jQuery not supported.

04 chevy 1500 silverado abs board a pain the the A#s

04 chevy 1500 silverado abs board a pain the the A#s

Postby jamescbarrow [OP] » Nov 19 2017, 3:05am

hey all I have a o4 chevy Silverado 1500 ls, the abs light along with the parking brake light has intermittently coming on, along with it poping up saying service brake system, we have narrowed it down to the brake control module, on top the abs pump, seems to be a common issue with those trucks, my question is , with the pump being under the cab, I can get to 2 of the screws with a 1/4 inch socket, and a t15 torques bit, but the inner 2 I quiet do not have the room to get to them with the ratchet, can I take the bolts out the side the chassis, holding the bracket, and drop it down enough to get in there, with out kinking the brake lines.
Original Poster
jamescbarrow
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: lt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 04 chevy 1500 silverado abs board a pain the the A#s

Postby Walkers » Nov 19 2017, 3:27am

You can do that. I have used a small t15 drive head, the kind that go in a screwdriver, and use a 1/4" wrench (ratcheting works good) to get them off. Just dig into the torx pocket with a needle of some sort to dig out the dirt out first, then blow them with compressed air. Once the little torx screw heads strip then the whole abs unit has to come off to get them with vise grips. Don't ask me how I know.
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 65
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jamescbarrow [OP] » Nov 19 2017, 3:38am

yeah I was thinking just what you said, I am able to get to 2 with a 1/4 inch ratchet but the other 2 a absolute pain in the rear end
Original Poster
jamescbarrow
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Extra Info: lt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Kbrocksieck » Dec 15 2017, 10:41pm

Driving home today my abs light just randomly came on and started beeping at me. It would come on beep then go off and did that multiple times even without pressing the brake pedal. I looked under the truck and don’t see any leaks or anything. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks for your time.
Kbrocksieck
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rodknocker » Dec 16 2017, 5:16pm

Kbrocksieck it sounds like a wheel speed sensor especially since it went back out, you will have someone scan it to figure out which one, the wires usually break on them from moving while steering.
rodknocker
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 2500HD crew 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Kbrocksieck » Dec 16 2017, 5:24pm

There is a problem with scanning my truck. It won’t recognize a scanner. Replaced fuse and still won’t work not sure why. Also last night it quit and hasn’t done it since.
Kbrocksieck
Topics: 2
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Brakes