Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Off road tires on stock rims

10K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Kanaloa 
#1 ·
hello everyone,

I just got my 2014 GMC Sierra SLE with Z71 off-road package and I'm looking to put some good off-road tires on my stock 18 rims but also aren't to bad on on-road driving either. I will be in the near future be putting a Rough Country 2" leveling kit to get rid of that factory stance.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for what kind of tires they prefer and post a picture of their truck just as a reference?

Thanks for all the input!

This is what my truck looks like

I would like something along the lines of one of the users truck on here. (credit to cmseabee)

#2 ·
You'll get so many different answers to this question... You probably want an All Terrain(A/T) tire, looks good and aggressive, can handle going off pavement, but is still good on the road. You could go M/T for mud, but those are a lot louder and don't handle as well on pavement.

I'm a BFG fan, just always good luck with them.. But Nitto Trail Grapplers, Goodyear Duratracs, Toyo O/C..just to name a few of the more popular brands..

I run a 33", technically a 32.8" tire on my stock 17's, 285/70/17. I believe for your 18" wheel, you would look for a 285/65/18. That's about the biggest you'll fit without a full lift or some serious trimming.

Here is what I drive...

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
i second the good year duratracs. theyve gotten me into... and out of almost eveytihing ive put them thru. they are also rated for extreme winter conditions and are not too loud on pavement.

BFG mud terrains and A/ts are also highly reccomended tires. i would wait to buy a new set until after you put the leveling kit on. the stock tires just dont look right after the kid is added.

20140702_183542.jpg

33" duratracs on 17" rims

my truck.png

begin and after 2.5" leveling kit with 3" rear blocks

20140331_155259.jpg

this is the only time ive gotten stuck with the duratracs... drove her into a swamp and burried to the rockers. left her in the woods for 3 days and 2 nights

IMG_20140706_211631.jpg

Attachments

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I LOVE my Pro Comp Xtreme AT's. They didn't cost me an arm and a leg, they have very little road noise, I have NEVER gotten stuck, are great in rainy conditions, and are still appealing.

Stock on the day I bought her.
1072407_10201492408209134_325324512_o.jpg

Pro Comp Pro Runner adjustable shocks and 285/70/R17 installed.
10012735_10203328676194686_1249399517_o.jpg

Attachments

#11 ·
I love my BFG KM2s. They are good anywhere - the road (might be little too noisy for some people), dirt, mud, snow, ice. They definitely have an aggressive look. They also might be a bit too pricey for some people. I have found them online in 285/75R16 for about $250 each on average. I got mine already mounted on my MotoMetal rims on Craigslist. Love the look and love the way they handle. I have the RC 2" leveling kit, but keep in mind I also have the NBS, so the size of the tire I can fit might be different from yours. My rims are 16x8 with a 0 offset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.