jQuery not supported.

Dyno test of a CAI

Will the debate ever end? No.

Dyno test of a CAI

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Mar 15 2011, 9:40pm

I stumbled upon this video :

Nothing wrong with more debate about our favorite topic, is there?
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 304
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Dyno test of a CAI

Postby lzn197 » Mar 16 2011, 1:56pm

They never show the complete test. I bet they did the stock dyno run on a hot engine, then let the vehicle sit in an air conditioned garage overnight, installed the kit, a quick little warm up with the hood open and then WHAM! I challenge that company to do that test with two dyno runs and controlled conditions. They also never show the scale on the chart. Only MPH at the bottom. Don't get me wrong, there might be a slight performance gain by using this product but you get trade off's too. By installing this kit, you just totally bypassed the engineering that went into your GM truck that prevents water from getting into your intake when driving through deep water. Why do you think you have all that black plastic in the right fender? Water and dirt go in by the grill (factory) through the upward ramp near the back of the fender (which gets rid of water and some heavier dirt) then over to your stock air filter. So yes, it sounds cool and maybe gets you a few ponies but will it pass a backfire test? Or other various tests that automakers have to pass. I think not.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Mar 16 2011, 4:03pm

CAIs give me one more thing to work on. I like that.

I also get 4000hp from it!
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby LBZDMAX » Mar 16 2011, 4:15pm

One of the guys at Meyer Performance (diesel perf shop) did a couple dyno runs with and without a CAI on his dmax. He saw a 5hp increase with it on.
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

LBZDMAX
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Mar 16 2011, 5:36pm

Man, where would we be without CAIs? I'm guessing the site traffic would slow to a crawl without topics like that...

Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Austin » Mar 16 2011, 6:21pm

Oh stars I can't handle any more posts about Cold Air Intakes! :roll:

Ladies and gents before you get too excited and jump on the bandwagon, let me point out a few things:
  • starspangled6.0 did not stumble upon this video, he searches out videos that will prove his point.
  • starspangled6.0 is a novelty junkie.
  • starspangled6.0 is 19 years old which gives him a lot of experience in this department.
  • starspangled6.0 feeds on worthless novelties and won't listen to anyone but the companies trying to sell him the junk.
  • starspangled6.0 shows us a freaking Dyno from AutoAnythin​g? :lol: What stake do you think AutoAnythin​g has in good dyno results? OF COURSE they want to show you the million horsepowzer gains from a product that they sell. starspangled6.0 keep these guys in business by buying their overpriced toys.

That said, I encourage you to rush out and buy a CAI if want one. All I'm saying is don't be like starspangled6.0 and believe everything you read. Look at things with critical eye, look who's interests are involved, do your homework in places other than the very company trying to sell you the garbage.

It's like voting for president based on his/her ad campaign without even listening (or refusing to listen) to the opposition. :? You've got to figure it out for yourself.
chevy astro vans, gas scooters, chevy truck forums | contact me
<?=while ( try() != $success ){ again(); echo "learn and earn"; }?>
Austin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 SLE
Group Membership:
Supporters
Administrators
Registered users

Dyno test of a CAI

Postby Jrluz14 » Mar 16 2011, 6:34pm

LBZDMAX wrote:One of the guys at Meyer Performance (diesel perf shop) did a couple dyno runs with and without a CAI on his dmax. He saw a 5hp increase with it on.

Of course you're going to see a larger gain with a CAI on a TURBO engine. Gas won't see much at all. I can't be one to talk because I run a CAI. But keep in mind that the CAI was the reason my engine blew last year. I drive through a PUDDLE, yes I said puddle and the wheel spit water right up into my air filter. I didn't think the puddle was that deep so I didn't slow down enough for it. If you have or get one, drive slow through puddles or avoid them all together.
Jrluz14
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 RCLB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chasmanian » Mar 16 2011, 7:11pm

On my 03 Tahoe 4X4 i saw a 1.5 to 2 mpg increase and maybe a lil power gain at different rpms. Worth the dollars? Not sure, but they do sound cool.

Also any time we went off road I would pull the filter and throw the stock air bock back in. Like Jrluz14 said, they don't like water and are a pain to get mud out of.

I think I am just going to add the Airaid tube to the factory air box on the truck and see how she does.
2014 Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 Z71
5% Tint, 7.5 inch Rough Country lift, Gear Alloy Big Block wheels 20x10 with Cooper STT 35x12.50

Buying things I don't need to impress people I don't know.
Chasmanian
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 122
Year: 2014
Extra Info: HD 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX » Mar 16 2011, 8:40pm

Jrluz14 wrote:
LBZDMAX wrote:One of the guys at Meyer Performance (diesel perf shop) did a couple dyno runs with and without a CAI on his dmax. He saw a 5hp increase with it on.

Of course you're going to see a larger gain with a CAI on a TURBO engine. Gas won't see much at all. I can't be one to talk because I run a CAI. But keep in mind that the CAI was the reason my engine blew last year. I drive through a PUDDLE, yes I said puddle and the wheel spit water right up into my air filter. I didn't think the puddle was that deep so I didn't slow down enough for it. If you have or get one, drive slow through puddles or avoid them all together.

That was my point exactly. Only 5hp on a dmax isn't worth the $. Gassers would most def see a lesser gain if any at all. They do make CAI's that are a little more protected than the one you had to get water in it from a puddle also. But I agree, they don't do enough to warrant the $.
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

LBZDMAX
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Mar 16 2011, 9:11pm

2 things:

1).The debate never ends. All I wanted to do was foster more discussions about the CAI- I found an interesting video, showing a truck that gained 24 HP with CAI. Do we know all of the test parameters? No. There's mountains of evidence proving that these things work, and mountains of evidence proving that they don't. The fact of the matter is, this truck did show a 24 HP gain on the dyno. Is this totally trustworthy? It's up to you- AutoAnything is a solid company, and if you think they're lying, just contact your lawyer and sue them.

2). Austin: I don't see the need for you to try and discredit my opinion with a juvenile mud-slinging session. Do I have much experience? No- less than you. Am I open to some of the more edgy truck products? Sure, why not? But that still doesn't mean you can simply try and slime whatever I post.

Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 6000 6.0L V8