Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Paint Help

616 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Dmanj 
#1 ·
So Im trading my wheels again. I dont like the ones i have now but didnt want stock wheels any more. Not big on the ones im trading because their chrome. Want to plasti dip them all white. I made a post a few days ago about how it didnt hold up well. A few people telling me to use a clear coat over it, some saying use a colored paint over it, and some saying use the glossifier. I want it to be as durrable as possible, and want it to have the same gloss look as the paint on my truck.

#3 ·
The plastidip glossifier is not very glossy, more of a semi gloss. Defintely not flat, but not mirror gloss either. I'd agree that powdercoating is the best method, but it is fairly expensive.

Are you thinking of painting the chrome wheels, or the stock you have sitting around? Whichever you're working with, I'd find out what metal they are, and what paint sticks to that metal best. You may have a couple of extra steps to prepare the surface, but it would be worth it to do it right. A final few coats of an acrylic will seal it in pretty well, and leave a shiny finish. Having two sets of wheels is nice, as you can spread the work out, and have better, longer curing times to ensure a solid final product. I usually cure a bit longer than reccomended.

#4 ·
I only have 1 set of wheels. I cant be without my wheels forthe time it takes to powder coat. Its really not that exspensice to have your rims have a whole new look, but my wife wouldnt be happy with that lol. I will try to find out what metal it is and go from there. I like that plasti dip is removable if need be though

#5 ·
If you go with the Plastidip, remember more coats is easier to remove becasue it is thicker and easier to peel off. You will have to use a toothpick or something similar to get under the Plastidip, then slowly peel it away. If you spray it with an acrylic, it will be a little more difficult to remove, which for the long-term is a good thing.

#7 ·
I used some leftover lens tint, in a test piece I had lying around. It looked alright, so I went ahead and did the wheel caps only. It's lasted just as long as the rest of the plastidip, and I don't seem to notice what sticks to it.. But I don't really look too often. Weather permitting, I wash it every week, so they generally clean..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.