jQuery not supported.

Oil Type Recommendation

Oil Type Recommendation

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Dec 28 2010, 5:57pm

I use my truck for work... and as business grows, that means plowing, plus towing heavy trailers full of lawn gear. I adore my truck, and want to treat it right; however, my budget needs to be reasonable. That brings me to this- my mechanic (who is VERY trustworthy) says that oil brand doesn't really matter, as long as I'm following the 3 month\3000 miles schedule. With the abuse that my truck is in for, is there any merit to switching to full synthetic? The O'Reilly brand oil that I use is like $2.00\quart, but synthetic closer to $7.00\quart. Is it worth the extra $$$?

I use full synthetic in my snowblower, but that oil gets changed about twice a season, and it only uses 20 ounces. $30-$50 oil changes (not counting all the add-on fees) for my truck aren't really my cup of tea. Anybody have proof that switching to Royal Purple or Amsoil is going to save me $$$ in the long run?
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 301
Blogs: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Oil Filter Type   oil cooler line failed. oil everywhere low oil pressure.   Coolant type   2007 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 6.0L v8 N 8th Digit Gas Type?   Changed oil sending Unit. oil pressure gauge pegged on high   A quart low on oil normal after 4k miles between oil change?   Oil Leak - Suspect Oil Pressure Sender   6.0 no/low oil pressure after new oil pump install   2014 GM Truck Oil and Oil Capacity Information   oil/? leak above oil filter   Oil   oil   Oil recommendations   Oil pressure 
Vortec 6000 6.0L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Oil Type Recommendation

Postby Chevykid74 » Dec 28 2010, 6:45pm

I have always been a penzoil person myself and always stayed away from "off-brand" or "store brand" oils. You put good in, you get good out! The previous owner of my truck did not think this way or it would not be in the shop with parafin build up. As soon as I get her back and cleaned out, I am switching to Amsoil! The cost might be more at first, but you will not be changing your oil as much. (at least that is what I have read and come to the conclusion)Amsoil is really not that expensive compared to some of the other synthetics out there. I have spent about a month researching the same question about switching to synthetic. Mike aka Z15 has some good info about Amsoil, he is a distributor.

Good luck!
If everybody thinks they own the best truck, then why are so many fords, dodges, and toyotas on the road?
Chevykid74
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Z15 » Dec 28 2010, 6:50pm

Like most people, mechanics are virtually untrained in oils and lubes. What makes them dangerous is that they have some sort of initial credibility. Case in point, 3,000 miles or 3 month oil change. There is no reason to follow that advice. AMSOIL flatly says their XL oils will go 10,000 miles/6 months or longer where stated by vehicle oem or indicated by oil life monitoring system. The oil has a list price $6.95 qt and less in case lots. Even up 25% less as a Preferred Customer. Follow this link to more information on the XL oils...---->AMSOIL XL Oil

You can use this in your snow-blower although 2x a year is not needed, once is good enough with AMSOIL.

AMSOIL is a company based in Superior, WI (Duluth). AMSOIL is manufactured in Superior and Superior is the world headquarters for AMSOIL. AMSOIL been producing synthetic lubricants since 1972.
Last edited by Z15 on Dec 28 2010, 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 121
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby demon2a » Dec 28 2010, 7:04pm

I have never had the chance to run any amsoil products in my vehicles but im a strong beliver in Royal Purple. About two years ago I worked at a cheese factory as a maintence tec and a rep from royal purple came out and told us he could save the company money. we were like heard this before we had a set of air compressores that were always running hot he put the oil in and we ran them all day and they never got hot i was amazed, so i tried it first in the rear end in my truck, drove the truck 300 miles and reached under and felt the housing and it was still nice and cool. then i tried the radiator additive and the truck accutally ran cooler during the summer, the oil is great leave the truck sit for two weeks and come start it up all the parts still are lubed. check it out
demon2a
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Blogs: 5
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby adams99z71 » Dec 28 2010, 11:04pm

Z15 wrote:Like most people, mechanics are virtually untrained in oils and lubes. What makes them dangerous is that they have some sort of initial credibility. Case in point, 3,000 miles or 3 month oil change. There is no reason to follow that advice. AMSOIL flatly says their XL oils will go 10,000 miles/6 months or longer where stated by vehicle oem or indicated by oil life monitoring system. The oil has a list price $6.95 qt and less in case lots. Even up 25% less as a Preferred Customer. Follow this link to more information on the XL oils...---->AMSOIL XL Oil

You can use this in your snow-blower although 2x a year is not needed, once is good enough with AMSOIL.

AMSOIL is a company based in Superior, WI (Duluth). AMSOIL is manufactured in Superior and Superior is the world headquarters for AMSOIL. AMSOIL been producing synthetic lubricants since 1972.

ok while i agree that some oils will not break down over that amount of time changing your oil sooner is a very good idea. not so much an issue for newer trucks but once your truck hits that five year, ten year old mark your trucks GOING to have comtamination. changing oil at 3,000-5,000miles is a very inexpensive way to keep your engine out of the rebuild shop.
as for what brand of oil its totaly up to you, if your going to push the oild change intervel to 10-15k go ahead and spend a little more on some good oil.

if your like me and plan to keep your truck for awhile then go with a name brand mid-high quality oil and change it way before 4,ooo miles.

chevykid74- i have a deep seated hatred for pensoil. back in high school we rebuild a dodge duster slant 6cyl. that was said to have run only on pensoil all its life and there was nothing but sludge in the oil pan...i mean nothing but sludge!
nbs99 z71 325ci v8, stock 4wheel disc brakes, no cats, flow master classic 40 series, rhino line, custom fog lights, cb, bully dog tunner, 4:10 locker, airbag load leveling, 205,000miles.
adams99z71
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Blogs: 2
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 325ci Z71 ext cab LS
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby thenutter » Dec 28 2010, 11:54pm

I personally use Mobil 1 even with 119,000 miles. But the 3k oil change makes sense for such an old engine, I am just a sucker for the finer things.
2003 Silverado 1500HD LT 121,100 miles.
Magnaflow dual exhaust. Westin side boards. K&N Drop in. 33in Nitro Terra Grapplers. Mobil 1 High Mileage. AVS bug guard. 3.73 Rear end. Mismatched Tonnue Cover.
thenutter
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 23
Blogs: 5
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby rdss » Dec 29 2010, 2:33am

I have always switched to Mobil 1 but have been considering trying Amsoil which has always had a great rep.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby EKinMN » Dec 29 2010, 4:15am

There are almost as many opinions about oil, as there are types of motor oil. staspangled6.0--if you are really working your truck hard, you will certainly see a benefit from a high quality synthetic. You are working it harder, probably idling more, etc. It's going to be up to you as to how far you want to extend the oil drain interval. But pick a really good oil, and then stick with the brand you choose.

Secondly, lots has been written about Penzoil. I think there is some truth to the older, conventional Penzoil, and it's sludge issues (some call it wax). The new Penz Platinum is a great oil, with lots of tests showing that it is very clean, and very durable. I would definitely consider it a good option.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Dec 29 2010, 1:00pm

Synthetic lubricants are made from pure chemicals, not refined crude. Their components are chemically reacted to produce finished products with pre-designed performance characteristics. Because of their molecular uniformity, they excel in reducing friction, which improves fuel efficiency, controls heat and reduces wear. This molecular uniformity also helps synthetics resist thinning in hot temperatures and thickening in cold. Synthetic lubricants may be made to fulfill virtually every lubricating need.

AMSOIL synthetic lubricants last longer than other lubricants do because they are built to do so, which reduces lubricant costs and the amount of used oil that must be disposed. AMSOIL has always formulated its products to be the absolute best, continually researching ways to make their already outstanding products even better. AMSOIL has 38 years of experience blending premium extended drain synthetic oils--that’s 38 years worth of proven performance in the field! No one else even comes close to this amount of experience with synthetic lubricants. Other oil companies, however, are beholden to shareholders, and one could speculate that their incentive is to maximize profit. These companies formulate oils down to a price, rather than formulating them to be the best product they can be. Then, they price their products to maximize profits. This might be why they continue to suggest 3,000 miles oil changes. This is completely opposite from the approach AMSOIL has taken over the last 38 years!

You guys in the MN, WI, MI areas may have seen the Guardian Pest control trucks running around? All those trucks have been running AMSOIL for years and the company have saved a lot of money doing so. There is driver here that I know, he tells me his has been running 35,000 miles on test oil and his truck is in the hundreds of thousands of miles.

Here is a link to view the case study on Guardian Pest Control
Last edited by Z15 on Dec 29 2010, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 121
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby CHEBBY » Dec 29 2010, 1:18pm

Z15, Very nice post.
CHEBBY
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 6.2 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 6000 6.0L V8