jQuery not supported.

How to share photos at SilveradoSierra.com

Instructions on how to post pictures on the forums

How to share photos at SilveradoSierra.com

Postby SilveradoSierra.com [OP] » Feb 22 2010, 10:29pm

How to share photos with the community

So you've joined the site, taken a look around, and decided that you'd like to post some photos of your truck for the world to see? This article will explain how to do just that and will answer all the questions you have on how to do so.

First off, there are several different ways to post pictures.

• Upload Attachment method
    Upload using the Upload Attachment tab on the page where you create a post.
    upload_attachment.gif
    upload_attachment.gif (51.35 KiB) Viewed 3362 times

Click the Browse button to locate an image on your computer to upload to the site.
    upload_attachment_browse.gif
    upload_attachment_browse.gif (22.68 KiB) Viewed 3362 times

Once you've located the image you want to share, click Add the File. This will attach the photo you chose to the topic being created.
  • IMG tag bbcode method
    Link to an image on any site using the "img" bbcode tags placed around the URL of the image you wish to display.
    Code: Select all
    [img]http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif[/img]

While this may be the easiest method for some, this is not always the best choice. The reason is, this method is considered hotlinking and can have many undesirable consequences. Most often when the img tag is used to display a photo hosted on a photo hosting site like photobucket, imageshack, flikr, picasa, etc. and the image is deleted off the server in the future (knowingly or unknowingly) your post here will be left blank usually with a dreaded "Red [X]"--->Image
    Another adverse result is the so-called "switcheroo". If you've linked to an image on someone's server, there is nothing to prevent them from changing the image that you linked to. This can have humorous results. Since most sites, forums, etc. have strict policies about offensive images, it wouldn't take much for an aggravated webmaster you've been stealing bandwidth from to shut you down completely with an unwanted "switcheroo". To be safe, you may want to consider using the Upload Attachment feature of the forums or uploading photos to the Gallery instead.
  • Personal Photo Album method :arrow: (preferred method)
    Upload photos to your personal album in the Gallery. Each registered member here is entitled to his/her own personal photo album where all your photos can be stored.
    create_personal_album.gif
    create_personal_album.gif (25.56 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

The quickest and easiest way to access your personal album is the "Manage" link in the User Menu which is located on the right side column of any page on the site. Keep in mind that you must be logged-in for the User Menu to be visible.
    Alternatively, you can access the page via the User Control Panel > Gallery tab > Manage personal album.

The Personal Album Method is the "preferred" method because when you upload photos to your Gallery they all reside in once place organized and categorized to your liking. The other benefit to using this method is that you can still use the photos from your Personal Album to post in any post that you make. This is done by using the "gallery" bbcode tag. Example:
    [gallery]image_id[/gallery]

Where "image_id" is the actual number of the image you wish to post. For instance, if you wish to post the 2010-silverado-3500-spacescene-1024x768 Wallaper, you would use:
    [gallery]8[/gallery]

Resulting in...

We hope this article has been informative and helps our members share photos successfully and with minimal effort. If you have any questions or have trouble feel free to reply to this topic or contact a team member.
Original Poster
SilveradoSierra.com
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 31
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How to share photos at SilveradoSierra.com

Postby cobra19946 » Apr 03 2010, 6:43pm

as most of you have read, i am not very computer literate. so can someone please tell me, is there a maximum size picture you can add? i have tried a few times to add pics of my truck and it took so long, i just cancelled the download.
cobra19946
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby koolz71 » Apr 03 2010, 7:42pm

what i normally do is this, instead of using of the site bandwith on pictures, i just use a photosharing site like, photobucket, or webshots, flickr, or even facebook is another. I then just copy and paste the URL and then i can let someone else eat up the bandwidth. you may try that and see what happens
koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 95
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Austin » Apr 04 2010, 4:07am

Try doing one photo at a time. It can take longer with larger photos but what I've observed is that it does actually eventually finish. Just click upload and go grab a beer out of the fridge and kick back.
Founder and creator of SilveradoSierra.com
chevy astro vans, chevy truck forums
<?=while ( try() != $success ){ again(); echo "learn and earn"; }?>
Austin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 SLE
Group Membership:
Supporters
Administrators
Registered users

Postby cobra19946 » Apr 04 2010, 11:44am

thanks for the help, i will try that today! hope my truck eventually looks as good as some of your trucks! still a work in grogress.
cobra19946
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 4
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby camfire87 » Mar 14 2012, 6:00am

Every time I try to upload a photo I get "400 Bad Request : Your browser sent a request this server could not understand"

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? ...oh and my photo is well within the maximum size and resolution to be uploaded
camfire87
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3l 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hevyrockerdk » Mar 15 2012, 2:07pm

Try a different browser. I'm not really much more help than that, though. No problems with Google Chrome, though!
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...then it's fun and games you can't see anymore."
---James Hetfield
hevyrockerdk
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 LS 5.3L V8 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ryanh11 » Jul 05 2012, 1:20am

this tutorial says to put the number of the image in between the two codes....i only have one photo would that mean i have to put a "1" there? if not then what number are you talking about...i put a 1 and somebody elses photo showed up!!
ryanh11
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 Crew Cab LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jul 05 2012, 4:23am

It is the BBCode. Yours is 9853. Like this:
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, 2.5" level, 1" rear block, 305/55R20 G2's on 20" XD Grenade wheels, soft toneau, and 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 147
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby ryanh11 » Jul 05 2012, 12:04pm

ive figured it out by just pressingthe insert image photo into post button....but just for my knowledge can you tell me how or where you got that number?
ryanh11
Topics: 2
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 Crew Cab LT
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Announcements

Common search terms

help using still photos silveradosierra share since first trucks side done used make back thanks work right sent looks

It is currently Nov 13 2019, 4:32pm

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
Announcements Forum
AnnouncementsImportant announcements that everyone should take a moment to read. Site news, updates, and the latest SilveradoSierra.com happenings.
To create a new topic in Announcements, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds