Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

load range E on half ton

6K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Dosh 
#1 ·
How do they handle? Do they ride a lot worse? I want bfg all terrains and they only n ade them in load range E. Will Tom's be screwed up?

#2 ·
If you keep the air pressures down on OEM stock air pressures there is not a lot of difference. They can take a lot more air and load, but unless you are hauling heavy, keep the air pressure down. Then air up when you need it.

#3 ·
Exactly what he ^^^ said. I have run two different sets of 10 ply (LR E) tires on my 98 and they are great. Slightly rougher than the lesser ply tires but not bad at all. Run 35 psi in them empty and juice em up if you hook onto something bigger. Even so, most of the time I just leave them at around 35. I say go for it.

#5 ·
I've got Michelin MS2's E load range and I love them!
(245/70/17)
I keep mine aired at 48psi front and 45psi rear.
The ride is a bit firmer, but not much.
Handles fantastic and the tires are wearing completely even after a year this month. (Only about 10k miles though)

#7 ·
I run 295/65/18 duratras load E. I keep them aired between 45-50 PSI. They do ride a little rough but when i ran em at 35PSI the truck felt like it floated all over the road. I prefer feeling like truck is handling well so i sacrificed a little ride quality.

#10 ·
And therein lies the rub. I wish the auto and light truck tire versions, the OEM would provide recommended air pressures charts based on loading and tire position. They provide reams of this stuff for the commercial truck market. it would not be that difficult to have a link on their website, corresponding to the tire in question, that would show recommended pressures corresponding to loading. They did the R&D on the tires, they made them, and they know best what pressures should be run for loading, handling, tire wear, and safety.

#11 ·
Installed load range E in December. I tow my TT a lot, but when just commuting I run 60 in front and 50 in rear. The ride is a tad rougher but I am OK with that. My tire shop manager and I ran several pressures and did the chalk test with each. The OEM tires made me uneasy when towing, especially with three grandkids in the back seat. Just my $.02. Good luck

#13 ·
I run 55 in the front and 50 in the back. Hooked up to the travel trailer I run 65 all around and 65 front and 70 in the back if I add my quad to the towing situation, 10,000 miles installed the new tires, currently at 30,000 miles, runs smooth and even tread wear. Tires are hankook dynapro ATM 265/70/R17' 10 ply.

#18 ·
I went in the opposite direction and got C loaded tires. I really don't load much in my truck, and I only tow a 12' open utility trailer. 99.9% of the time my bed is empty. On my older trucks I used to get E loaded tires, but did not like the way the ride was or how the back-end would hop over bumps. Being older and with a bad back, I like to have as much ride comfort as possible. Also the savings between the C and E was pretty significant, so I saved a couple hundred bucks. Just ask how you are going to use your truck and go from there.

#19 ·
I also failed to include raising the rear pressure to 70 psi when towing. The TPM has always responded to the changes with no alerts. Re Red Green, the only load range C tires I found were $117 higher for the four than the D tires I purchased. I purchased Firestone Transforce AT's 265/70/17 after recommendations from 4 hunting pals who have them. Had Michelin C tires on the truck I trade for this 2013 with 83,000+ and still decent tread left. Ran 50 psi at all times with them. I am interested in the air bag lift Richcory has, possibly the part# and vendor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.