jQuery not supported.

Increasing gas mileage on a stock 2500 6.0

2008 SILVERADO 2500 4X4

Re: Increasing gas mileage on a stock 2500 6.0

Postby skip666 » Nov 08 2011, 1:28am

Dragon wrote:A lot of things that you can do to increase performance will also increase fuel mileage especially if you stay off the accelerator. I went from 12 to 19.5 mpg by getting new exhaust, new high flow air filter, tonneau cover and making sure that I shift at 2000 RPMs, as well as going easy on the accelerator and brakes and popping it in neutral while going down hills. Getting some non-ethanol gas and a fiberglass cover this weekend hoping to break the 20 wall, gonna baby it and see if I can hit 22. Gotta love a manual tranny. :lol:

yeah definatly gotta love manual trans cuz that only works with a manny tranny making sure u keep your oil and air filter clean helps as well and the fuel filter all basic maint stuff
skip666
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Gas Mileage Issue   04 silverado 2500hd gas mileage   2014 Silverado recall catch fire - bad gas mileage   Should I go with a gas 2500?   Considering trading my 2012 Gas 2500 to 2009 Diesel   increasing HP on my 98   2014 5.3l mileage   engine hour by mileage   Seafoam and High Mileage Engines   tire and fuel mileage Qustion   2014 Fuel Mileage Game- what are you getting?   Average fuel mileage reading on DIC   Poor running, bad mileage and now a random misfire, too!   Gas and Oil Mix! 
Vortec 6000 6.0L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

K&N COLD AIR INTAKE ANY GOOD

Postby MINNESOTAMIKE [OP] » Nov 09 2011, 1:10am

Anybody know if the K&N system is any good? 08 2500 Silverado 4X4 6.0 gas.
Last edited by EKinMN on Nov 10 2011, 2:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS when typing a post. People think you are YELLING at them. Thanks.
Original Poster
MINNESOTAMIKE
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 2500HD 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby love4chevysilverado » Nov 09 2011, 1:29am

K&N makes one of the better intakes, but for the most part almost all of the open box CAI's are going to give the same results except that the alloy intakes tend to get heat soaked, which will hinder the overall performance, but only a little

And most of the open box CAI's are in the same price range- $200-$400, any less than $200 and it's probably not as good build quality. For your application you might see 1-2 mpgs more.

Depending on how many miles are on your spark plugs (ie 60k) you could try switching to a higher quality plug like Bosch +4 Platinum's. their not much more expensive than a regular plug and you can get half an mpg more. Also if your willing to spend $300 on a CAI consider investing in an electric fan kit, you can find decent kits for under $70 on amazon, that'll account for another mpg. Every little bit adds up
love4chevysilverado
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 6.0L 3500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MINNESOTAMIKE [OP] » Nov 09 2011, 1:36pm

Fan kit what kind who makes it and how hard is it to put on? How does it work to improve gas mileage. I have 86k on my truck maybe i should change out my plugs.
Last edited by EKinMN on Nov 10 2011, 2:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS when typing a post. People think you are YELLING at them. Thanks.
Original Poster
MINNESOTAMIKE
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 2500HD 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dragon » Nov 09 2011, 4:38pm

:x Please, seriously enough with the caps
Last edited by EKinMN on Nov 10 2011, 2:12am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: MODERATOR NOTE: Modified previous post to adust for CAPITAL letters.
Dragon
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby love4chevysilverado » Nov 09 2011, 5:45pm

The Fan Kit:
http://www.amazon.com/PROCOMP-ELECTRIC- ... 668&sr=8-1

It's straightforward mounting the fans, just remove your fan clutch, fan shroud, and mount them.

