jQuery not supported.

Ticking noise from back of engine

Postby srbecker [OP] » Sep 20 2011, 2:07pm

I bought my 06 Silverado with 26k miles on it just over two weeks ago used from a dealer. I didn't hear anything abnormal during test driving it and had a mechanic look at it. So going into the purchase, everything was perfect. Lately I have been noticing a faint puttering upon acceleration, almost like an exhaust leak, which could very well be the normal sound of the exhaust since I am used to my Monte Carlo and not a truck. But in addition to that, when I popped the hood, there is also a faint ticking coming from the back end of the motor. I cannot here this inside the cab and it occured after a short 1 mile drive. I have read that GM says this is normal but I want opinions. Are/could these two be related (exhaust and ticking) or am I just paranoid about my new truck and have nothing to worry about. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone has to offer.
Original Poster
srbecker
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Ticking noise from back of engine

Postby lzn197 » Sep 20 2011, 3:08pm

The sound while driving is probably the engine going into the 4 cylinder mode. Nothing to worry about. Doesn't your display tell you when that kicks in? As far as idle noise, I am sure it is fine. Nothing to worry about.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby srbecker [OP] » Sep 20 2011, 4:03pm

I could be mistaken, but im 99.9 percent positive that i don't have that economy mode.
Original Poster
srbecker
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Nathan. » May 03 2012, 2:50pm

srbecker wrote:I could be mistaken, but im 99.9 percent positive that i don't have that economy mode.

Yeah I am pretty sure that didn't come out until 2007. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. My truck has this same noise and I think/hope it is just an exhaust leak. I popped the hood and listened to the engine at idle and I don't hear any ticking noise at all. I would have to say that my issue is exhaust. There should be a gasket between your Y pipe and the rest of the exhaust system.
Nathan.
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: Crew Cab LT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby srbecker [OP] » Jul 20 2012, 1:19pm

Nathan. wrote:
srbecker wrote:I could be mistaken, but im 99.9 percent positive that i don't have that economy mode.

Yeah I am pretty sure that didn't come out until 2007. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. My truck has this same noise and I think/hope it is just an exhaust leak. I popped the hood and listened to the engine at idle and I don't hear any ticking noise at all. I would have to say that my issue is exhaust. There should be a gasket between your Y pipe and the rest of the exhaust system.

I apologize for not being on or checking back in such a long time, but here I am, still have that ticking noise. Nathan, did you ever get to the bottom of yours? Does your noise seem to match this description?

Ticking loudest at 2k rpm. Coming from lower back of motor near exhaust/transmission area. Can hear it the best when underneath the truck or at drivers side wheel well. This is my first truck, but I feel as if I should have some more low end power/ torque than I have currently. MPG sucks at 14-15 and thats 85% highway mileage.

I did bring the truck to a dealer and a repair shop, both of which seemed to acknowledge the noise but neither found the culprit nor a solution. The one shop is my dad's so he wouldnt bull shit me, but at the same time, he doesnt have the time to dismantle my whole motor to find a problem they dont know where its coming from. I did some further reading and I came across 3 possible causes, please comment as to if any of them are valid or not:

1. Lifter stick (could be, but doubtfull according to my mechanic)
2. Exhaust leak
3. Transmission is on its last limb

I would like to ge to the bottom of this as I have put up with the noise too long!
Original Poster
srbecker
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Machster69 » Jul 20 2012, 2:12pm

Injectors can be noisy! lifter? Very possible, but I wouldnt suspect them yet. Exhaust leak, very possible also. My 2010 has the same exact tick and the same exact spot... it is very typical of these 5.3s and I would not stress over it!
Machster69
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 105
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby srbecker [OP] » Jul 20 2012, 2:20pm

Machster69 wrote:Injectors can be noisy! lifter? Very possible, but I wouldnt suspect them yet. Exhaust leak, very possible also. My 2010 has the same exact tick and the same exact spot... it is very typical of these 5.3s and I would not stress over it!

Well thats reassuring atleast! lol Good to know. That was the explanation given to be by the dealer "the aluminum blocks are very noisy on these trucks" but I also know dealers sometimes will say things just to satisfy the customer. I know you have the eco mode (4 cyclinder), but is between 14-15.5 mpg abnormal for mostly highway driving and some city? Just trying to compare, but like I said, this is my first truck so I dont know what I should be expecting, but compared to by buddies F-150 at 19mpg, and my dads Silverado, same engine at about 16-17 mpg, I seem to be getting robbed, but then again I do live in the city, but my work commute is all highway...
Original Poster
srbecker
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Machster69 » Jul 20 2012, 2:46pm

My truck is kinda exceptional for mpgs than most, it avgs 18 in the city... never took it on a trip. I have another truck for trips, it is the same motor (well its a ly5 and mines lmg) but they both have afm. My other truck averages 15 in the city. There are lots of factors to take it tho! My truck is 6 speed, 3.08 gears, 5.3 lmg, and driven by me and gets 18. My other truck is 4 speed, 3.43 gears, 5.3 ly5, and driven by my wife, and gets 15. I dont think I have ever heard of an f150 getting 19 lol... honestly. But some of these trucks just dont get the mileage others get. Those factors listed are things people dont take into account tho. Gm is by far the best on mpgs. In the end, you bought a truck... not a prius!
Machster69
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby srbecker [OP] » Jul 20 2012, 3:09pm

Machster69 wrote:My truck is kinda exceptional for mpgs than most, it avgs 18 in the city... never took it on a trip. I have another truck for trips, it is the same motor (well its a ly5 and mines lmg) but they both have afm. My other truck averages 15 in the city. There are lots of factors to take it tho! My truck is 6 speed, 3.08 gears, 5.3 lmg, and driven by me and gets 18. My other truck is 4 speed, 3.43 gears, 5.3 ly5, and driven by my wife, and gets 15. I dont think I have ever heard of an f150 getting 19 lol... honestly. But some of these trucks just dont get the mileage others get. Those factors listed are things people dont take into account tho. Gm is by far the best on mpgs. In the end, you bought a truck... not a prius!

Very true and I love my truck. I would buy it again too! I was more so concerned about the ticking. Just thought the MPG might have been a symptom of the ticking thats all. You definately made me feel better though. Im not as concerned anymore. Thank you very much for your input!
Original Poster
srbecker
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Machster69 » Jul 20 2012, 3:15pm

No problem, check your inbox, im about to send you something...
Machster69
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users