Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Should I keep my spare tire?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  starspangled6.0 
#1 ·
I had to pull my spare a couple of weeks ago to work on the exhaust, and never got around to putting it back up. I was chatting with another truck guy around here, and he said I should leave it off. He said because I have a larger than stock tire size mounted, I can't use the smaller tire as a spare. It wouldn't hit the ground correctly, and it wouldn't be spinning as fast as the others, which could make driving unsafe. Therefore leaving the spare tire off, would save me from carrying around the extra weight of an unusable piece of equipment.

Any opinions? I have never touched the spare in over 5 years, except for moving it to work on something else, and only twice to do so... If leaving it off could save me anything, I'll do it.. It just sits next to my shed right now, collecting dirt, dust, and cobwebs..

#2 ·
I would slap it back under there. That spare will work fine for a short time , till you get the flat fixed with the bigger tires. Just dont use it as a permanate fix. If you dont commute to far and are close to home for the most part, and dont mind fetching your spare if you do get a flat, then let it sit outback. One other thing , if your in a snow,ice climate, that extra rear weight percentage over the axle will help you get better traction.

#3 ·
I don't really buy that argument about the smaller tire being a bad thing, as far as short-term use goes (like putting it on, and then driving to a tire shop). Cars do it all the time, with their space-saving spares. I'd put it back on if I were you... it's impossible to predict when you'll need it. Unless you're being followed by a tow truck, a flat tire can be a royal pain in the rear to deal with!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.