Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Toyo Open Country M/T

• Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

New Tire Opinions

960 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pickardjw 
#1 ·
I've done just about as much research as I can stand. Now I want some outside opinions on what I should get and how big I should go. And as for the latter, yes I have read the How-To article and researched and all that, I'm essentially just looking for opinions. Post pics of your tires if you feel up for it. My truck is stock, no lift/level, 18'' stock Z71 rims. Also, size recommendations are also appreciated. I know about how big I can go, I just can't wrap my head around all of it to make a 100% positive decision. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Not enough info on what your intentions are to opine as to which tires you should get. Do you plan at least a 2" front level kit? If not then stay close to 32" circular diameter and don't go much wider than 285 mm or you'll encounter some light rubbing issues. If you get the tires first and decide later on a level kit you may be disappointed that you didn't go to 33's for instance and a tad wider. It's obvious from your choices that you are looking for a meatier and more aggressive tread than stock. Give some input as to your specific intentions and it will better aid the feedback you seek.

#5 ·
I have the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO LT305/70R16's and have never had any problems with them.... if you're doing mostly highway driving I'd recommend them over the Mud Terrain just for the longer life, but if you're wanting that extra meaty look I guess I few less years out of them are worth it. I do quite a bit of off-road driving (hunting, getting to our cabin, mudding), but I also put on 160miles interstate driving everyday for work and they've held up very well!

Guess that doesn't help much since that wasn't one of your choices. . . .

#6 ·
If you are wanting to go with the sizes that yoy listed... you WILL need a leveling kit prior to installing the new tires!!! I bought my truck used & it came with 275 65 18s on +20mm aftermarket wheels... and I could barely slide my fingers between the tire & the fenderwell at stock height...

you can get a 2-2.5" level for $50-100... so I highly suggest having that done prior to purchasing $1000-1500 tires!!!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree with the above. If you want to go bigger, you should really get a leveling kit first. They are cheap and can be installed in the driveway in about a hour.

Here is mine with BFG ATs 285-65-R18. I just got them Monday and I love them. They ride WAY better than the stock ones did. Much smoother and its an E Rated tire, which I love for the stiffer side wall. I have been the MT route before and I just do too much street driving and not enough off road to justify the less mileage. I expect to get 60k out of these, unless I do something to mess them up. I have a 70+ mile round trip to work everyday, so I need something that's going to last.

I know this tire isn't on your list, but since your asking for opinions this is mine. I also have a thread in the Wheel/Tire Section that you can check out about these. It was just posted this week so should be easy to find.
IMAG0198.jpg

Attachments

#9 ·
I have had the bf a/t tires and they are a great tire, but kind of pricey, $1000+. So right now I have the toyo open country a/t that I picked up for about $650. I love them too, great for highway and also great for light off road driving. Very nice quiet smooth riding tire. So u would recommend either of these depending on what you are wanting to spend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.