Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Wheel Spacers Question

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  wildchevy 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004 chevy 1400 4x4, 6in suspension lift and 3in body lift. I have 35/12.50/r18.

Looking to get some spacers as my truck as like no stance! Will I run into many problems with spacers? The front tires appear to be sticking out a little more so I was thinking 1 inch in the front and 2 inches in the back. Or should I just do 2 inches front and back because I want to see results! Comments / ideas welcome! Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would just do the rear spacers. Front looks good to me. And the studs on the front are almost 1 3/4" long so you would have to cut almost half of them off to run a 1" spacer.

#7 ·
I know its not a silverado.. but this is why I don't think spacers are a good idea.. I know a lot of people run them, and don't have problems. But ive heard too many horror stories and seen too many atvs and sxs come in the shop like this one for me to feel comfortable at 75mph on the interstate..*not my side by side*

Attachments

#8 ·
Rios09SLE said:
I just have one comment pertaining to wheel spacers. I have worked on farms and John Deere tractors where we've added huge spacers to them. I just want to know why so many people are against them. I'm thinking bout getting some myself from rough country. But I've added a pic of said spacer.
Those are some crazy spacers!!

I'm not a proponent of wheel spacers, I'm a firm believer that if you want to move your wheels in or out then the use of appropriately offset rims is the way to go. Where the farm equipment shown is moving slowly and therefore the wheels are rotating slowly, your truck wheels are rotating much more quickly and are subject to forces the slow moving farm equipment will never see.

My thoughts...nice ride by the way!

Rick.

#9 ·
1-2 inch wheel spacers for the rear and call it a day. Your wheels stick out just right imo. But if you really want it to stick out more read the thread on wheel spacers and get the right kind. They're more expensive, but it's a lot safer. Keep in mind with 2 inch wheel spacers you're going to wear out your suspension components more often. Ball joints, bearings (these will wear the most), and your wheel bearings might also take some extra stress. If you can, get 1 inch front and 2 inch rear spacers, should make it even. Always a good idea to measure first though.

Nice truck, by the way.

#10 ·
GeeMC said:
Rios09SLE said:
I just have one comment pertaining to wheel spacers. I have worked on farms and John Deere tractors where we've added huge spacers to them. I just want to know why so many people are against them. I'm thinking bout getting some myself from rough country. But I've added a pic of said spacer.
Those are some crazy spacers!!

I'm not a proponent of wheel spacers, I'm a firm believer that if you want to move your wheels in or out then the use of appropriately offset rims is the way to go. Where the farm equipment shown is moving slowly and therefore the wheels are rotating slowly, your truck wheels are rotating much more quickly and are subject to forces the slow moving farm equipment will never see.

My thoughts...nice ride by the way!

Rick.
Yes the equipment might run slower but just think of the 15k plus pounds it's pulling and the deep ruts and holes of the field.

#11 ·
I've got 2" spacers all around on my truck and never had a problem with them. Just make sure to use red loctite on the hub studs when installing the spacers and keep the wheel lug nuts torqued correctly. Find hub-centric ones if you can as that will keep the wheels riding and aligned the way they were designed to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.