jQuery not supported.

Don't Quote the post directly above your reply

Re: Don't Quote the post directly above your reply

Postby ferraiolo1 » Nov 18 2020, 1:30pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:
vpasla1 wrote:Exactly, they can always edit their post afterwards as well, which may not show the relevancy of our reply if it wasn't quoted.
It gets annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See how it clogged up threads

SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Nov 18 2020, 1:32pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:
ferraiolo1 wrote:[quote="vpasla1"]Exactly, they can always edit their post afterwards as well, which may not show the relevancy of our reply if it wasn't quoted.
It gets annoying

See how it clogged up threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]This is common forum etiquette. Most forums just don’t make it a rule as most people get it. But there was a rash of people doing it and clogging up threads with full quotes and pictures constantly.

Sure taking a sentence from a quote above you isn’t bad. But most people don’t take the time to edit it down.

SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby adam86107 » Nov 18 2020, 1:51pm

I don't feel like that clogged up the thread at all. I've been visiting forums since 96' and this is the only forum I've came across with this rule

Edit: I'll agree that if everyone keeps quoting each other and have quotes nested in quotes, then yes, it would get clogged up. But it's never gets that bad.
adam86107
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 78
Year: 2005
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Don't Quote the post directly above your reply

Postby ferraiolo1 » Nov 18 2020, 1:57pm

Because there weren’t a lot of pictures and other crap in it. And years ago, it really did get that bad. There were a few guys who constantly did it.

I’m a mod on two other forums, it was never made a rule there because it wasn’t needed, because people didn’t do it.

ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Nov 18 2020, 2:44pm

Chevrolado wrote:Interesting. Never heard that as a hard rule before (although I typically don't direct quote when fast response to someone right above me)
I do have a question though as I normally don't unless the page is long. It's always weird if you reply back to someone (without quoting) and then your reply moves on to a new page. Then what? Then someone viewing that new page then may read it and then have to go back a page just to reference what the person is talking about. Just a thought.

Each thread only has 10 replies before moving to the next page, So if you knew that your reply would be #11 then yes quoting the post above would be helpful, IMO.

See the post count in the top right where you can go back to page one on this thread. This post should be #15
137,000 as of 11/1/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 57
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Chevrolado » Nov 18 2020, 4:53pm

I think that's a setting preference isn't it? I thought you can have more posts on a page if you prefer it that way. Maybe that was on another forum I could do that..

Idk, oh well. No sense in beating this dead horse.. hah. :)

Thanks for the announcement Mods. Cheers yall
Chevrolado
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users
Previous

Return to Announcements

Common search terms

using sent tapatalk reply post directly above right since make back thanks think

It is currently Nov 25 2020, 8:25am

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
Announcements Forum
AnnouncementsImportant announcements that everyone should take a moment to read. Site news, updates, and the latest SilveradoSierra.com happenings.
To create a new topic in Announcements, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds