jQuery not supported.

Oil Pump

I think my oil pump may have died!

Re: Oil Pump

Postby koolz71 » Dec 18 2010, 7:11am

Glad to hear u got it nipped in the bud...early detection is the key
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  6.0 no/low oil pressure after new oil pump install   93 K1500 GMC 350 oil pump question   6.0L vortec, no oil pressure after pump and OPSU change   oil cooler line failed. oil everywhere low oil pressure.   Changed oil sending Unit. oil pressure gauge pegged on high   Oil Leak - Suspect Oil Pressure Sender   2014 GM Truck Oil and Oil Capacity Information   Fuel Pump   fuel pump   airtex fuel pump?   oil/? leak above oil filter   Fuel pump lines, one 0-ring or two???   Replacing Fuel Pump on 01 Silverado   Replaced power syeering pump 
Vortec 6000 6.0L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby EKinMN » Dec 18 2010, 2:53pm

I am interested to understand whether your mechanic gave any indication of why the pump failed. Like you said, these engines are pretty solid. Even with 160k on it, it seems odd for this type of failure.
Did he mention finding any sludge, etc?
You mentioned the OLM was at 5%. What kind of oil do you use, and how often do you change it?
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Chevykid74 [OP] » Dec 20 2010, 3:44am

EKinMN wrote:I am interested to understand whether your mechanic gave any indication of why the pump failed. Like you said, these engines are pretty solid. Even with 160k on it, it seems odd for this type of failure.
Did he mention finding any sludge, etc?
You mentioned the OLM was at 5%. What kind of oil do you use, and how often do you change it?

The only probable he could come up with was some sludge was stuck in it, but was waiting till the parts came in before tearing into it.

As for the oil question, I have been using Penzoil since I got my first car and DL 20 years ago. I have inquired about AMSOIL on friday. I had not changed the oil on this truck as it was done at the dealer and I do not know what kind was used.

I will update tomorrow evening or tuesday, when i pick her up from the shop.
If everybody thinks they own the best truck, then why are so many fords, dodges, and toyotas on the road?
Original Poster
Chevykid74
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby EKinMN » Dec 20 2010, 5:35am

Penz Ultra and Penz Platinum are good oils. I cannot say, based on a lot of reading, that I would recomend regular Penzoil. A lot of analysis andwriting has been done regarding a waxy build up whn using Penzoil over the long term.
And, who knows what the dealer used.
If you are looking at AMSOil, or another premium synthetic, you are looking in the right place. I say go for it.

Also, if there is sludge around the pump, it's possible there is some in the smaller channels where the oil passes through. I'd run a good engine cleaner through, then change the filter. Add a good synthetic, and you are good to go.

Good luck!
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Chevykid74 [OP] » Dec 22 2010, 12:31pm

And the nightmare continues. Went to pick up my truck yesterday evening, walk into the garage and there she is up in the air! Both mechs saw me and hung there heads like we were at a funeral. I was informed they have been trying to clean the parafin off all the parts and pan just to get it back together. I saw the pump and must say I have never seen anything so nasty. It was obvious the truck was not taken care of with routine maintenance and/or used poor quality oil. They are going to add sea foam and recommended 1000 mile change and repeat at least 3 more times. Everyone in the shop was surprised the motor had not given out due to the amount of abuse.

As a side note, we have owned this truck since beginning of Sept. Was informed that "an older gentleman" owned it and downsized to a lighter truck as he no longer needed to haul heavy loads. This is the fourth vehicle purchased from the dealership and never had any problems with customer service or vehicles. I was slightly pissed to say the least and they also refuse to fix my wife's sunroof that they "repaired" 3 months ago.
If everybody thinks they own the best truck, then why are so many fords, dodges, and toyotas on the road?
Original Poster
Chevykid74
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby EKinMN » Dec 22 2010, 2:20pm

Sounds like the dealer has taken a turn for the worse...

I agree with the Sea Foam and oil changes every 1,000 miles. For now, run an oil that will help reduce deposits as well, like Valvoline MaxLife. Run that until you get it all cleaned up, then switch to your favorite brand (like AMSOil!).
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Chevykid74 [OP] » Dec 23 2010, 7:32pm

Got my truck back last night, not as happy as I should be. Still has a slight tapping, which could be from the sea foam cleaning the crap out, or .... Sending unit is bad, supplier did not have any stock. I think I will replace this myself. Drove around last night and to work this morning with "dinging" sound keeping me company. May pull the radio fuse till it is fixed. I have at least 5 oil changes to do over the next 1000 miles to get my engine clean. Mech said engine should last awhile as long as I take care of it.
Original Poster
Chevykid74
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby EKinMN » Dec 23 2010, 7:40pm

It's probably the Sea Foam causing the ticking. With that in there, your oil has very little viscosity.
Cleaning it out is the right thing to do, but you may have other unintended consequences as well. I had some sludge in my Dodge intrepid. I did the Sea Foam as well. Got the sludge out, but had to replace an oxygen sensor and one other component almost immediately. Maybe it was coincidence, but I doubt it.
Not trying to scare ya, just prepare ya.
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: Oil Pump- similar problem i need help

Postby johnyvice3 » Jan 09 2011, 9:59pm

i just had a similar problem. i have a '03 silverado 2500 hd, being used as a tow truck, 90,000 miles. the other day i had a light car on the back and had the truck sitting idle for about 10-15 mins, all of a sudden the chimes go off and the temp gauge is all the way to the right, like a hair away from the red. i dropped the car, shut it down and let it cool for 15 mins, i started it back up and drove it fine, it was normal when driving, i figured maybe clutch fan no good, but if temp is normal when drivin, 40mph+, the water pump must be fine. went back to body shop, coolant was pretty low, filled it, did pressure test on bottle. everything seemed fine, no visible leak, no stains. Then, later that night, im on highway with another car, oil pressure drops below 0, temp remains fine, i immediately pull over, shut it down and check oil. oil level is fine, start it back up, oil pressure needle is in the middle, i wait a little bit to drive, while doing 30mph, the needle sways a little but stays in center, but as soon as i slow down for a light, it drops to about 15-20. so next day i start truck, temp is fine, oil pressure needle in middle and raises a quarter of the way when i give it some gas, everything seems ok, but i dropped it off at mechanic. he wont be able to take a look till monday morning. Anyone have any kind of ideas or same problem? Maybe, oil pump bad, oil pressure sensor bad,i dont know. any help would be great, thanks guys.
johnyvice3
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 2500 HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby enginebuilder4life » Jan 10 2011, 8:38pm

Pennzoil and Quaker State are both Notorious for parafin. I only use Royal Purple oil and Donaldson filters.
enginebuilder4life
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Year: 2006
Extra Info: modified WT1500
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Vortec 6000 6.0L V8