jQuery not supported.

exhaust manifold bolts

exhaust manifold bolts

Postby davecarrr414 [OP] » Apr 01 2013, 11:21pm

just bought a 01 sierra C3, I have a couple of studs that are broken. im thinking about replacing them this weekend but should I go aftermarket or OEM studs. what have you used?
Original Poster
davecarrr414
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  exhaust manifold bolts   exhaust manifold bolts   Broken Exhaust Manifold bolts   Snapped exhaust manifold bolt...   Oil on intake manifold   Aluminum intake manifold?   Intake manifold/throttle body   mystery exhaust leak   Intake/Exhaust Valve Sequence   Long tubes, intake, exhaust and a tune on the 6.0   o2, mass air, misfire codes after new exhaust...help!! 
Vortec 6000 6.0L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: exhaust manifold bolts

Postby country1911 » Apr 01 2013, 11:26pm

I prefer stage 8, but a lot of people also recommend oem. Depends on what you can get for how much.
country1911
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: LTZ 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Trav00Sierra » Apr 04 2013, 6:28pm

If your manifolds aren't leaking I wouldn't bother trying to replace them, unless you plan on doing headers in the future kind of thing. Reason being I just tackled this job myself last month on my 00 sierra, I do have high k at over 400,000. I had 3 broken bolts, all on the drivers side. the first one was beside the power steering, I welded a nut to that one and came out easy, the other 2 were both the closest to the firewall, let me tell you what a pain is the a**. I couldn't get a strong enough weld with my cheapo welder to get the bolts to come out.. so ended up buying a angled drill to try and drill them out.. well I had the bit walk on me and I drilled on a bad engle and ended up drilling into the water jacket jus enough for a slow leak.. I wasn't to happy about that.. ran a tap in it and ended up putting a long bolt in there with lotsa silicon, then cut the bolt to use as an exhaust stud instead.. ya well it still leaks a bit. only reason I attemped this is because I am doing headers on my truck. So you might wana think about it if its worth the effort. Good luck.
Trav00Sierra
Topics: 1
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2500 Ex cab Long box
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby country1911 » Apr 04 2013, 6:58pm

I had the bolts on either side closest to the fire wall broken. I paid my mechanic to fix it as it was too much hassle for me. I did have a small exhaust leak which was evident by the staining on the manifolds.

Carbon monoxide is not something to mess with. If you think you have a leak, fix it. I was putting headers on, but discovered the leak in the process. I would get nauseous on long trips and just chalked it up to motion sickness, now I wonder. Makes me sick to my stomach when I think about my daughter sucking in CO in the back seat.
country1911
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby davecarrr414 [OP] » Apr 05 2013, 1:04am

I just picked up a set of OEM bolts. my drivers side is leaking. I just bought the truck like it is. looks like only the heads are broken off on mine so im hoping to pull the manifold and vice grip her out. I have no interest in headers, I like my truck stock

if I break one off flush. im just goanna pull the head off and have it fixed, you can get these heads off pretty quickly, this isn't my daily driver so I have been soaking everything in PB blaster for a few days now, im going to tackle it Saturday

should I use heat on all of the bolts to get them out to be safe?
Original Poster
davecarrr414
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Apr 05 2013, 1:19am

It's not that bad of a fix. To make it easier I would go in from the wheel well and remove the wheel and inner fender (the plastic part). I had a guy that we used to use at the Mazda dealer I worked at come and weld to the old broken bolts and get them out (after I removed the manifold). It cost $75, but was well worth it.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby ThomasG » Apr 05 2013, 2:02am

I always use my little mig welder and weld a nut on the bolt, even when it's broken off flush or deeper inside. After welding the nut on, let it cool off and soak it with WD 40, never had any trouble getting the bolt out. It may take a few attempts but it works. No need to take the heads off.
2013 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 5.3, greystone metallic, black GFX runningboards, HD mudflaps, trifold box cover and boxliner, Gibson headers, catback dual pipe on right side, Airaid intake tube, Diablo InTune, 2" drop shackles
ThomasG
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Extra Info: 1500 LTZ Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ASTE25 » Apr 05 2013, 4:25am

I agree. I would have done the removal myself, except I was doing the repair on a 4.3 and they have iron heads. I'm not good enough of a welder to make that weld on an iron head. It would be easy on an engine with an aluminum head because the weld will not "stick" to the aluminum.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby davecarrr414 [OP] » Apr 07 2013, 3:42pm

well my drivers side bolt all the way in the back is broken off not flush but it is broken deeper in the threads. there is really no way you can weld a nut on it. I didn't really want to drill it. so I went to my local parts store to get a head gasket kit and it was over 300 bucks so I scratched that for now, the back one is the only one I couldn't get out, so I picked up a set of felpro manifold gaskets , it is a thicker gasket material, (not the oem metal) and threw it back together. the leak has stopped for now.

im goanna wait till I have to pull the manifold for some other repair and then pull the head and do it right. thanks for the help!
Original Poster
davecarrr414
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby country1911 » Apr 07 2013, 4:05pm

One of mine was like that too. The bolt was actually broken twice. My mechanic built up weld so that it extended from the head then welded a nut to it.

I should mention it took him roughly 3 hours to remove 2 broken bolts. Definitely not an easy job and worth me paying him to do.
country1911
Group Membership:
Registered users