jQuery not supported.

02 Silverado 1500 parking brake problems- please help!

parking brake cables replaced, adjusted, will not hold truck

02 Silverado 1500 parking brake problems- please help!

Postby mccula [OP] » May 27 2021, 1:17pm

Hi, I just bought an 02 silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 and it failed state inspection due to an inop parking brake. I replaced the intermediate and both right and left rear cables, the cable that goes from the pedal to the adjuster that splits to the two rear cables was fine.
I then adjusted both wheel cylinder things after cleaning and re-lubricating them until the rotors went on, but were snug. I then tested the truck while it was up in the air on stands, and couldn't move the wheels by hand. The parking brake would go all the way down with ease though.

I then tried to use the parking brake on the truck with it in gear. I would not hold.

I attempted to replace the shoes on both sides, however there was not much more material on the new shoes than there was on the old ones. Interestingly, with the adjuster turned as far in as they would go, I could not get the rotors over the new shoes at all. I unhooked the cables completely, still nothing I tried would get them on, including pounding them with a dead blow, and threading on a nut to the stud to help push them on. One I got about halfway on using the nut on the stud trick, but the rotor wouldn't rotate at all. I removed these, cleaned the old shoes well, and replaced them figuring the new ones must have been out of spec. I once again re-adjusted the wheel cylinder things, put the truck back on the ground, and still had no improvement.

The inspector still will not pass the truck. I'm getting to be at my whit's end. There is no adjuster on the pedal itself that I can see. I have turned the actual intermediate cable adjuster as far as it will go. I don't want to buy new rotors just for a chance that they may be the problem only to find out it's not. I will do it if necessary though.
Original Poster
mccula
Topics: 2
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 02 Silverado 1500 parking brake problems- please help!

Postby fattrucker » May 30 2021, 5:32pm

Try backing the cable adjuster nut off until the cables are slack, then adjust the parking brake shoes. Make sure the parking brake pedal is all the way up before re adjusting the cable. Then recheck the pedal travel after you get them re adjusted, If it goes to the floor, you may have a bad pedal assembly. But that's just a guess. Some pedal assemblies have a ratchet mechanism that is spring loaded to keep the cables adjusted, if you have one of those and the ratchet or spring is faulty, it won't apply enough pressure to hold the vehicle. But I don't remember what system they used in '02
fattrucker
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » May 31 2021, 1:03am

It seems almost impossible that you unhooked the parking brake cables completely and then could not get the rear rotors/drums on. This is telling me you've got wrong parts somewhere.

However, my first question is: do you have drum or disc in the rear? You mention "wheel cylinders" and that's only on drum brakes, but then you mention "rotors" and that's disc brakes..........
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » May 31 2021, 1:17am

If his 02 Silverado is like the 02 Sierra I had, the rears were disc brakes with drum brakes for the parking brake. The rotors looked like a tophat with the drum section on the back.
Same thing with my 15 Sierra

17x9 +12 Vision Manic* BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab 2" level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* Morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 LED + XB LED fogs* E2 catch can
goofy driver

Pro Grade or nothin'
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » May 31 2021, 7:21pm

Yes, yes, I understand all that ^^^^^ perfectly. You are describing DISC brake setup, which I have. My truck has 4-wheel DISC brakes. But there are no "wheel cylinders" on DISC brakes, and OP mentioned "wheel cylinders", which are only found on drum brakes.........
Chevy-SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » May 31 2021, 10:38pm

Ahh ok I missed the wheel cylinder part. Yes, they should not have wheel cylinders. I am betting he was referring to the adjuster.

17x9 +12 Vision Manic* BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab 2" level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* Morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 LED + XB LED fogs* E2 catch can
goofy driver

Pro Grade or nothin'
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 01 2021, 12:23am

Haha, yes, I too was gonna 'assume' he was talking about the adjuster.... but I swear, every time I assume something, it comes back to bite me in the butt........ :o

Happy Memorial Day BTW, thank you for your service!
Chevy-SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adriver » Jun 01 2021, 2:17am

I recently redid my brakes, and had the same problem when using a new parking brake shoe on the driver's side. (In hindsight, I should have swapped em to the other side, to see if it was the rotor, but I was too lazy to take the one side that was done back apart). I was told to dremel the inside of the rotor a little if I wanted them to fit. I ended up using one new shoe and reusing the old one that looked like it had nearly all the material. After 250K miles, In hindsight, I still probably had 70% of the pads left, and they only needed adjustment.

That intermediate cable adjuster nut is supposed to be 31 IN lb. I would make sure that is set right, then work on the rears.

There is supposed to be a slight drag on the rear rotors to set that parking brake correctly. I swear, when I did mine, the first time it was incredibly stiff to set the brake pedal. After that it seemed to ease up, but still holds really well.

If you are still having trouble with it, my suggestion is to get the Service repair manual. I bought this on disc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163680690522?s ... 2749.l2649

Its about 10K pages of PDF. This is the factory service manual that's 5 books about 3" thick each. It has all the parts diagrams, diagnostic procedures, repair procedures, torque specs.... About a 1/3rd of it is the engines. There are 41 pages for the complete parking brake.
adriver
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: Reg cab 2wd 4.8 5spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jun 01 2021, 8:08pm

Thread has been cleaned-up to keep it on track for the OP. If you fellas want to have a (civilized) debate, do it via PM instead of hi-jacking someone's thread.
'13 4x4 LC9 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 22,000 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Jun 01 2021, 8:10pm

Thank you GBSierraSLE and thank you to Chevy-SS

goofy driver

Pro Grade or nothin'
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Return to Brakes