jQuery not supported.

Do bigger tires lead to ABS problems ?

ABS sensor module

Do bigger tires lead to ABS problems ?

Postby paladin [OP] » Nov 03 2010, 3:13am

Hello everyone I ws just wondering if you put a bigger tire than factory recomended will it cause an ABS sensor module problem due to tire revolutions? I just bought a 2007 GMC Sierra (New body style) z71 4x4 and I ask this because I use to drive a GMC Canyon and I lifted the canyon 2in and put 32's and the sensors on my ABS went crazy and kept throwing faults. My GMC canyon was the z85 base suspension so the abs module didnt have a setting for 32 in tires.
Thanks to all in advance
Original Poster
paladin
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z71 4x4 New Style
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  ABS problems   abs problems   I think it needs bigger tires   Two Bigger Tires?   Looking for bigger tires   Bigger tires   BIGGER TIRES. SS WHEELS   How can i get better mileage with bigger tires?   bigger tires on a 2x4 4.3 v6   can clear one side with bigger tires but not other?   BIgger tires and re flashing computer   Reset Computer for Bigger Tires - Middle TN   Having a lead foot...   Service Stabilitrak, service traction control ABS problems 
Wheels/Tires Sponsor
TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
Special Offers for SilveradoSierra.com members.
Manufacturer's promotions available from TireRack.com

Re: Do bigger tires lead to ABS problems ?

Postby jepics » Nov 03 2010, 3:20am

Welcome to the site, and congrats on your NTY (new to you) 2007 GMC Sierra (New body style) z71 4x4.

Great question about the ABS - I am sure you'll get some feedback from others here who are running larger tires.

The way things are going, it is tougher to make any kind of changes without the friggin computer getting in the way.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Nov 03 2010, 3:10pm

I wouldn't see y it wouldn't..the abs should only be affected by braking capabilities and not revolutions..i don't know..ive seen plenty of people on here with lifts and bigger tires and never heard a complaint so u should be ok..and if not...electrical tape and u will never see it lol
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby farside1 » Nov 04 2010, 2:52am

Never heard of that issue come up with a lift being put on a truck. usually people just have problems with the lift itself and not the tires or abs, but i guess there's a first time for everything. :mrgreen: Plus I upgraded to 20" from the 18" that game with the truck and the dealer service department didn't say anything about possible abs issues and i never got a code or waring light.
Last edited by farside1 on Nov 04 2010, 3:07am, edited 1 time in total.
farside1
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Nov 04 2010, 2:58am

The way I understand it, is that ABS sensors are not measuring tire rotations. They are measuring the rotational differences between the tires. If you have the same size tires on all four corners, you should be fine.

I changed tire sizes on my 2004 Colorado, and recently on my 2008 Acadia. No issues.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Return to Wheels/Tires