jQuery not supported.

looking for performance!

looking for performance!

Postby trucksmakemehorny [OP] » Feb 17 2012, 8:42pm

Hello my name is brad and i'm looking to get some more HP out of my truck, I have an 05 sierra 1500 HD with the 6 liter, I'm thinking of putting a turbo on or a supercharger wondering which one is better for MPG / HP and how much HP gains are and how badly the fuel mileage is affected how much boost she can hold all that good stuff
Original Poster
trucksmakemehorny
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 HD 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: looking for performance!

Postby starspangled6.0 » Feb 18 2012, 1:47am

Welcome, Brad! You've got a great truck there. The 6.0 is a mighty fine motor, and will keep you happy as long as you treat it right.

Now, about that horsepower :twisted:... you're looking at $3000-$6000 for a supercharger or a turbo, and that's just the base kit. Most companies offer lots of different options if you want to upgrade your performance (like intercoolers, bigger turbos, etc.). Generally, turbos offer more power, but superchargers are easier to install, and in some cases cheaper, too. What kind of budget are you looking at?

I'm no expert, but I doubt you'd have any trouble leaving the engine and transmission stock (except you will need a tune), if you add boost, within moderation, of course. And I wouldn't worry about MPG- if you really want to save money on gas, just put the $5000 you're spending on a forced induction system towards gasoline ;). You'll probably see better fuel economy with whatever setup you choose, but with that much power on tap, who cares :D?
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 305
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1500VHO » Feb 18 2012, 8:15pm

Hi Trucks,

I'm "assuming" that the 6.0L you have is the LQ4 version (300hp) vs the LQ9 version (345hp)... The main difference is compression. The LQ4 has 9.4 to 1 ratio, which would work with either a Turbo or Supercharger. The LQ9, however has a 10 to 1 ratio, which does not lend itself to turbo or supercharging...

Now to the question of which one and how much boost... First some fundamentals for thought...

Both turbochargers and superchargers are called forced induction systems. They compress the air flowing into the engineĀ­. The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine stuff more air into a cylinder. More air means that more fuel can be stuffed in, too, so you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder.

The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor.

There are tradeoffs in both systems.

In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs, which may lead to or create some "turbo lag" in acceleration until those rpm's are reached. There is also a lot more plumbing required in the engine compartment. The waste gate on the Turbo means that the engine is not always being pumped up and control of this part determines how much boost the compressor can achieve within its design parameters... Most modern turbo's take into effect the spinning of the compressor after the engine is shut off, by supplying a pressured oil system to the compressor bearings... A lot of early failures with Turbo's was because of lack of oiling to the compressor bearing...

Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive. They also run straight off the engine via a belt, so lag is less, but HP really comes on as the RPM's go up as well With that direct drive the engine is always being pumped up, and changing the boost requires changing the drive pulley. Because of this pulley system, it places more stress on the front end of the engine, the bearing for the compressor shaft, and the pulley system is also "assumed" to take 10-20% of the HP to run it, where as the turbo uses free exhaust power... I had a Supercharged Buick V6, and above 2,500 rpms, look out...

In either case, the fuel and exhaust systems will need some mods as well.. So be prepared for that too. Fuel to make sure the proper psi and flow is maintained in the system, and exhaust because the increase in air flow, means air flow out must be equal to or above the intake...

As for boost. The typical boost provided by either a turbocharger or a supercharger is 6 to 8 pounds per square inch (psi). Since normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level, you can see that you are getting about 50-percent more air into the engine. Therefore, you would expect to get 50-percent more power. It's not perfectly efficient, though, so you might get a 30-percent to 40-percent improvement instead. In your case, 100HP could easily be reached...

Personally. I like the Supercharger... Less to worry about, and all that polished aluminum looks really good sitting on top of the engine!

My two cents, and I hope this helped :D
ImageImage
1500VHO
Contributor
Contributor
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 26
Extra Info: 1 of 4701 built
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby SMOKE » Feb 18 2012, 9:07pm

Hey nicely put 1500
SMOKE
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rdss » Feb 19 2012, 3:39am

They have been putting super chargers and turbos on LQ9's for a long time with no problems. Of course if you push big boost you come into bigger problems. But granted, a lower compression ratio is better for higher boost levels.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby trucksmakemehorny [OP] » Feb 29 2012, 5:31pm

sorry ive been away from the computer for awhile.... it's the 300 HP version, this motor is built tough enough to not have to worry about hurting it after adding 100 HP? ie. head bolts dont stretch nothing of that nature?
Original Poster
trucksmakemehorny
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1500VHO » Mar 01 2012, 2:16am

Hi Trucks,

Nope! The 300hp version or the LQ4, is great for turbocharging or supercharging...

Link: Turbo

Link: Supercharger

It will be your choice :-)
ImageImage
1500VHO
Contributor
Contributor
Topics: 26
Extra Info: 1 of 4701 built
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby trucksmakemehorny [OP] » Mar 01 2012, 2:40pm

you guys are awesome! is there somewhere you guys know that I could order everything I would need in a package? turbo, injectors , computer tune all that good stuff?
Original Poster
trucksmakemehorny
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 » Mar 01 2012, 11:25pm

Got any speed shops around your place? You could probably hand the keys over to them for the whole job. Or, you could go with STS Turbo: http://ststurbo.com/gm_trucks
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Topics: 305
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby trucksmakemehorny [OP] » Mar 02 2012, 7:07pm

alright I will check them out thanks
Original Poster
trucksmakemehorny