Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Spare Tire

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Copperhead 
#1 ·
I finally got around to dropping the spare on the 2013 Crew I bought over Memorial Day. That makes a little over 3 months. I had to take a pressure washer to the the spare to get all the dirt, gravel, etc off of it. Could not even imagine that thing riding under there thru the winter. I never did like a spare under the bed collecting all the crap the wheels throw at it. Especially since I live down a gravel road. So, the spare is now riding in the bed where it belongs with a new denim tire cover over it to protect from UV. As a side benefit, I don't have to worry that the spare tire cable thing under there will bind up or not lower the wheel when I really need it. It can now die a corrosion and choked up with dirt death in peace, as I will never again use it as long as I own the pickup.

#3 ·
Had a problem with other vehicles. Was not going to wait until I needed it on a cold dark night on a rural road to find out I could not get the key lock out to be able to lower the wheel and then find out the mechanism is bound up and the wheel won't lower, and to add insult to injury, a pile of frozen mud, gravel, and ice makes it so the wheel will not mount on the hub properly. Basically, the whole spare tire storage design thing is not a good match when you live on rural gravel roads in the northern tier of the U.S. Not bad, I suppose, for other folks. Actually, having that spare out of there makes it a lot easier to do anything with the rear suspension, change rear end gear lube, etc.

#5 ·
I take mine down every spring. Re-lube the cable and clean it all up. Also, check the air pressure in the tire. So far so good, but I know a lot of people have issues with them, when they need it most!

#7 ·
Now that is good advice for those that keep that spare up under there! If one is going to keep it there, then by all means lower it once in a while and clean everything up and lube that carrier! I'll bet the stories are many, regarding hassles with under belly spare tires, at emergency roadside companies that come out and try to change the flat for the woman and kids along side the interstate. Wouldn't surprise me that many of the latest swear words were initiated at these roadside events.

#10 ·
That is the beauty of living a rural, family farm type of are of country... I can leave my spare in the bed without securing it to anything and the risk of having it swiped is virtually nil. I have left spares in the bed of pickups since my first '66 pickup back in the early 70's, plus growing up with the folks always leaving the spare in the bed, and I have not known of anyone in my area that has had a spare swiped. I suppose, if one travels to a more unsavory area, that securing it might be a wise idea.

#12 ·
Securing a spare that is in the bed of the truck has other advantages....like not having it fly out on the road (sudden stops or avoidance maneuvers), or during some off-roading.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
EKinMN said:
Securing a spare that is in the bed of the truck has other advantages....like not having it fly out on the road (sudden stops or avoidance maneuvers), or during some off-roading.
Well, there could be some truth to that, but I have never had a spare tire come out (unless the tailgate was down) in several decades of running over hilly farm ground in mud that would make the off road crowd feel good about, going over hillside terraces that could make a lot of folk's rear end pucker up to the extent that you would have trouble getting a greased BB up there. Now, I have to admit that the spare came out of the bed when my Dad laid his '94 pickup over on it's side when he tried to cross a washout. I have been fortunate in that I have never put the greasy side up to face the sunshine. If that occurred, then probably whether the spare stayed in the bed or not is the least of my worries. It may have slid around in the bed doing something ridiculous, but has never came out. And that is one nice thing about the Herculiner I have applied to my bed... the spare and the large wheel well to wheel well storage/tool box in there doesn't budge a bit. At least hasn't budged yet, but I am sure that some situation will crop up that causes them to move a little.

And if I get in this situation, I doubt whether the spare stayed in place or not will be on the forefront of my mind....

Bad Parking.jpg

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.