonder that the majority of motor oil marketers are refusing to license their products with GM!

PS - There are no specification that state how much synthetic can be in an oil and have it called a synthetic blend, it could be as little as 1% and still be called a "synthetic blend".
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 130
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8