Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Questions about wheel width and backspacing

755 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kennyz 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 Silverado stepside 4x4. It has on it what appear to be American Racing wheels. Nowhere on the wheel itself does it say so but the center caps do. Now my questions are as follows; first off, the wheel measures an actual
9 3/4" wide from lip to lip yet on the back of the spoke is cast 16x8JJ. Backspacing is 4 1/2" and it measures 4 1/4" from the mounting surface out to the front lip. Is this wheel an 8" or a 10" wheel and do you think I will be able to fit 285/75R16s on the truck which has an RC level kit??

PS. On two of the other spokes are cast FA139 and ES927

#2 ·
If it's stamped with 16x8, then I would go with it being 16x8. It won't be a 10" wheel. Wheels are usually measure around an inch wider that the size they are. My 17x8's measure to me 9" wide. I have seen some wheels measure more than an inch over what they are supposed to be. Do you have any pictures? You can always get in touch with the company and see what they say.

#3 ·
After taking some more measurements I come up with a 8 3/4" wide wheel with 4 1/2" backspacing, 4 1/4" to front lip, which translates to 9.525mm of offset.(Positive, I think as there is more inside the wheelwell than out). What are the chances of a 285/75R16 fitting without rubbing, especially the rear outer lip of the front fender?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.