Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Weekend Maintenance Findings...

836 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  PaleRider 
#1 ·
Expanding from my original post: Cold Start Issues

So this weekend I pulled the entire air intake off, cleaned and inspected it. I pulled the TB off and cleaned it...very dirty. I also changed the plugs and wires...they looked a little fouled.

After pulling everything, cleaning, inspecting all lines for cracks and leaks, I'll be ordering a PCV Catch Can setup for my truck. I found some of the oily yellow stuff in the line from my air intake tube to the left (pass side) of the engine. I also found the oily yellow stuff inside the intake tube (see pic).

This morning was a cold morning, in the 20s, and it started right over without any issue or rough idle or rich smelling exhaust. So lets hope this fixed it.

So now the big question.....Which PCV Catch Can do I go with? I've read just about all the posts and still can't narrow down which one everyone is using.

Thanks
Bob

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Blymanb said:
.....found some of the oily yellow stuff in the line from my air intake tube to the left (pass side) of the engine. I also found the oily yellow stuff inside the intake tube (see pic)....
This is common with any engine with PVC in cold climates. It is just the condensation water mixed with some oil. It mostly goes away from using the vehicle and getting it warm for an hour or so. It does no harm, IMO.

#6 ·
The older motors can handle a little more oil ingestion than the new ecotec motors. Reason being, the ecotec motors are direct injected, so they don't have fuel going past the intake valves to help keep them clean like the older motors did.

So these direct injected motors suffer from what I'd called valve coking. This is when the oil builds up on the valves. This is obviously not good.

But there is no harm and only benifits to running a quality catch can on any motor. Which is why I will be getting the RX system with the clean side filter for my new 2017.

#8 ·
I am a fan of the Conceptual Polymer HE model. Very nice kit and I liked it quite a bit. The RX is now like "tracy lewis catch can" or something. I ran the original Rx and the XP at the same time and preferred the CP overall. They were both very effective.
In all honesty, they all do a pretty good job betwwen CP, Mishimoto, elite and rx. The CP was a great price and he has a lot of posted research,

#9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to get on this soon with what I saw this weekend.

Bob

#10 ·
You could make your own, but I suppose I'm the only one that does that Cheap-@ss stuff any more.
Installation's simple on a 2013. Just cut the thermoplastic PCV line in the middle. Part running back to the driver's side valve cover needs to be connected to the "inlet" side of your chosen catch can. The chosen catch can outlet is connected to the remaining end of the thermoplastic line that runs up to the intake plenum. Clamps need to be applied to all hose connections to prevent leaks. Here's a shot of my connections:

#11 ·
You can definitely do that. But odds are you cant rig up something as effective for any less moolah. Any mitigation is better than none though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.