jQuery not supported.

New Tires for 2500HD Crew 4X4

Looking for Advice

New Tires for 2500HD Crew 4X4

Postby john_in_kzoo [OP] » Dec 31 2013, 8:40pm

I've got a 2011 2500HD Crew 4x4. The truck came with 247/75R15 Firestone Transforce HT tires on it, but it's getting to be time to replace them...probably not immediately but within the next year certainly. Overall I've been happy with them...ride is smooth and quiet, and I've had no problems in wet weather or light/moderate snow (I live in Michigan). The truck gets used to pull my 28' travel trailer, and it gets used to get me and my stuff up north to our cabin, in addition to normal everyday use. Our cabin is a mile plus down a pretty rough easement, and this is the only place I've had an issue...in deep snow these tires don't seem the best. I'm not interested in putting serious off-road tires on the truck, since most of my driving is around town/highway and I don't want to make a serious impact on either my ride or my mileage. What I'd like to know is whether there are tires, either all season or all terrain, that will give me better performance in the snow without sacrificing too much of my ride and mileage.

I've been looking at the Transforce AT, the Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, the Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO, and the Goodyear Wrangler Armortrac, Duratrac, SR-A, and All-Terrain Adventure. Any comments on these, or other options...or am I just asking too much from this sort of tire?

Thanks for your help/comments.

John
Original Poster
john_in_kzoo
Topics: 2
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0L V8 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: New Tires for 2500HD Crew 4X4

Postby silverado9306 » Jan 01 2014, 5:31pm

I've had very good experiences with the BFG A/T's on my old F-250, rode smooth, wore nicely and went everywhere I needed to go in mud, snow and everything else. A lot of members on here are very fond of the Duratracs as well. These two tires would get my vote.
silverado9306
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby triton2286 » Jan 01 2014, 5:41pm

I have also heard good things about the duractacs from everyone on here and they may be my next tire.

Use the search feature and you will find a lot of threads discussing tires, especially winter ones the past few weeks.

Also check out our tire database and contribute if you would like to.
Tire Review - Submission and Results

And welcome!
TRITON2286's 2003 HD Silverado

2003 2500HD CCSB - Vortec 8100
triton2286
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 2500HD - 8.1L Vortec
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby StarsnBars » Jan 01 2014, 5:54pm

Hey John, I run the Duratracs on my 2012 -2500hd. With only about 10,000 miles on them I can't give a good review on longevity. The wear seems good for a heavy truck and am very happy with there looks, price, and wear. The key with these tires are air pressure. You have to keep them aired up on top side of there specs. The sidewalls are thinner than other brands, but aired up on the high side, have no issues with steering, heavy towing, etc.
Hope this helps on your search,,
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 239
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Return to Wheels/Tires