jQuery not supported.

4 ply tires?

4 ply tires?

Postby zitjos99 [OP] » Jan 25 2013, 5:12am

Aright guys and girls, got a question looking for some insight on the tires i just bought. they are nitto terra grapplers(275/65/18) on XD Misfits. They are 4 ply tires, i have a 1500, i talked to the guys at work and i talked to represenative at discount tires direct where i bought the tires. the represenative said he has 4 plys on his 1500 and tows and hauls his boat and trailer frequently and no issues and a few guys from work say they will be fine for a 1/2 ton truck but the one guy i work with said the bets will break and stuff if i drive "aggresively." i put a decent amount of highway miles on my truck. i dont go mudding and stuff i keep it pretty tame like dirt roads for hunting etc.

So my question is, was buying 4 plys a mistake? or will they hold up
Original Poster
zitjos99
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  New tires to replace OEM tires   NEW tires help   new tires   New tires   Tires   need some help with tires   Need Tires   Got the new tires!!!   New (old) 31 in tires   Need new tires   best LOOKING tires   Tires   new tires   New Tires 
Wheels/Tires Sponsor
TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
Special Offers for SilveradoSierra.com members.
Manufacturer's promotions available from TireRack.com

Re: 4 ply tires?

Postby fz1rider » Jan 25 2013, 6:01am

A little confused about the comment how your tires will tear up the truck but perhaps I can shed some light on your tire decision. LT tires are an American engineering designation for tires that have a D or greater load carrying capacity. The P-metric are primarily for passenger vehicles but also stock on 1/2 ton trucks. All tires not marked with the LT or P designation like I suspect your Terra Grapplers are either flotation or other light duty tire. I personally run 8ply LT tires in an aggressive all terrain thread for their durability, puncture resistance and E-rated load capacity. They have a Max psi of 80 but I typically run them at 50-55 until I have a heavy load. They don't tear up my little 1/2 ton rather make it more capable. GL
fz1rider
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD 4x4 extra cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zitjos99 [OP] » Jan 25 2013, 6:06am

thanks alot, im just concerned of the belts breaking and getting the vibrations that come with broken belts in a tire. i just do not want to make a mistake when i could have got 8 plys for 7 more dollars a peice i didnt realise it until after i purchased the tires.. duhhhh on my part
Original Poster
zitjos99
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tcnoakes » Jan 25 2013, 6:10am

I think youll be ok... I run 10 ply tires... They ride super rough. But they get many more miles and are much more resistant to punctures... The last set of 6 ply tires I ran I had to plug 3 times.
tcnoakes
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 43
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby steved » Jan 25 2013, 1:58pm

One thing we have sort of missed is that while they are a "4-ply" tire, what is their ply rating? A lot of manufacturers have been able to use less plys and maintain a strong tire due to better materials. For example, a typical "10-ply" rated tire may in fact only have 6 actual plys.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... o?pc=40465

If you look at the listing for the tire you quoted, you will notice it is <GASP!> 4 plys!! Again, its all in the details...

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/terragrappler#size

Here are the only listings for the Terra in that size...notice the load rating, that's really all that matters. Also make note of the "ply ratings" on the bottom of this page...the tire you want is a 4-ply tire, but it can have multiple ply ratings.

*275/65R18 120S 3086 pounds @ 50psi (designated an extra load [XL] tire)
LT275/65R18 E123R 3415 pounds @ 80psi

I would say either of these two tires would serve well on a 1500...
steved
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 37
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2500HD 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fz1rider » Jan 28 2013, 2:32am

tcnoakes wrote:I think youll be ok... I run 10 ply tires... They ride super rough. But they get many more miles and are much more resistant to punctures... The last set of 6 ply tires I ran I had to plug 3 times.

ditto on the 3 plugs with the 6 ply! If your going off road at all and live in an area with briers the 6ply are just not going to hold up.
fz1rider
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD 4x4 extra cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zitjos99 [OP] » Jan 28 2013, 2:48am

the only offroading i do is gravel and dirt roads nothing to serious
Original Poster
zitjos99
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jan 28 2013, 3:26am

Then you are fine. The OEM P-Metric radials are pretty durable for on-road and mild off-road use, and work fin for towing. I drive similar to you, and would not go to a 10 ply (e rated) tire due to the harshness of the ride. Don't go overboard if you don't need it.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Return to Wheels/Tires