Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

1 Wheel a Little Hotter and More Dust After Brake Job

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  slade8200 
#1 Ā·
Just did my front pads & rotors. Used Powerstop Z23 Evolution Sport pads. Installation was fine. Caliper pins still nice and greased and smooth. Pads went into brackets nice and easy. However a few days later I noticed a bit more dust on the driver side and also the wheel is hotter after a drive. There's no pulling or squeaking so I'm not sure what's going on. I pulled everything apart again and it was OK.

Nothing to worry about?

#4 Ā·
Thanks for the replies. The calipers look great actually so I didn't consider replacing them, but maybe I need to. They say "pbr" on them... is that OEM?

I hear different things about bleeding this truck, scan tool needed, not possible the traditional way, etc. Is this true, or can I bleed it the old school way?

#5 Ā·
Does sound like a stuck, or slow pin...take them out and ensure full and free/easy movement, add some more lube, then re-install and see how they work. I have had no issues with my Z23 kit, which I also used their calipers, and little to nu brake dust.

No special tool needed for bleeding. I installed Russel speed bleeders, so it was a one-man job real easy...just a few brake pedal pumps and it was back to solid pedal.

And yes, "their" calipers are re-man'd OEM... I needed to replace mine and they are not much more than OEMs anyway. And they look good..lol

#7 Ā·
Bleeding is no issue... You can do it any which way you like, just keep the reservoir full...

Take it apart and try collapsing the piston again

You can also reinstall the caliper less the inside pad, and use a piece of wood thinner than the pad to try and get the piston out again.... Then push it back in to try and free it up... But thats kind of a backyard trick for junkers and what not..

It works though..lol

#8 Ā·
Where the scan tool comes in is when you need to bleed the ABS.

#12 Ā·
Not sure how long you drove with the brakes dragging but hopefully it didn't overheat your brake fluid enough to boil which introduces bubbles into the fluid and can cause a soft pedal.
I think that's what is going on with mine after the geniuses at the place I went to couldn't get my back brakes right and I had to take it back twice for dragging brakes. It now has a soft pedal.

#14 Ā·
Yea the air should be taken out when you bled them.

#15 Ā·
After driving it for a few days it does seem like the pedal is not as firm as before. Not sure how there could be any air still in there since the reservoir was always full and the brake lines constantly dripping fluid when I bolted them to the new calipers.

I was going to do a few ABS stops and try bleeding again, but once again how the hell could air have been introduced?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.