The wiring is a different story, it'll be a learn as you go experience when I install mine, but if your not really sure how to install it have a local mechanic put them in for you

I'm all about the D.I.Y. experience because then your not dependent on anyone if there's a problem, you can just fix it yourself, but I wouldn't want you to mess up your truck either. Bottom line: if you don't feel comfortable with doing it yourself, have someone do it for you

Hope that explains the electric fan option a little better
love4chevysilverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby love4chevysilverado » Nov 09 2011, 9:09pm

Here check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZyAOW9XePI

He'll give you the rundown on the advantages of the electric fans and the basics on installing them. After he installs the fan he'll put in an intake, you can watch it if you like, the only difference is that it's a ford truck, essentially the same thing, slightly different, but it's a great walk-through if you've never done an intake before.

One last thing, he uses butt connectors for the fan, I am going to solder and heat shrink mine, I would recommend you do the same, the only difference is the stability of a soldered connection is a little more stable then butt connectors

I hope this helps you decide on your options,
Max
love4chevysilverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: K&N COLD AIR INTAKE ANY GOOD

Postby jocko463 » Nov 10 2011, 11:46pm

MINNESOTAMIKE wrote:Anybody know if the K&N system is any good? 08 2500 Silverado 4X4 6.0 gas.

Just be careful when you start looking at all the various "miracle mileage improvers" out there; make sure the cost:benefit ratio is in your ballpark. Check out the "real life" improvements versus the ones claimed by the marketing guys. For instance, K&N on their website talks about "guaranteed horsepower" but say nothing with regard to improving mileage. Spark plugs ....IMHO the best ones to run are the ones the engine was designed to use. In some cases the fancy, high-zoot multi-prong depleted uranium based titanium spark plugs can actually cause your engine to run worse than the stock plugs.

I would do some serious, serious research on the electric fan conversions before committing to installing one. Yes, there is a benefit to be had in eliminating the parasitic HP losses of running the mechanical fan, but ...these electric fans use high draw electric motors and will put an additional load on your alternator as it tries to keep the battery charged ....and there's a possibility you may need a larger capacity alternator and possibly a new radiator. Look beyond the *possible* mileage improvements versus how you use the truck (towing?; lots of heavy duty hauling; hot weather & A/C usage, etc) You could spend a boatload of money in search of maybe an mpg or two and hobble a critical system on your truck. The mechanical fan and clutch setup will draw huge CFM's of air through the radiator for low speed cooling ...you need to consider the capacities of any electric fans out there. My '06 was designed by GM for the electric fan setup but what specific design changes exist between it and the mechanical fan version I can only guess at. Here's a link to another forum about this topic for starts:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.p ... opic=97365

I'm not trying to rain on your parade and I'd be the last guy to tell someone they shouldn't wrench on their ride ....just be careful out there and take everything with good-sized grain of salt.
I'm not so much a smart guy as a guy smart enough to know how to find out....
'98 Sierra SL Reg Cab Short Bed
'06 Sierra SLE Extd Cab Short Bed

Support American Manufacturing and American Workers:
www.usamade.wordpress.com
www.americanmadeyes.com
jocko463
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Year: 1998
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SL Short Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby love4chevysilverado » Nov 11 2011, 12:25am

Jocko - your very correct

In my case I'm putting one on to restore power that'll I'll lose once my truck is lifted two inches, I hope it'll improve fuel mileage, but no biggie if it doesn't.

one thing though, depneding on the size of the fans, the most power you'll take from the alt. is 25 amps, maybe 30, but they'd have to be some pretty big fans. Yes if you have a crapload of 12v accessories connected at once then it may put a strain on the battery and alt. For my application I'll be swapping my autocraft battery to an optima dual purpose, their a little bit more money but it should pay for itself in the long run

Remember, nothing is gauranteed

Max
love4chevysilverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2002summit » Dec 19 2011, 3:57am

My truck came with steel wheels. Swapping them out to aluminum OEM wheels and adding a K&N intake improve fuel economy by 2-2.5 mpg.
2002summit
L I V E S T R O N G
'02 Silverado 2500HD
'92 SE-R
'85 MR2
2002summit
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Blogs: 1
Year: 2002