Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Category idea

4K views 80 replies 17 participants last post by  Daly 
#1 ·
I've noticed lately that a lot of build threads, I know people are putting them in the uncategorized truck section. But, if there is enough interest in people doing build thread, maybe we could get a dedicated Category for build threads? It's just a thought but it might help clean up the uncategorized section and organize the build threads.
Anybody for this?

#2 ·
The question is what are they building?

Are they building up the Suspension on their truck?

Are they building up their Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 to put a super charger on it?

There are a few complete builds, but as an information database, it's important to keep categories cut and dry, the less gray area the better.

Please don't take this as I'm shooting your idea down, it's a great idea and I like it. We'll keep this around for future reference for when we get to the point where a "Build Thread" would be more beneficial to our site, I just don't see it at this moment in time.

Thank you for the continued input. Our members is what really makes this site and we appreciate every bit of information that each and every one of you share.

Keep on truckin'

#3 ·
As I recall, this was one of the original intents of the blog area. One could keep coming back to the blog and add on each mod, so the build is fully documented over time.
Not saying we have to do it that way, but it would work well.

- EKinMN via AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
I understand putting "engine" or "suspension" build threads in those respective categories. I'm talking about truck builds, or complete builds. To be honest I've never think to use the blog section on this site. It was just a suggestion, that I've noticed other sites using, and it helps keep some organization to the topic...

#6 ·
I like the build thread idea...

That way when the person posts something new you see it when I click "active topics"... which is how I normally browse the forum... I don't go to somebody's blog to figure out what they have done to their truck lately...

And it could be a general category that covers all aspects of modification... one guy may be lifting his truck while another may be pimping out the interior with a killer audio system...

#9 ·
KBacon said:
I like the build thread idea...

That way when the person posts something new you see it when I click "active topics"... which is how I normally browse the forum... I don't go to somebody's blog to figure out what they have done to their truck lately...

And it could be a general category that covers all aspects of modification... one guy may be lifting his truck while another may be pimping out the interior with a killer audio system...
I'm suggesting that it be for complete truck builds, because there are other categories for specific builds like the interior, or audio, suspension etc... One could post specifics in those categories, but still post in their build thread, so that there is a complete thread on everything they are doing. I don't want it to take away from the specific topics, but to give some one a place to show the truck completely.

#15 ·
Okay, I'm still not 100% for this topic, BUT....

IF we created this forum, do you see it as more beneficial as a subcategory of "Uncategorized Truck Topics" or as it's own stand alone forum?

What do you think about the rules of the forum? Here is something I found in a similar forum for rules:
"Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread."

I'm thinking that we need to be very strict about this to eliminate clutter as I first had concerns about. If we can all be on the same page, I'll work on it, but it WILL NOT happen over night.

I like the idea of you, the members, coming up with rules, that way, if you break them and we punish you.... HEY, those were your rules, not mine, LOL. Not to say that we won't tweak them a little to be consistent with the rest of the site, but hey.

Keep the ideas flowing ladies and.... ladies! :)

#17 ·
One rule I would suggest is, that in order to post in that forum, the topic must be about the complete truck build, not just a specific part of the truck. Those build topics belong in the specific parts category, ie. susp., engine, ect...
As for whether it should be it's own forum or a sub forum, it could work either way. But, I would think having it on the front page along with members intro, and junk draw would work best.
I understand where you're coming from Nathan, and I completely agree with you that before it's started rules need to be set. It should also be easy to follow the rules, and any post not following the rules should be removed to keep out the clutter.
The other thing to consider, is do we have build threads for the trucks or the user? Should it be 'Daly's' truck build or 'Daly's 2012 Silverado'? If its a user build thread, then in theory when I get a new truck I could just continue on with my original thread, but with the new truck. But, if we do truck based threads, then if I buy a new truck, I start a new thread. These are things that need to be ironed out first and I look forward to helping lay the foundation to what could be a great new forum for SilveadoSierra.
Any thought on rules and setup are welcome and encouraged.

#18 ·
I would definitely say that it must be a complete build thread, not just "check out my new lift" or "plastidipped my bowties". An all encompassing start to finish documentary of a vehicle. I would have it vehicle specific, so that if someone has multiple vehicles, or replaces one, there would be a thread for that specific vehicle.

Some sites label it as 'Build Threads', some "Under Construction", some other things. I think one of those two would be best.

Not sure how you'd feel about having moderators/admins approve threads before they post, like the Classifieds... but that would help prevent the wrong stuff being posted there. Of course, that would add a bit of work for the mod team. Maybe open up a forum mod spot just for that?

Definitely have a sticky at the top with the rules for the forum.

#19 ·
My only concern about "complete" build is that everyone has to start somewhere. So there may be a build thread that has a leveled truck in it.

A build thread to me should be everchanging. You start out with perhaps (new trucks) a list of what you're going to do. Than as you cross them off the list, there's a running record of it, in one place. When a guy does his build thread after the fact, it will look a little different. Here's what I've done so far and what my future plans are.....

I agree with having the rules. I like that it should say either the truck name or owners name in the title.

This is gonna be sweet!

-Voodoo via AutoGuide.com App

#20 ·
mfdrookie516 said:
I would definitely say that it must be a complete build thread, not just "check out my new lift" or "plastidipped my bowties". An all encompassing start to finish documentary of a vehicle. I would have it vehicle specific, so that if someone has multiple vehicles, or replaces one, there would be a thread for that specific vehicle.

Some sites label it as 'Build Threads', some "Under Construction", some other things. I think one of those two would be best.

Not sure how you'd feel about having moderators/admins approve threads before they post, like the Classifieds... but that would help prevent the wrong stuff being posted there. Of course, that would add a bit of work for the mod team. Maybe open up a forum mod spot just for that?

Definitely have a sticky at the top with the rules for the forum.
I have to agree with you. Truck Build is just that a build, not a place to just show that you just got your income tax check and put on a lift kit and next income tax check I will put new tires on it. Those types of topics should stay in their respective forums, to me, its not a "build, its just modifications.

Now, if someone is "building" a truck from scratch or tearing their monster down and rebuilding it, then its worthy. Buying a junker and bringing it back to life is totally worthy.

This is my concern, members own beliefs on what a Build Thread should be. Now, our Silverado and Sierras that are focused on here are '99 and newer. How many projects include these model years?

T1 via AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
Ok .. Ive gleaned the post & there are some great ideas here..just a couple of questions;

Can mods move post to the correct category?
Can there be a "Build" category , that has sub folders labeled ,interior, exterior, suspension, turbo, lift...etc??

Thanks for the consideration.

#24 ·
There are already categories for specific builds on the main page, so I wouldn't clutter the Build forum with sub-categories. I would just make it an area where guys can post the complete build of their truck.

I would say it could be the work you've done on your truck, whether it be a classic or a 2014, it's still a build. You're still building the truck to suit your needs and taste. I would just say if you are going to post a build thread, you have to continue it. Not just post a few pics of a lift you put on and thats all you plan to do.

I've been thinking of starting a build thread on my truck, but not just yet. I plan on doing some custom one off work myself, but I'm not ready to yet, just don't have the time...

I'll think of a few rules and guidelines or the next few days and see what I can come up with, that might help set up a good forum for us to enjoy...

#26 ·
Why not just have built and you start one and just keep posting in it it didn't have to have category's if you start a built thread u keep posting in it with your upgrades if there category's there's goin to be alot of new threads just keep it simple one build thread for your truck

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.