jQuery not supported.

Anyone else feeding an 8.1?

Anyone else feeding an 8.1?

Postby Q-Ball [OP] » Jan 18 2011, 2:11pm

I just bought an '03 2500HD with the 8.1l. I wouldn't have ever gone with an engine that big, but I got a sweet deal on a very clean truck from a buddy. As you can imagine the gas mileage is just abominable, 10.5 to 11 MPG. I have a '91 Foretravel 36' Class A RV with a Detroit 8.2 that averages about 11.4 You know you have issues when a 36' 20,000 lb RV is getting better gas mileage than your truck. Anyway, it was purchased as a spare, 4WD vehicle that I can get the whole family in and just general truck stuff. It won't be driven daily, or perhaps even weekly which is another reason the mileage isn't a deal breaker. I would however like to wring every bit of mileage out of this monster I can and I am not averse to spending a few hundred to do so.
I have a couple questions I guess.
1: Is this a worthwhile endeavor or am I just wasting time and money that I need to save for the gas pump?
2: Say the budget is $750, where is that money best spent, programmer? CAI and Exhaust?
This doesn't seem to be a real common engine, I am guessing because of this very reason.
Thanks
Q
Original Poster
Q-Ball
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD 4X4 8.1L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Anyone else feeding an 8.1?

Postby enginebuilder4life » Jan 18 2011, 2:57pm

Not fair trying to compare gas engine mpg to diesel engine mpg
The best bang-for-the-buck is lowering. Try for 2" all around. That's safe and easy. Second, if it's a longbed, is a tonneau cover. If you have skills, you can make a decent one from 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood.
What size tires? Air them up. When replacing, use LT235/85R16, load range E, and run them at 80 psi, ALL the time. Get a Hypertech E-Con, and use that to recal your speedo to match the new tires. They should have a highway tread, and a Low Rolling Resistance rating. You can search that on www.tirerack.com
Don't ever exceed the posted speed limits. At first, it's difficult to not do 5 over the posted limits, but noone can force you. Ignore the headlights, horns and middle fingers, they're not helping you pay for your fuel. And you're big enough that they won't dare hit you. If they tailgate, no worries. Their problem, in all 50 states.
The Dodge V10 guys claim 14 mpg, and they were 8.0L gas engines.
Your biggest mileage killer of all is bad Exhaust Oxygen Sensor(s), replacing those usually does wonders.
Skip the CAI and the exhaust, both flow well enough for economy driving. Better to buy new spark plugs and MSD coils.
enginebuilder4life
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: modified WT1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hartski » Jan 18 2011, 3:15pm

Switching to all synthetic fluids will help a small bit.
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Q-Ball [OP] » Jan 19 2011, 8:56pm

engine builder
Yeah I know the whole gas vs diesel fuel economy thing but still, the truck has about a 13500 lb weight advantage! Cmon!
Seriously thanks for the info, I did air up the existing tires, they were seriously under inflated. It's not like I am gonna be wheeling this thing a lot but it'll get driven through more than it's share of rough muddy cow pastures so I'm not going to be doing any lowering and I'm going to stick with an AT type tire although not a serious mudder, and I will look at Tire rack when replacement time comes around for tires with lower rolling resistance. I kinda feel the same way about a bed cover, I don't want to impair utility or be futzing with taking off a cover when I need to haul some straw or feed for my bro. What do you think about the tube type tailgates? Seems that they might offer some of the same benefits as a tonneau but w/o a lot of the hassle. Is there any way to check the O2 sensor to see if it's working or should I just replace 'em on the theory that they are going to have packed in after 130K miles?
hartski
I have about 1500 miles left on the existing oil, which will, I hope see me through 'till warmer weather. I was planning to switch over to Mobile 1 and flush and fill the tranny and switch to Tran-Synd, do a full fluid replacement for the t-case, diffs, coolant, and brakes do you have any recommendation for synthetic fluids for the t-case and diffs?
Planning on replacing the belts and probably the water pump too since with 130K the water pump cant be too far from packing in.
Thanks again guys
Original Poster
Q-Ball
Topics: 4
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 2500HD 4X4 8.1L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hartski » Jan 19 2011, 9:58pm

Been hearing a lot of good stuff about AMSOIL lately.
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jan 19 2011, 10:01pm

The use of AMSOIL synthetic motor oil, gear lubes and transmission fluids can have a profound impact on fuel economy. Industry tests demonstrate an average conservative decrease in fuel consumption by two to five percent by switching to synthetic lubricants. Many AMSOIL customers report even larger gains in fuel economy.

AMSOIL synthetic lubricants improve fuel economy by allowing moving parts to move more freely, using less energy and creating less friction than when conventional lubricants are used.

Product Application Guide including capacities, filters & product recommendations
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 121
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Hartski » Jan 19 2011, 10:10pm

Right on Cue, Z15.
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jan 19 2011, 10:27pm

Just sitting here in the shop while Jared (2007 D/A Classic) is changing his gf 2000 Cherokee over to all AMSOIL. They got the engine and trans done and are working on the axles now. His buddy and him will have this done in an hours time.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 121
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby LBZDMAX » Jan 19 2011, 10:52pm

Jesus, you AMSOIL guys are everywhere. That's why you hear all that good stuff Hartski!!! One mention of any fluid and there's an instant link to their products, LOL.

That 8.1 is a beast. My buddy Wendell just sold his actually. It was one of the nicest crew-cabs I've EVER seen. Anyway, you're gonna get shit mileage with that thing no matter what you do I'd bet. Tune it, exhaust, etc., and your shit mileage will turn in to kinda sorta shit mileage :)

We tried EVERYTHING with his and he gained a few here and there depending on his driving style. He wasn't easy on it though and I'm sure that was his major downfall in the mpg game. Since you're willin to spend a few bills on it try the basics and see what happens. If you can keep from throttlin that thing everywhere then you'll probably be happy afterwards.

edit: forgot to mention that his best mpg he reported after the tuner was 15!! That was a highway trip to KS cruisin across the flatland!
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

LBZDMAX
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Blogs: 20
Year: 2007
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Portmanblaze91 » Jan 20 2011, 12:16am

I was just refered to this site by a guy a work with when it comes to fuel milage. There's some radical ideas on there but worth a look.

http://ecomodder.com/
"Support Search and Rescue - GET LOST!"

Jon
Portmanblaze91
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 7
Blogs: 1
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Vortec 8100 8.1L V8

Common search terms

anyone engine thanks tires feeding make first problem right still help work same think

It is currently Jul 25 2014, 2:33am

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
SHOP TALK (Live Chat)
Vortec 8100 8.1L V8 Forum
Vortec 8100 8.1L V8 specific.
To create a new topic in Vortec 8100 8.1L V8, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds