Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

take off spare tire with 35's?

13K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  semicrazy 
#1 ·
When you get a lift and bigger tires do yall take off the stock spare tire? I have 35's and I don't think I can use the stock tire as a spare if needed and figured taking it off would help take some weight off since I haven't re geared

#2 ·
So what do you do when you have a flat?
AAA doesn't keep 35" tires in stock to bring out to you when you get a flat and its a lot harder to find a flat bed tow truck (especially in the houston area) than a regular one to tow you away.
Yes it would help the weight ( 50lbs? ) but a 31" spare tire will get you home or to the tire shop with no problem.
It's not worth the hassle to me.

BTW a 33" tire will fit in the carrier.

#5 ·
It looks stupid, but I'm so glad I kept mine when I had a busted branch stab through a sidewall when on a camping trip. Keep it! Limped 7 miles of mountain trail back to town, then another 5 miles to the tire shop.

Attachments

#6 ·
I would find a way to keep the tire in the bed..if your stuck or something and cant get to the spare for some reason, youll be wishing it was in the bed.... then again if you need to change to the spare, you will need something other then the screw jack that GM gives you.. like a Hi-Lift jack.

also IMO if you have an issue carrying a spare due to weight (and im all for lightening the load), then you are: A) shooting yourself in the foot and will need that tire the next time you go out and B) You should get more power or carrying capacity if a spare tire is just too much weight.....there are alot of other things you can remove to get better weight savings

#10 ·
Also something to keep in mind. Using a stock tire on one side to get you home may work.. but it devestates your axles; especially your spider gears.. also your braking and steering characteristics. It could also engage your abs (because it senses such a differents in rotational speed).

Extreme example: I would not use a 31" spare when the rest are 38's..things will surely self destruct...

Please use the proper spare size for your application.. i understand it requires 1 extra rim and tire..but it may be cheaper then replacing a differential or transfercase

#12 ·
I think there is something out there to mount it to a gooseneck hitch if i'm not mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.