jQuery not supported.

Suggestion for old threads

Re: Suggestion for old threads

Postby Admin » May 19 2017, 2:37pm

@SierraHarley - we thank you for you act or vigilance but it would be best for those to hear it from a moderator so report it to the mods and they'll send the PM to the user reviving an old thread - that is, if we collectively decide and agree to go down that route.

That said, would including a sticky or notice somewhere in the forums (perhaps site FAQs and/or Members Intros section) be useful to inform the community they will get a warning/infraction if they revive an old/dead thread? Should it be clear for anything before a certain year, say anything 2015 or older?

Shall we decide on whether or not to archive those older threads? Yay or nay on the topic?

Thanks for your time on this.

Cheers,
Natalie :)
Admin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 70
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 1988
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby rollover » May 19 2017, 3:41pm

I understand that at times it may be annoying to click on a post only to find out that its five years old and that it is obvious that the person who revived it didn’t realize how old it was. On the other hand I think that many times an old post was revived and it started a whole new round of productive and pertinent discussion and new ideas and answers were brought out by new players. Sometimes bringing back and old post makes a good starting point such that you don’t need to restate the issue. I think the problem is people don’t keep their subscription list cleaned out and thus get an email when an old post is resurrected. Leave things alone and if it bothers somebody that they are getting emails then that should prompt them to do some housekeeping on their subscription list. After all it is very easy to remove entire pages of subscriptions at a time with one click. It’s called accountability.
rollover
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L LS 1500 4X4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silverado9009 » May 19 2017, 4:48pm

Nay,
I agree with member: rollover above
I would rather walk everyday, than drive something other than a Chevy.
Silverado9009
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby n8dh » May 19 2017, 4:52pm

^^OK Bria...I mean Keith.

I vote yay. What the heck is wrong with having them ARCHIVED (not deleted) so that they are able to be read, and just not posted in? it will clean up the site much better.
2012 Silverado LT|4.8|4x4|Glorified Fleet Truck - Totalled
2010 Silverado LT|5.3|4x4|RC 2"|17x9 -12 Ultra Baron|Airaid MIT|JT3030XL|32 Dump Club|Window Tint|Tow Mirrors|Tinted Tails
n8dh's 2010 Silverado
n8dh
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 34
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: LT 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182ricka182 is online! [OP] » May 19 2017, 5:47pm

^^^ This is all I was trying to say. But a lot of keyboard fighters have to turn this into a damn charade or some game...
2006 Silverado 1500
Corsa DB Catback
RC Keys w/ 4" Blocks
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
55w 5K HID

Illegitimi non carborundum
Original Poster
ricka182ricka182 is online!
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 127
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » May 19 2017, 10:21pm

So here's the irony of it all....We now are asking that we "Cane a member in the public square" for reviving an old thread to get an answer or thank a member for an informative write-up, yet the same people would bitch like a 12-year-old girl with a scraped knee if someone asks a question in a new thread that has probably already been asked and answered. So, do we publicly humiliate someone for searching for their answer then reviving the old thread or do continue to humiliate the person that comes in and starts a new thread?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Jasen: 2 2x4's, 4 eye bolts, 5 pulleys and rope is all you need for a shell lift.
Onlyina_Chevy: do you have a diagram of that system Jasen?
Jasen: I could scribble someth'n up, where are my crayons?
Onlyina_Chevy: Next to your helmet.
Upcoming Review - Boss Coilovers for GM 1500 trucks
Upcoming Review - Boss Rear Shocks
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 254
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby SierraHarleySierraHarley is online! » May 19 2017, 10:55pm

I think it's fine as it is. Certainly don't punish someone for posting in an old thread. Just laugh at them and move on, there are way more important things to worry about.
SierraHarleySierraHarley is online!
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x2 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby silentbravo » May 19 2017, 11:47pm

Maybe on older threads it should warn you with a message "The last post is X years old, Do you really want to post?". That would be a failsafe in case the user missed the posting date or last post. Some old threads can still have further discussion years later so I don't know that they all need to be locked away.

For all of those 1 post threads that never received an answer to a question, it would be fine IMO to archive those since they probably don't have any useful information or discussion. How many times has someone searched the google and found exactly the same question on the site and got excited, only to be disappointed that it wasn't even answered :P
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Nerf bars, Window Deflectors, Flowpro muffler, Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
silentbravo
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby apcncapcnc is online! » May 20 2017, 12:43am

All this is a bit dramatic. I think Onlyina_Chevy had the right idea to begin with... Just let it go. It's not a big deal.
apcncapcnc is online!
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2011
Extra Info: SLT CC 4X4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » May 20 2017, 6:05am

Admin wrote:That said, would including a sticky or notice somewhere in the forums (perhaps site FAQs and/or Members Intros section) be useful to inform the community they will get a warning/infraction if they revive an old/dead thread?

Ye of little knowledge of our forum. Half the members don't read the FAQs...probably more than half. I'd say the better part of the members that are resurrecting old posts did their search for an answer or just asked a quick question on an old post and when they get their answer, they went about their lives. When it comes down to it, people (that do) register just come in for an answer to a problem. They have their truck tore down in the driveway and want a quick answer. They aren't going to read the FAQs. IF people read them or that "Welcome Email" in its entirety, I wouldn't have to delete 1 to 2 duplicate posts per day because they didn't read that their first post has to be approved by a member of the moderating team...lol.

THAT BEING SAID...maybe we can create a parameter that requires a member to read certain threads in the FAQs before they can post. Within those specific threads, they would have to have to reply to that thread stating that they have read the allotted threads within before they could post in the open forum. I've had to jump through hoops on some forums before I was given the privilege to post on their site. You don't want to see an old fat guy jump through hoops...it's not a pretty sight by any stretch of the imagination. You know what?... let's create a visual real quick for your own entertainment; a 5' 7", chubby Italian guy getting into a Mazda RX-7. You got that image in your head.....not pretty is it? Anywho, maybe we could do something like that. We'd have to rewrite certain FAQ threads, but it's doable.

And no grandfather clause. Everyone that is a member (that isn't a moderator...because we are special), now has to go back and read the FAQs that I personally pick out for you to read before you can post again or use the chat box. Just kidding. Don't go into afib Rick, Monte, Mike, Jerry, Josh, Jasons, Terrys, Tom, Adam, Brandon, Ryan, Jeffs, Nates, Matt, Quint, Neal, Joes, Kyles, Johns, Drew, Larry and Jimbos....did I leave anyone out?
Jasen: 2 2x4's, 4 eye bolts, 5 pulleys and rope is all you need for a shell lift.
Onlyina_Chevy: do you have a diagram of that system Jasen?
Jasen: I could scribble someth'n up, where are my crayons?
Onlyina_Chevy: Next to your helmet.
Upcoming Review - Boss Coilovers for GM 1500 trucks
Upcoming Review - Boss Rear Shocks
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 254
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen
PreviousNext

Return to Website Concerns